B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Actually within OA you can still move up away from the Dept of Buses. The only department you wont be able to transfer to is the train. There are plenty of opportunities out there within transit beside DOB

Being TA secures your job under the civil service law when it comes to laying off or terminating due to financial crisis within the organization and of course your pension is through NYCER where OA pension is through a private company but NYCER still monitors it. Being TA your pension follows you or you get credit for years of service if you want to work for another civil service job in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from TA being Civil Service, It's for people who want to go to Staten Island or Queens, but you are there permanently once you transfer to one of those boroughs. I don't know what other benefits there is from doing the crossover if there is anymore.

For anyone interested, please use the search feature as this question has been asked over and over again. 

You can transfer in between boroughs (Queens, SI, TWU-represented depots) however, you'll likely lose all seniority. From what I understand and for example if you specifically want Jamaica Depot, you are stuck in Jamaica Depot for life. On Staten Island, we have our own division seniority roster and can transfer between the four depots as desired during the system pick.

High school diploma IS required for exam 4600, also the salaries you posted are incorrect, the original 4600 exam had higher salaries as well as tier 6 which now gives you top pay after 5 years, just trying to help out, go to your high school

If you don't have diploma handy, they will give you a paper stating you have diploma with a raised seal on letter

I was not asked for my high school diploma when I went through final processing in October 2016.

If anyone was asked for a high school diploma, it was likely an error on their part. However, they could ask for this documentation as part of the background investigation process (e.g., because you listed this on the 21-page Comprehensive Personnel Document CPD).

As stated in the Notice of Examination here (PDF), 

Education and Experience Requirements: There are no formal education or experience requirements for this exam. 

Again, as I noted in a previous post the salary/wages have changed:

The pay rate went up [Ed. from the $22.69 specified in the Notice of Examination] to coincide with the recently ratified Transport Worker's Union (TWU) Local 100 contract (TA Surface) with the MTA (again, specifically TA). Note, however, if you were to transfer to Staten Island [Ed. from Zerega or another DOB division], who's operators are represented by the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 726, you would (until a contract, containing a pay raise is negotiated & ratified) revert to the $22.69 rate. Not sure about Queens Division who is represented by ATU Local 1056 .

Edited by 161NewYork

Only reason I asked is because the security company I worked for had the contact for security. I use to visit the depots that where MTA Bus Company(JFK, LaGuardia, College Point, Far Rockaway, Biasley Park). Although I don't think it matters what depot you do the 7/10 training out of. As long you as you get into a TA depot. One supervisor I spoke to said to be careful sometimes they offer you a Bus Company depot and then you don't get the TA rate. I don't know if it's true or may have changed. I just sharing my story of what he told me this was last year.

Had my day one today. Jfk depot. Got trolley brake twice. On acute turns. Securing the bus and air brakes will be repetition hopefully I get it.

You'll get there. Today was your first day so let the 4 to 5 days be a learning process. By day 5 you should get the hang of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Hey 161NewYork, yesterday at orientation I signed a paper asking to be sent to Staten Island / Castleton... does that count as my transfer request or do I still have to go to UPK and ask to request a transfer?

I see you are OA. I think that is it. I think you have to wait until the class finishes - but I am not qualified to answer that question.

What I do know, and what happens is: Once the transfer request is approved, you'll get sent over and have to ride all the SI local lines. After that, you'll be put into express line training with the probies who graduated. This is done with the union (one to two weeks). You will then pick a SI depot with the union (CA, CH or YU) based on whoever has openings - it seems like Charleston needs the most help at this moment in time. I believe you'll have seniority over the graduating probies regardless of your list number. I was temporarily knocked down a peg by an OA to TA transfer with a list number of 13XX, mine was below 15X (full story: he decided to go back to Manhattan because he loved artic buses so much - or as the story goes <_< ). 

The next pick is in August for Fall 2017.

Edited by 161NewYork

hey guys new to the forum when for my pre employment process on monday but i dont have my cdl permit so they gave a few of use the paper to get it and come back if we get it before the week is over no appointment needed but after we have to call and make a next appointment a[so my license is clean right now only one pending ticket carrying 4 points should i just eat the ticket and have nothing pending.because one of the rep said mta don't really like any pending ticket.thanks for any feed back

Edited by Humbleguy38

hey guys new to the forum when for my pre employment process on monday but i dont have my cdl permit so they gave a few of use the paper to get it and come back if we get it before the week is over no appointment needed but after we have to call and make a next appointment a[so my license is clean right now only one pending ticket carrying 4 points should i just eat the ticket and have nothing pending.because one of the rep said mta don't really like any pending ticket.thanks for any feed back

Eat it. In order to work for the city, you can have nothing pending against your license, including tickets, points (maximum of 4), accidents (maximum of 2, whether you were at fault or not), etc.

Did my drug test yesterday #43**. Will I be called in for medical before December? Trying to plan out my vacation days with my current job LOL

Yes. You might have to go back down to take another drug test, after the first one expires, since they only last 30 (thirty) calendar days, however they will probably and most likely call you for medical before the second drug test expires.

I took my drug test today and they gave me papers to fill out at home.

How long do they usually take when they call you back?

They tell you 3 to 90 days. Because they can get back to you within a week or 2 weeks. For me it took 2 plus months to get called back from a second drug test then after that they Called me in for medical the very next week