B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Queens, we have a Trader Joe's do they sell it in there?

im not a 100% trader joes sells it but you can get 

goggle where is the closet health food store are herbal store to you i know you get it there for sure

walmart sells it too

Drink lots of water. Do not drink coffee before the test. Eat a banana before going in and do some push ups. And stay away from salty foods for a lil that raises BP. Before I got into transit I worked access a ride n I had to go thru BP every 2 yrs that's the tricks.

Oh and also if you smoke cigarettes don't smoke that morning nicotine raises BP.

...Before I got into transit I worked access a ride n I had to go thru BP every 2 yrs that's the tricks....

The reason why is because that's when your medical certificate expires...I have one that's on file with the DMV, my last medical was done in March of 2016, and the certificate is due on March of 2018...click here if anyone is unsure of what we are talking about (which is optional for Bus Operator, except if you operate the S89 route)

i always have a low number on my blood pressure i just check it and its 130/66 will that be a problem my wife is a nurse so we have a blood pressure machine at home

As far as MAC (Medical Assessment Center) is concerned, anything from 110/70 to 130/90 is acceptable...just remember that they check both arms...

Edited by +Young+
Editing purposes..

best news all week  Upon successful completion of the medical evaluation, consistent with applicable laws, any criminal conviction(s) record will be reviewed.  If you are still interested in this position, please return to our facility at 180 Livingston Street (between Smith and Hoyt Streets), 5th floor, Brooklyn, New York on Friday, July 28, 2017 at 7:30am to complete the final phase of the process.    YOU ARE BEING CONSIDERED FOR THE CLASS THAT STARTS ON MONDAY, AUGUST 7, 2017

best news all week Upon successful completion of the medical evaluation, consistent with applicable laws, any criminal conviction(s) record will be reviewed. If you are still interested in this position, please return to our facility at 180 Livingston Street (between Smith and Hoyt Streets), 5th floor, Brooklyn, New York on Friday, July 28, 2017 at 7:30am to complete the final phase of the process. YOU ARE BEING CONSIDERED FOR THE CLASS THAT STARTS ON MONDAY, AUGUST 7, 2017

When did you take your drug test?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

best news all week  Upon successful completion of the medical evaluation, consistent with applicable laws, any criminal conviction(s) record will be reviewed.  If you are still interested in this position, please return to our facility at 180 Livingston Street (between Smith and Hoyt Streets), 5th floor, Brooklyn, New York on Friday, July 28, 2017 at 7:30am to complete the final phase of the process.    YOU ARE BEING CONSIDERED FOR THE CLASS THAT STARTS ON MONDAY, AUGUST 7, 2017

good luck and the all best

Edited by mastap123

I have a question, how can you be on medical hold?

IMHO, the most easiest way you can be put on hold is if you have a medical condition which is not under control. Some examples of this are either high or low blood pressure, diabetes, especially if your numbers are not good, sleep apnea, etc. In addition, once you go into medical, you will be required to fill out a questionnaire on a computer, which they will eventually print out for the physician to look over. If you say "yes" to any of those questions, and you do not have documentation to prove that it's under control, you will also be put on medical hold.

IMHO, the most easiest way you can be put on hold is if you have a medical condition which is not under control. Some examples of this are either high or low blood pressure, diabetes, especially if your numbers are not good, sleep apnea, etc. In addition, once you go into medical, you will be required to fill out a questionnaire on a computer, which they will eventually print out for the physician to look over. If you say "yes" to any of those questions, and you do not have documentation to prove that it's under control, you will also be put on medical hold.

So let's say I go to my doctor and he says I don't have high blood pressure but when the MTA physician check, the number come back high again, what happens next?

And How long can you be put on medical hold?

So let's say I go to my doctor and he says I don't have high blood pressure but when the MTA physician check, the number come back high again, what happens next?

And How long can you be put on medical hold?

Well, for Blood Pressure, anything from 110/70 to 130/90 to acceptable. From reading the various Bus Operator threads, you just have to go to your Primary Care Physician (PCP), get some blood work done, and if the results are negative, bring the documentation to Livingston Street and you're fine.

As far as how long you can be on medical hold, as long as you need to get the hold cleared. Let me remind you of what happened to me:

So with a list number in the 270's for B/O Exam 2613, I was called in to take my 1st drug test in mid-November of 2013 and a second drug test in mid-December of 2013. December 31st I got called in for medical. Once in medical, not only did I get placed on medical hold, I also got diagnosed with muscle spasm in my legs. So, I went to my PCP, and I had to go to a neurologist, in order to get some tests done.

By the time I got cleared by the neurologist, my second drug test expired. Therefore, not only did I have to take a third drug test, and wait a few days for the results, but by the time I was able to go for final processing, it was a day late to be in the 1/27/14 class, so I had to wait two more weeks to be in the 2/10/2014 class.

Just keep in mind that your drug tests are good for thirty (30) calendar days and your medical examinations are good for three [3] months. 

Well, for Blood Pressure, anything from 110/70 to 130/90 to acceptable. From reading the various Bus Operator threads, you just have to go to your Primary Care Physician (PCP), get some blood work done, and if the results are negative, bring the documentation to Livingston Street and you're fine.

