B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Agreed with everyone. Again you have to make your own decision, on how much you are willing to put up with during the 10 stressful days, for a better future in the long run. Just like everything, it gets better with time. I'll be done with probation in one month, and so far it's only getting easier and easier not to let people or traffic get to you. Just drive one stop at a time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evans is cool; don't listen to Young. She trained me on the Novas and got at me for looking in my left mirror too much. Don't take what she says to heart. She's very cutthroat but if you get used to it and laugh it off, you'll be fine.

I trained with Evans on the Nova as well but Nova training comes after you qualify. You can't compare RTS,Nova,Flyer training with the 10 day qualifications. Classmate of mine hated her during the qualification because she's the military type who's always yelling at you for your mistakes. After you qualify and your on the bus with classmates, it's funny when the Superintendent is getting at you because you're already in, so there's nothing on the line. I like Evans too because it was all fun and games on the Nova, but I would not want her for my 7 day training.

day 2 training didnt go too bad we did hook turns out of the bus stop into a right turns come close to one crub and went over one slightly instructor notes remember to reference turns this is my second day ever driving a bus

question after right turn is set up and going 5mph into the turn and rear wheel is clear in the mirror how my accelation should be applying

Complete your turn completely before accelerating. The reason u go slow thru turns is so u don't hit anyone like a pedestrian. Finish the turn completely before accelerating.

Hit anybody or anything, such as another car. Also, don't forget to cover your brake and stop for those idiots if you have too!!

Yes good addition by young... cover your brake while turning. Yes indeed very very important. That extra even if it's a millisecond that it would take your foot to find the brake pedal instead of it already being covering the brake could make all the difference in the world. Cover your brake!!!! Also when you are going thru intersections cover your brake and let the instructor know you are covering your brake when going thru the intersection. Say it. Right before and during crossing the intersection cover the brake and say out loud covering my brake thru intersection so the superintendent hears it. He knows u will be covering your brake but he wants to hear you say it to make sure YOU know your doing it.

today my class got to pick depot and by surprise no depot was available for brooklyn only manhattan and the bronx had depots available 

if brooklyn isn't available for my class where would the next class be going

does any know how is manhattanville depot

They push alot of the classes to Manhattan because of the holidays. I'm at manhattanville, it's an ok Depot... Union not the greatest while your on probation but low seniority, so you can see a decent schedule within a year. I had midschedule last pick 1-9, and this pick I went late, off Thursday Friday.

today my class got to pick depot and by surprise no depot was available for brooklyn only manhattan and the bronx had depots available

if brooklyn isn't available for my class where would the next class be going

does any know how is manhattanville depot

Congrats! You have two choice if you would like to go to brooklyn. You can either put in a transfer and wait until a spot is available or you can wait till December when the General picks takes place and hopefully picked out of MV into a BK depot. General Pick is the cleanest way to bounce to depot to depot.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They push alot of the classes to Manhattan because of the holidays. I'm at manhattanville, it's an ok Depot... Union not the greatest while your on probation but low seniority, so you can see a decent schedule within a year. I had midschedule last pick 1-9, and this pick I went late, off Thursday Friday.

thanks dac9050 i start my line training on monday

i figured something wasn't right when only manhattan n bronx was available 

can't complain about it now just grateful i didn't get force to staten island like the class before mine

how is the bus routes from that depot

how is the parking at that depot 

how is the parking over 

Congrats! You have two choice if you would like to go to brooklyn. You can either put in a transfer and wait until a spot is available or you can wait till December when the General picks takes place and hopefully picked out of MV into a BK depot. General Pick is the cleanest way to bounce to depot to depot.

thanks @nyctbeast how soon can i put in a transfer for brooklyn and if i put in a transfer will i be able to pick again when the general picks come around in December

thanks dac9050 i start my line training on monday

i figured something wasn't right when only manhattan n bronx was available

can't complain about it now just grateful i didn't get force to staten island like the class before mine

how is the bus routes from that depot

how is the parking at that depot

how is the parking over

thanks @nyctbeast how soon can i put in a transfer for brooklyn and if i put in a transfer will i be able to pick again when the general picks come around in December

You can put in a transfer as soon as you head to MV. You have to fill out a paper with the union a d etc. Transfer request takes times depending what depot you are trying to get into if they have people ahead of you also waiting for a transfer.

General pick is a yearly thing that takes place at the end of the calendar year "December " and you are free to pick into another depot according to your agency titled "TA , OA" or union division. And yes if you get transfer you will still be able to pick.

