B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone does anyone else call and they tell you that they are not hiring ? I don't understand why they would have you come in for pre employment and they are not hiring and of course when you call the ones that answer are not nice like you shouldn't call there at all

They may say they are not hiring, but it is likely, "they are not currently calling off the list - at this time".

Patience, folks. We still have about 1.5 years and approximately 5,000 people on the list.

(TA) consists of what boroughs your allowed to work...depots if anyone knows please.

Search and ye shall find...

Edited by 161NewYork

Hello everyone does anyone else call and they tell you that they are not hiring ? I don't understand why they would have you come in for pre employment and they are not hiring and of course when you call the ones that answer are not nice like you shouldn't call there at all

One thing you can always gather from MTA is that they are always hiring... this is why you should never put all your eggs and one basket. Always apply for multiple positions within the company. Your chances are greater that way. But good luck and remain patient.

Search and ye shall find...

Click here. Long story short: Any borough, including Queens & Staten Island. However, once you accept a transfer to these boroughs, you are there for life due to the different unions, unless you plan on getting a promotion to either Dispatcher, Train Operator, Superintendent, etc.

Evening everyone.

So as much as i hate to post this but i have an issue that has come up that is preventing me from starting this job. I have already went for pre employment and i was just called this week for medical. Can some explain what can be done? I still want this job but starting the rest of this process right now is no longer going to work out for me. Is there anything i can do to save my number? Thanks guys.. for any assistance you can be to me right now.

Evening everyone.

So as much as i hate to post this but i have an issue that has come up that is preventing me from starting this job. I have already went for pre employment and i was just called this week for medical. Can some explain what can be done? I still want this job but starting the rest of this process right now is no longer going to work out for me. Is there anything i can do to save my number? Thanks guys.. for any assistance you can be to me right now.

All I can think of is letting the HR desk at Livingston Street know about your situation via a phone call, and then re-instating your list number when you're ready...keep in mind though that you're going to have to start from scratch when you're ready, in addition to the fact that you're going to be losing seniority and the possibility of at least starting to put years in towards your pension...

I wish you nothing but the best.

Welp. Today I had my medical. Pass everything but on hold for the silent killer. Blood pressure. So I went straight to my doc he gave a prescription for med to lower it, hopefully when I return wed if the June 12 class ain't filled I can get in. Oh. And am I the only one who the Asian dr asked to drop there pants and squat...lol. Cuz I heard some didn't have to do that.

Welp. Today I had my medical. Pass everything but on hold for the silent killer. Blood pressure. So I went straight to my doc he gave a prescription for med to lower it, hopefully when I return wed if the June 12 class ain't filled I can get in. Oh. And am I the only one who the Asian dr asked to drop there pants and squat...lol. Cuz I heard some didn't have to do that.

one doctor made me do that. He wasn't Asian. Try to get back as fast as you can. You don't want to be removed from the list. I got placed on medical hold for protein in urine. I did my blood work and urine at the doctor the same day. Just waiting for results. MTA just wants the reports so I should be back on Friday to give it to them and get this over with. Edited by tdevon2012

All I can think of is letting the HR desk at Livingston Street know about your situation via a phone call, and then re-instating your list number when you're ready...keep in mind though that you're going to have to start from scratch when you're ready, in addition to the fact that you're going to be losing seniority and the possibility of at least starting to put years in towards your pension...

I wish you nothing but the best.

Thanks man. It bothers me that this is something that I need to deal with right now. I been waiting for so long but I don't want to not be able to commit to a training that I may not be able to complete.I didn't want to ruin my chances by getting into training and having to leave.. I don't think that would look good at all. I rather just deal with this now instead of just waiting more time by going to training and  not completing it.  It would not be fair to the MTA and myself. 

I have a question about re-enlisting my name. Does that save my spot on the list and I would be the next person that they would call when they hire from that list? Would my name stay on the list until 2020 or until they are complete with all the names on the list? I am really sorry  about all the questions. Just trying to get an idea on what I am getting into. I really don't want to lose my chance to work for the MTA  and the issue that I am dealing with is more important than even a job right at this moment now.. I don't think think I will be off the list more than 3 months but who knows, so that's why I am asking the questions. Thanks again for all the help.

Here is my unique situation. I get home from work and have a letter from MTA and it was for pre employment today may 31st at 730am. It the letter was dated may 25th and post marked may 26th. It's OK I will call them tommorrow, however I already went to pee employment on March 27th so I'm wondering why they are sending another letter with the pre employment application. I also noticed the rate of pay went up from 22.67 to 23.26 per hour. I can't wait to give a call no found out why I have gotten skipped for medical. What list number where you guys that medical today if you don't me asking? I'm list 312x

Offhand, have you tried cinnamon? A day or two before I donate blood, I always incorporate some cinnamon into my meals and it always works. If you don't believe me, not only read this article, but I would also suggest playing around with Google as well.