As far as how long you can be on medical hold, as long as you need to get the hold cleared. Let me remind you of what happened to me:

So with a list number in the 270's for B/O Exam 2613, I was called in to take my 1st drug test in mid-November of 2013 and a second drug test in mid-December of 2013. December 31st I got called in for medical. Once in medical, not only did I get placed on medical hold, I also got diagnosed with muscle spasm in my legs. So, I went to my PCP, and I had to go to a neurologist, in order to get some tests done.

By the time I got cleared by the neurologist, my second drug test expired. Therefore, not only did I have to take a third drug test, and wait a few days for the results, but by the time I was able to go for final processing, it was a day late to be in the 1/27/14 class, so I had to wait two more weeks to be in the 2/10/2014 class.

Just keep in mind that your drug tests are good for thirty (30) calendar days and your medical examinations are good for three [3] months.

Damn you pretty much had to wait a month. Thank you so much for the info Young. I'll probably get blood work done Monday. Until then my main focus is to lower my blood pressure. Didn't help I ate fast food earlier on the week lol

Hey havent been on here for a pretty long time just wanted to take the time to say wass up to everyone and to give a heads up to everyone once u join transit many things will change.. i got in about 5 months ago and the job is not what i though overall is a good job but is alot of pressure and management is extra tuff on employees while on probation... im still in but honestly considerin lettin it go bc is not what i though it was . I dont mean to bring anyones hopes down im just givin people on here some feedback incase so ya know wat to expect ..

Hey havent been on here for a pretty long time just wanted to take the time to say wass up to everyone and to give a heads up to everyone once u join transit many things will change.. i got in about 5 months ago and the job is not what i though overall is a good job but is alot of pressure and management is extra tuff on employees while on probation... im still in but honestly considerin lettin it go bc is not what i though it was . I dont mean to bring anyones hopes down im just givin people on here some feedback incase so ya know wat to expect ..

What about the job that's encouraging you to leave?

Damn you pretty much had to wait a month. Thank you so much for the info Young. I'll probably get blood work done Monday. Until then my main focus is to lower my blood pressure. Didn't help I ate fast food earlier on the week lol

No problem...try to incorporate cinnamon into your food, either by mixing it in or sprinkling it on...always works for me...

I have heard that probation is rough. Just hang in there - 7 more months to go and then you'll have the union behind your back to support you...you can do this...

The management is very tuff on u they want to put too much pressure on you instead of makin u feel comfortable while ur on probation.. so is like they make u spend ur day out there under pressure scare to not have anythin happen bc they will give u a hard hit for any little thing.. and the union atleast the union at the depot dont ever do anythin all they say is well we cant do much since ur still on probation .. is just alot of stress is defenitly a good job but alot of stress.. if ur drivin and someone falls in ur bus that is considered and incident and they want to extend u for that and if u have accidents and stuff they want to extend you .. is like in transits view the never employee is always wrong they never wantto understand u .. like one of the dispatchers told me they just see u as one more number and they dont care much bc they know if is not u then theres thousands of more people behind waitin for the job...now i been on for 5 months havent had any accidents or incidents i did have customer complaint from a wheel chair customer nothin major honestly speakin and transit is makin a big deal about that to the point that i go to work stress every day without me actually doin anythin to no one just bc the customer is always right especially with the disable people u look at them and they want to say u looked at them wrong and transit wants to gibe u a hard time.. defenitly give it a shot but just know is not like what everyone thinks it is when i did the process i though this was alot better and easier and is not it is avery stressful job u dont know who is who and there is always someone watchin u ... me personally i dont feel comfortable workin under so much pressure bc we are all human and we all make mistakes and one little mistake this people will make a huge situation about .. is like they not there to work with u instead they are there to work against u thats how i feel..

No problem...try to incorporate cinnamon into your food, either by mixing it in or sprinkling it on...always works for me...

I have heard that probation is rough. Just hang in there - 7 more months to go and then you'll have the union behind your back to support you...you can do this...

ur correct andima try and hang on but listen if im payin union dudes someone should be able to represent me to help me bc thats what im payin for instead they just back up and keave u alone ... as i explain my situation just bc the complaint came from a wheel chair customer there tryn extend me 6 more months in probation and they sayin if im bit happy with that then my other option is to leave the job... and honestly all i did was that i loaded the people in the bus first and then loaded the wheel chair so i didnt have to wry about the people walkin in on me while im tryna tied my wheelchair and so the wheel chair customer says that they are priority and that i had to get her in the bus first abd i explain to her why i did it that way and she said that the law says there first and i tried speakin to her and apologizin and she still made the complain and transit is makin a big deal about nothin bc ok they have priority but in the end thats nothin is not like i crash or anyone felt or anythin like that but they have they way of doin things and since im on probation and they can basically do what ever they want with u while ur on probation i guess thats why they want to give me that hard hit ..and i really woukd want to have to work u der this pressure for an extra 6 months on top of the 7 i have left is like startin all over basically which sucks ... every driver in long time says that they are makin things harder and harder every day and not tryna work to help anyone bc so much people want the job..

any "job" and trust me on this all they will ever see us as is a #. So you do the same, make your numbers and do it safely don't let anyone break ya stride, do ya hours and make ya bread go home and chill. The job alone is stressful don't stress ya self out on things you'll have very little control over. Good luck.