B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Going to Day 10 on Monday and am stressed out. Any advice? I got gigged on bumping a curb trying to navigate all those double parked cars. Since Ill be driving out of Zerega does that mean I will do day 10 in the Bronx? So far not scanning my mirrors, and bumping a curb are the only mistakes I made, but, unfortunately I made them on qualification days. Manhattan is a jungle to test in.

Any advice for Monday would be appreciated. Thanks 

First, take a couple of deep breaths and relax. Day 10 will be in the Bronx only, no pre-trip, no backing up. It will include driving on the local streets, and the highway. If I was you, from my horror in 2014, just forget about the second Superintendent, do what you were taught and you'll be fine.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to Day 10 on Monday and am stressed out. Any advice? I got gigged on bumping a curb trying to navigate all those double parked cars. Since Ill be driving out of Zerega does that mean I will do day 10 in the Bronx? So far not scanning my mirrors, and bumping a curb are the only mistakes I made, but, unfortunately I made them on qualification days. Manhattan is a jungle to test in.

Not sure why you waited until day 10 to ask for advice. Should have asked for advice sooner and you might have been told something useful by someone here that could have maybe helped on the other qualifying days. Oh well that's water under the bridge now. As far as scanning your mirrors just make sure when your looking at them you let the superintendents know your scanning them. Announce it. Say scanning my right mirror scanning my left mirror etc. even tho they may see u scanning it your best bet is to announce it to them so they know for sure.

I went to day 10 myself in March and knew what to expect. Reading all the post on this forum made me confident. It helps to go there thinking that you can do this. I knew I was a good driver and the mistakes I made on previous qualifying days were unfortunate but can be avoided.

Go with a positive attitude. That will help you not to be nervous.Apart from driving, you'll serve few bus stops. Call out everything you see..You really have to do something serious to fail on day 10 like hitting a curb, running a yellow light etc. Good luck...

You really have to do something serious to fail on day 10 like hitting a curb, running a yellow light etc. Good luck...

From my Day 10 back in 2014, I made mistakes which were the following: (Keep in mind I had a permit at the time, and I now have the CDL)

1) The Superintendent I had on Days 8 & 9 told me that I didn't have to worry about calling anything out, and the two Superintendents on Day 10 wanted me to call everything out

2) I overtook a tractor-trailer without honking my horn at all.

3) While on I-95 going S/B, I made an improper lane change by checking my mirrors with my eyes and not physically moving my head.

Good evening everyone,

Just a real quick question. About 2 weeks ago I went down to Livingston for Pre-employment. I got called in for medical the week after. The issue I had was that my mother had to go in for emergency surgery and she needed someone to take care of her for a few months. I emailed Mr's Chestnut and explained the situation and told her that at this time I was not able to make it medical that weekend and I would have put everything on hold until my mom got better which would be in a few months.

I was wondering, I know when the time comes I need to reinstate my name, was just wondering how long it takes for the MTA to report my name back to DCAS so I could reinstate my name. As of right now DCAS still says I am on the list and I am on an outstanding  certification. I know the system would tell me I am off the list and will have to reinstate my name. I am not ready yet to do this, but I just want to make sure that I have this option ready when the time comes to reinstate my name..

I hope this all makes sense  

Thanks for your tme

Good evening everyone,

Just a real quick question. About 2 weeks ago I went down to Livingston for Pre-employment. I got called in for medical the week after. The issue I had was that my mother had to go in for emergency surgery and she needed someone to take care of her for a few months. I emailed Mr's Chestnut and explained the situation and told her that at this time I was not able to make it medical that weekend and I would have put everything on hold until my mom got better which would be in a few months.

I was wondering, I know when the time comes I need to reinstate my name, was just wondering how long it takes for the MTA to report my name back to DCAS so I could reinstate my name. As of right now DCAS still says I am on the list and I am on an outstanding  certification. I know the system would tell me I am off the list and will have to reinstate my name. I am not ready yet to do this, but I just want to make sure that I have this option ready when the time comes to reinstate my name..

I hope this all makes sense  

Thanks for your tme

It all depends on when the mta sends your name back. It usually is a couple of months and, your name would be removed. Once that happens if you you can email dcas at certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov to placed yourself back on the list immediately. At this time all you can do is call every sunday for the DCAS hotline to see if your name has been removed.  

Good luck today. Call everything out, remember once you make it you don't call out anything anymore. See a pigeon in the road, call it out "HAZARD, ANIMAL ON ROAD, APPROACHING WITH CAUTION".LOL. I know it seems silly some of the things you can call out but Remember you are trying to show them you can see everything. At zerega make sure you call out the draw bridge, It's to the ridght as you exit zerega and make another right to go towards highway.( Could be tricky to spot, since you gonna be a little nervous)

Again good luck, remember today call everything and make believe you are boxing on the seat. Move your whole body, forward,back, left, right looking at mirrors and over your shoulder as you are pulling out from stops.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by dac9050

Even though I am going in as a conductor I passed road test today. What a burden off my shoulders. I did very good and, since it was hot out the DMV instructor didn't make me do the whole pre-trip she just wanted to get it done and over lol.

Congrats! I'm glad the heat wave worked in your favor.

Even though I am going in as a conductor I passed road test today. What a burden off my shoulders. I did very good and, since it was hot out the DMV instructor didn't make me do the whole pre-trip she just wanted to get it done and over lol.

Man that's smooth. To have a opportunity for multiple positions at MTA at the same time. That's smooth... and not only that but passing the 10 day. Man congrats my ninja.

Man that's smooth. To have a opportunity for multiple positions at MTA at the same time. That's smooth... and not only that but passing the 10 day. Man congrats my ninja.

He did NOT pass the 10-day training...he just successfully passed the CDL road test, that's all.

Hello everyone i wanted to know if anyone know what happens if your approaching 90 days since you went for pre employment and you didnt get a call for the medical as of yet. Do they make you go to do pre employment again or what happens? 

Hello everyone i wanted to know if anyone know what happens if your approaching 90 days since you went for pre employment and you didnt get a call for the medical as of yet. Do they make you go to do pre employment again or what happens? 

They won't make you do the entire pre-employment process again, however you will have to take another drug test, since that's only valid for thirty (30) consecutive days, which includes holidays, weekends, etc.

When I went back the 2nd time they me fill out the pre employment package again even tho I went in March. I was mailed another pre employment packet and had to fill it out. This time I was called back for medical the following week tho.

When I went back the 2nd time they me fill out the pre employment package again even tho I went in March. I was mailed another pre employment packet and had to fill it out. This time I was called back for medical the following week tho.

Interesting...just make sure everything is concise with the same exact information and you should be fine.

Wow ok. When you went back a second time was it pass your 90 days?

Anyone have any updates? last number called or if anyone know if they reached the 33** yet

Wow ok. When you went back a second time was it pass your 90 days?Anyone have any updates? last number called or if anyone know if they reached the 33** yet

A little over 60 days, I think they wanted me to into the June 12th class which I would be fine didn't get knew medical hold for sleep apena. All my other test where good but my necksize was greater then 17inches it was 19 inches