B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

It didn't plan out for me I'm so devastated

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Don't be disappointed or discouraged there are still hope to try other things and also by re-applying for another schedule exams.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't mind sharing, what were the reason they said you didn't qualify?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I failed because I miss judged a turn from a bus stop. I was attempting make a regular right turn when I should of done a hook turn. There was an overhead pass beam that I needed to clear on my left side and I wasn't able to do so, and the instructor had to reverse the bus and that's an automatic fail.

Anyone have supt. Evans out of JFK? How is she/he? Any personal tips? Lol

I had her today for my final training and from what I experienced she is no joke she was on my case for every little thing. So just prepare for a tongue lashing if she sees you do something wrong.

On 8/7/2017 at 10:26 AM, MCID4500Lover92 said:

It didn't plan out for me I'm so devastated

My sincere condolences...I know how you feel...I couldn't stop crying for a week when I failed back in 2014...

On 8/7/2017 at 4:15 PM, MCID4500Lover92 said:

I failed because I miss judged a turn from a bus stop. I was attempting make a regular right turn when I should of done a hook turn. There was an overhead pass beam that I needed to clear on my left side and I wasn't able to do so, and the instructor had to reverse the bus and that's an automatic fail.

From 2014: I remember the hook turn immediately after the bus stop, I don't remember the overhead pass beam though...

On 8/7/2017 at 6:36 PM, MCID4500Lover92 said:

Question: Does anyone know why it's 5 years to reapply for the Bus Operator position? and Does it include Mabstoa and MTA Bus?

Yes, unfortunately this includes MaBSTOA and MTA Bus. I think it's every 5 years because normally with NYC Transit, a civil service exam comes out every four [4] years, so I think their intention is to make you take two exams to get back in...besides trying to forget what you went through last time.

Good luck...

Edited by +Young+

My sincere condolences...I know how you feel...I couldn't stop crying for a week when I failed back in 2014...

From 2014: I remember the hook turn immediately after the bus stop, I don't remember the overhead pass beam though...

Yes, unfortunately this includes MaBSTOA and MTA Bus. I think it's every 5 years because normally with NYC Transit, a civil service exam comes out every four [4] years, so I think their intention is to make you take two exams to get back in...besides trying to forget what you went through last time.

Offhand, are you looking for a job? If so, my company is hiring...click here for details.

Good luck...

It was two bus stops on a divider one at the beginning of the block and one at the end and there was a overhead pass right after that

Offhand, are you looking for a job? If so, my company is hiring...click here for details.

Good luck...

If you don't mind could you tell me why you where disqualified?

If you don't mind could you tell me why you where disqualified?

Long story short: Going into this cold. At the time, I had only a permit, and I was making so many mistakes here and there from operating a bus for the first time. In addition, what ticked me off the most was that the instructor I had for the first seven days, who I also had on the 10th day, did a number of things which, in my opinion, were a big "no-no". One of them was not wearing a seat belt whenever he was in the operator's seat of the bus. I wrote a nasty letter to 2 Broadway afterwards (I wish I also wrote it to the Governor's office, DMV, etc.) and they were not happy with that.

This happened in February of 2014, so we'll see what happens in 18 months...

Good Depots? Its all a preference..... like myself I left ENY depot and went to Flatbush since its literally 5 mins away from home by car and nice good walking distance on a nice calm day. So everyone has a reason to what depot maybe the best for them. Your first year count so pick somewhere wise if you get the chance too. Probation period you can't be late or have attendance problem so this is why if you get the chance to pick a depot, make a wise choice.

I believe both ENY and Freshpond has the most bus lines in brooklyn. I know ENY for sure has about 10 -12 bus routes and that is not included with the school trippers routes.

ok thats true what said its about preference I'm leaning towards flatbush are jackie gleason hopefully i get into one of those depots

Tomorrow is my day 1 at LaGuardia Bus Depot with supt Cruickshank

good luck and all the best 

just listen to the instructor and you will fine

Hi guys, I didn't take this exam, but when lover92 said he didn't make it my heart is beating and nervous. Am a yellow cab driver in NYC for 11 years and the only exam am waiting for is the exam #7105 MaBSOA, I missed the rest, so am on this forum learning and getting experience before my time, am enjoying this forum very well, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So supt. Evans is (excuse my French) a bitch. I hated today so much lol

Agree from what I heard about Evans. Just hang in there, she's had alot of people resign on the spot cause they couldn't take it. Remember that's what day 8 and 9 are for. You get someone New. The people that stuck it out, qualified on day 9. Just try to take as much information and just hold on. First 7-10 days are the worst, they want to know who can handle the pressure and those who can't. Don't let one person who has a bad attitude, deviate you from the goal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by dac9050

So supt. Evans is (excuse my French) a bitch. I hated today so much lol

I hear ya...that's the feeling I got about my instructor towards the end of the 7-day training 3 & 1/2 years ago, especially since he never wore his seat belt...

Agree from what I heard about Evans. Just hang in there, she's had alot of people resign on the spot cause they couldn't take it. Remember that's what day 8 and 9 are for. You get someone New. The people that stuck it out, qualified on day 9. Just try to take as much information and just hold on. First 7-10 days are the worst, they want to know who can handle the pressure and those who can't. Don't let one person who has a bad attitude, deviate you from the goal.

Plus, Day 9 is going to be a repeat of Day 5 in Uptown Manhattan (North of 86th Street), so pay close attention that day. Besides that, just don't get into an accident, since that's an automatic Day 10.

Edited by +Young+
Modified as per Seven's comment...

I just want to give my two cents regarding qualifying to get the job. Majority of the Supt instructor are tough. Of course some are more understanding and less "Bad Ass" but you have to understand that they have been giving this position to make sure they get the right candidate that is able and capable doing this job. They cant just throw you the position if they feel like you are not operating the bus in a safe and professional level. Keep in mind that by them qualifying you, the supt is responsible for their decisions until you pass probation. Before they become instructors they went through the same course to get that title. And trust me the upper management level knows about the 7 days training process. All of the Supt Instructors were picked for a reason so its your job as a student to impress the instructor. Just do what you have to do and the job is yours.

I qualified with a tough Instructor and if i can see him again, I would thank him for applying those pressure during my 7 day training because today it just shows what they taught me.

Edited by TheNYCTBeast