B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anywhere from 3 to 90 calendar days. After 30 calendar days, you will perform a second drug test, since they're only valid for 30 calendar days. When I got processed in late 2013 & early 2014, I had to take three, yes 3 drug tests since it took a while for me to get my medical hold cleared.

thanks appreciate hope i get called before the 30 days @young 

Hello,

I'm hoping someone could help me out with an answer to this question....

Do you have to have a Class A license to drive those double MTA buses? Has any new driver been assigned to one on their route? Do you get extra pay for driving one of those? Thanks in advance

Hello,

I'm hoping someone could help me out with an answer to this question....

Do you have to have a Class A license to drive those double MTA buses? Has any new driver been assigned to one on their route? Do you get extra pay for driving one of those? Thanks in advance

No just your regular class BP. You will only be trained to operate an artic bus only if the depot you pick or assigned too has them. There are a few depots that has artic buses so if you were to pick one of the depots that actually has them, you will be trained on them.

They are not hard to operate once they train you for an hour or so. You actually do get paid a dollar more from the time you're in the seat according to the run and route. You will learn that term down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by TheNYCTBeast

Hey

I went in last week for pre employment processing and did my drug test, told to wait 3-90 days to hear back, however I got my CDL permit last week and there is a A3 restriction on it is that a issue?

A3 and K are OK as well as B(for corrective lenses).

You do you need to bring your HS diploma?

high school diploma isn't required for bus operator 4600 check out notice of exam

The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $20.9675 per hour for a 40-hour week, with an increase to $29.9550 in the fourth year of service. These rates are subject to change. The benefits of this position include, but are not limited to, night and weekend salary differentials, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, a comprehensive medical plan, and a pension plan.

Education and Experience Requirements: There are no formal education or experience requirements for this exam.

High school diploma IS required for exam 4600, also the salaries you posted are incorrect, the original 4600 exam had higher salaries as well as tier 6 which now gives you top pay after 5 years, just trying to help out, go to your high school

If you don't have diploma handy, they will give you a paper stating you have diploma with a raised seal on letter

High school diploma IS required for exam 4600, also the salaries you posted are incorrect, the original 4600 exam had higher salaries as well as tier 6 which now gives you top pay after 5 years, just trying to help out, go to your high school

If you don't have diploma handy, they will give you a paper stating you have diploma with a raised seal on letter

Ok so you do need a HS Dipolma? Alright might have to contact my high school cause I can't seem to find mines. Also you said that an accident on my abstract wouldn't effect me from getting hired right?

Regarding accident you so have to tell them. They will ask was there a police report, also it my show on your abstract. I had an accident with an MTA bus, minor accident, better to disclose if your caught in a lie, your gone.

I barely grazed a parked car minor nothing serious but there was a police report. It's on my abstract but nothing crazy

HS diploma?..... Technically they not suppose to ask since the application states no education experience needed. Depends who's receiving your paper work some ask and some don't.

thats same thing i thought since the notice of examation didn't say it was needed

Edited by mastap123

For anyone wondering what the crossover from OA to TA is.

Was at Zerega today and I was there the whole day with the new comers. Filled out the same paper work as them except I wasn't appointed to a depot. Instead Supt. Soto told me to go to 195 Montague St the following day at 8am. I asked him what I'm going to be doing there and he said he honestly doesn't know. What I think is, I re-do all my benefits that I did last time as an OA except I'll be under TA this time.

**ALSO**

Finish your probationary period because he said that the 5 months I served as an OA will not count and that my probation starts all over again today(7/10/17) kind of upset that I have to do that.

For anyone wondering what the crossover from OA to TA is.

Was at Zerega today and I was there the whole day with the new comers. Filled out the same paper work as them except I wasn't appointed to a depot. Instead Supt. Soto told me to go to 195 Montague St the following day at 8am. I asked him what I'm going to be doing there and he said he honestly doesn't know. What I think is, I re-do all my benefits that I did last time as an OA except I'll be under TA this time.

**ALSO**

Finish your probationary period because he said that the 5 months I served as an OA will not count and that my probation starts all over again today(7/10/17) kind of upset that I have to do that.

Thank you for sharing....Now I know I'm just finish my 3 months that i have left.

Aside from TA being Civil Service, It's for people who want to go to Staten Island or Queens, but you are there permanently once you transfer to one of those boroughs. I don't know what other benefits there is from doing the crossover if there is anymore.

Think this was asked before but I could be wrong...what's the benefit of TA over OA?

Edited by scorpio2360

Aside from TA being Civil Service, It's for people who want to go to Staten Island or Queens, but you are there permanently once you transfer to one of those boroughs. I don't know what other benefits there is from doing the crossover if there is anymore.

You can apply and take a promotional exam, within TA to either Train Operator or Dispatcher...but with OA, you're restricted to promotions within the Department of Buses, such as Dispatcher.