B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to get an abstract from a different state and my abstract is showing a ticket from 2014 that was paid but it gave me 3 points so my abstract shows 6 points all together over 7 years....doesn't that first ticket roll off after 18months? Or am I completely screwed?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I had to get an abstract from a different state and my abstract is showing a ticket from 2014 that was paid but it gave me 3 points so my abstract shows 6 points all together over 7 years....doesn't that first ticket roll off after 18months? Or am I completely screwed?

It is up to four points within three years on a rolling basis (July 14, 2014 - July 17, 2017. You may still have a chance. Bring your abstracts and let them decide.

Unless recently changed, they look at the day of violation for example, you received a speeding ticket on Highway 301 in Waldo on July 1, 2014 and were found guilty (date of conviction) with an associated penalty of 4 points on September 8, 2014, then the day of violation was on July 1, 2014. This ticket and the associated points will (should) not count.

I believe HR will "translate" out of state violations into NYS violations. - Not sure how this works.

Again - let them decide.

Edited by 161NewYork

whats next after you bring in clearance letter from the doctor

when doing the 10 day training is it Monday to Friday or Monday to Sunday

After you bring in the clearance letter and you get cleared by MAC (Medical Assessment Center), you'll report back to the HR Desk. There, you will be given back the original papers you had to fill out and wait for final processing. Once you're done with final processing, then it's off to Zerega, on a different day.

The 10-day training is Monday to Friday, unless there's a holiday, like Labor Day, or a snow day, then they'll make it up on the weekend.

After you bring in the clearance letter and you get cleared by MAC (Medical Assessment Center), you'll report back to the HR Desk. There, you will be given back the original papers you had to fill out and wait for final processing. Once you're done with final processing, then it's off to Zerega, on a different day.

The 10-day training is Monday to Friday, unless there's a holiday, like Labor Day, or a snow day, then they'll make it up on the weekend.

thanks young appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions

im assuming line training is Monday-Friday like 10day training 

how long after you pass the 10 day training do you start the line training

once you pass the 10 day training is that the last step before your offically hired as a bus operator  

thanks young appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions

im assuming line training is Monday-Friday like 10day training

how long after you pass the 10 day training do you start the line training

once you pass the 10 day training is that the last step before your offically hired as a bus operator

After 10 days, you have 2 more days where you will report to union general information day and the following day back to Zerega for more HR stuff and you will be picking to what ever depot is available at that time.

After day 12 (Zerega) you have to report to the depot you pick which will be your home for the rest of the year for orientation and ETC.

You start line training on day 14 which is after orientation day with your respective home depot. Every depot operates differently when it comes to line training. Lately the first week they have you line trained in the AM to get the feel of day light and the hours starts to change to late night line training the following week just so you get the feel operating at night. Once again every depot operates differently and expect to also line train on weekends also.

After 10 days, you have 2 more days where you will report to union general information day and the following day back to Zerega for more HR stuff and you will be picking to what ever depot is available at that time.

After day 12 (Zerega) you have to report to the depot you pick which will be your home for the rest of the year for orientation and ETC.

You start line training on day 14 which is after orientation day with your respective home depot. Every depot operates differently when it comes to line training. Lately the first week they have you line trained in the AM to get the feel of day light and the hours starts to change to late night line training the following week just so you get the feel operating at night. Once again every depot operates differently and expect to also line train on weekends also.

thanks once again for sharing some knowledge i appreciate it @nyctbeast

thanks once again for sharing some knowledge i appreciate it @nyctbeast

Anytime. Just here to help everyone get on board.

Did my drug test last week and got called in to do medical this week...tomorrow to be exact. I know I'll be put on medical hold for the sleep apnea thing. So what would I need to do to get off hold?

First, the physician is going to check you out. Once the physician is done examining you, then he/she will tell you what you're on hold for. Depending on what you're on hold for, will depend on what you have to do to get it off. From reading the B/O 2613 thread and this one, some examples, off the top of my mind, are:

-Blood Pressure - anything that is not in between 110/70 and 130/90, you'll be placed on hold (need blood work done at your doctor). If it's high, I would suggest sprinkling cinnamon onto your food - works for me all the time!!

-Diabetes - if your numbers are good, no problem. If your numbers are bad, a.k.a. out of control - medical hold (need to see your primary care physician)

-Vision - if you wear glasses, just bring them to be on the safe side

-Sleep Apnea - if your neck size is 17 inches or larger, you will be put on medical hold. You're going to have to go to your primary care physician (PCP) and get a sleep study done. If the results are negative - just bring the documentation to MAC (Medical Assessment Center) and you'll be good. If the results are positive - you're going to probably have to obtain a CPAP machine and sleep with it for a month. Whatever happens after that, I don't know.

Good luck!!