As far as dropping your pants and squatting...don't feel guilty, they made me do that back in 2014 as well...

I have a question about re-enlisting my name. Does that save my spot on the list and I would be the next person that they would call when they hire from that list? Would my name stay on the list until 2020 or until they are complete with all the names on the list? I am really sorry about all the questions. Just trying to get an idea on what I am getting into. I really don't want to lose my chance to work for the MTA and the issue that I am dealing with is more important than even a job right at this moment now.. I don't think think I will be off the list more than 3 months but who knows, so that's why I am asking the questions. Thanks again for all the help.

Your spot on the list will be saved for you, however you would not be the next person they would call. When you are ready, as per post #4796, you have to send an email to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov asking them to re-instate your list number. According to post #4803, they will restore it within that week. Once that is done, when Ms. Chestnut and the HR office is ready to call the next round of candidates for Bus Operator, you will be considered within that group.

What's nice about this in a way is that you'll have a lower list number over most of the people that will be going down to 180 Livingston Street for the first time. This means that they'll process you a little faster, since they do go by list number, and after training, once it comes time to "pick" your depots, you will probably be fortunate to pick first, since again, they go by list number.

As far as asking all of these questions...don't worry about it, and don't sweat it. We're all here to help each other out.

Here is my unique situation. I get home from work and have a letter from MTA and it was for pre employment today may 31st at 730am. It the letter was dated may 25th and post marked may 26th. It's OK I will call them tommorrow, however I already went to pee employment on March 27th so I'm wondering why they are sending another letter with the pre employment application. I also noticed the rate of pay went up from 22.67 to 23.26 per hour. I can't wait to give a call no found out why I have gotten skipped for medical. What list number where you guys that medical today if you don't me asking? I'm list 312x

If you are free tomorrow (that is the entire day), Thursday, just show up and explain the situation  - you never know.

March 27 to May 31 is approximately 90 days, so you would have to redo the drug test again.

The pay rate went up to coincide with the recently ratified Transport Worker's Union (TWU) Local 100 contract (TA Surface) with the MTA (again, specifically TA). Note, however, if you were to transfer to Staten Island, who's operators are represented by the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 726, you would (until a contract, containing a pay raise is negotiated & ratified) revert to the $22.69 rate. Not sure about Queens Division who is represented by ATU Local 1056 .

Edited by 161NewYork

If you are free tomorrow (that is the entire day), Thursday, just show up and explain the situation  - you never know.

March 27 to May 31 is approximately 90 days, so you would have to redo the drug test again.

The pay rate went up to coincide with the recently ratified Transport Worker's Union (TWU) Local 100 contract (TA Surface) with the MTA (again, specifically TA). Note, however, if you were to transfer to Staten Island, who's operators are represented by the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 726, you would (until a contract, containing a pay raise is negotiated & ratified) revert to the $22.69 rate. Not sure about Queens Division who is represented by ATU Local 1056 .

Thank you unfortunately I am not free all day tomorrow but I will call them. March 27 to may 31 is a lil more then 60 days so technically I have 30 more days. Hopefully they tell me it's a mistake and take the drug test and then do medical that would be sweet(wishful thinking) lol.

+young good looks. If I had know first hand I would've really been on it. I got dot approved a yr ago and really thought nothing of it, the one who took my bp said she would of pushed me through but it's the dr final call, thank gawd my neck size wasn't 17 too. I really would be screwed. Hoping to come in Wednesday after taking these meds that drastically dropped my pressure by 30.

Sparrow857 It's Performance and Evaluation training. You probably had an accident or incident or maybe a bad ride or something that happen so when that happens most times they send you to Zerega for retraining. It's not anything bad but you don't want too many things happening on probabtion because your goal is to finish it without getting extended.

HI all, I am 3 months on job, tomorrow I have to report to zerega for instruction , does any know what P and E instruction is?????

is it ur birth month they usually send people to zerega once a year during ur birth month. Does anyone know where the last class picks for the depot was??

HI all, I am 3 months on job, tomorrow I have to report to zerega for instruction , does any know what P and E instruction is?????

Sparrow857 It's Performance and Evaluation training. You probably had an accident or incident or maybe a bad ride or something that happen so when that happens most times they send you to Zerega for retraining. It's not anything bad but you don't want too many things happening on probabtion because your goal is to finish it without getting extended.

Yeah no need to worry..... You will be driving again with a Supt doing a day 10 route just to make sure you are still operating the bus the way you were taught. No pressure or scary moments. Like Fcoral05 mention you only get sent there for many reasons especially if you're still a probie. You will also probably meet the probation officer for counseling.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Hey thanks, yes it was an accident, thanks for quit reply, takes off some of the pressure off , zerega then in the morning..

Quick update speak to ms. Chestnut, I have fill out the pre employment package again and she told me I could report tommorrow or next week. I will be reporting tomorrow morning since I'm free all day. Hopefully if all goes well I can get into the June 12th. class.