General pick is your best option to transfer to Brooklyn as you would get to find a open spot at a Depot you would want.

Parking at the depot is a bit hard because there is alot of construction right now, during the am after 8am or early by 230pm you will not find parking. You can have someone teach you about 2nd floor parking or hit me up if no one tells you once your at MTV.

Bus routes are not bad depending on time and day. Keep in mind, you will be driving in Manhattan, with tourist and bikes. Just take your time, get comfortable driving the bus and the rest is a piece of cake. Once you feel, like ok I know how to drive the bus and confident about pulling into stops the job becomes easier. ( Meaning, when you don't have to think, did I pull in at 5mph, kneel the bus, jntelock, open the door, close the door... Blah blah blah. ) I love driving in the city but that's because I grew up there and know landmarks and directions if asked. Every line passes thru a system of like of a variety of different neighborhood. Just don't let people stress you out.

Bus stop to bus stop that's what we get paid to do. Don't worry about farebox.

I created one file with the lines at MTV and it's what I used Everytime I did line training on that line. I wrote notes on the paper and used it when I went out on my own for the first time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B67l-hDnwyQAYWQ3aHpoN2RJa0k/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by dac9050

General pick is your best option to transfer to Brooklyn as you would get to find a open spot at a Depot you would want.

Parking at the depot is a bit hard because there is alot of construction right now, during the am after 8am or early by 230pm you will not find parking. You can have someone teach you about 2nd floor parking or hit me up if no one tells you once your at MTV.

Bus routes are not bad depending on time and day. Keep in mind, you will be driving in Manhattan, with tourist and bikes. Just take your time, get comfortable driving the bus and the rest is a piece of cake. Once you feel, like ok I know how to drive the bus and confident about pulling into stops the job becomes easier. ( Meaning, when you don't have to think, did I pull in at 5mph, kneel the bus, jntelock, open the door, close the door... Blah blah blah. ) I love driving in the city but that's because I grew up there and know landmarks and directions if asked. Every line passes thru a system of like of a variety of different neighborhood. Just don't let people stress you out.

Bus stop to bus stop that's what we get paid to do. Don't worry about farebox.

I created one file with the lines at MTV and it's what I used Everytime I did line training on that line. I wrote notes on the paper and used it when I went out on my own for the first time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B67l-hDnwyQAYWQ3aHpoN2RJa0k/view?usp=drivesdk

thanks dac9050 for sharing some good information with me ill just wait until general picking in december

I'm thinking i might take the train the first day instead of driving but 

the parking thats available is it in a separate parking garage from the depot it self

trust me i will be driving 15-20 if even that fast because i know these cyclist don't have to much sense 

we was told over and over not argue with anyone who refuses to pay just press f5 short fare button

i do a great job of ignoring people 

what kind of buses does this depot have

i will hit you up 

Edited by mastap123

Parking is upstairs in the roof. The building itself is old so don't expect a high tech Depot. It's run down

We only have Orion VII Hybrids, the buses used for 7 day training. The bus used for DMV road test always gets picked up from MTV.

ok thanks thats good just in case i want to i have yet to see high tech depot not really interested in how the depot

just excited to get started with my line training

That's the best thing at MTV for me, we have the same buses, don't have to deal with RTS or Artic's. Yea sometimes I think why they don't give us new buses but then again, when snow storm come around, we have so many Orion's, that we have to end up lending buses to different depots because they can't have artics out during snow storms. (That means overtime if you don't mind moving buses after you finish, aside from overtime everyday cause you drive in Manhattan and traffic is crazy.) Only few lines do you get adjusted to make sure you make your relief on time.

Word of advice... At MTV even on probation they will ask you if you want to work overtime. That's your call, I see new guys come in and work on their days off, like ya crazy... First thing they tell you is don't work overtime. I have kept that with me, 28 days left of probation and making sure I drive the least possible. I know we here for the money, but I pick runs with the least amount of hours for last 3 picks. Now I'm clearing probation , I'll pick a run with more hours for more money, but I managed my one year with the least possible.

That's the best thing at MTV for me, we have the same buses, don't have to deal with RTS or Artic's. Yea sometimes I think why they don't give us new buses but then again, when snow storm come around, we have so many Orion's, that we have to end up lending buses to different depots because they can't have artics out during snow storms. (That means overtime if you don't mind moving buses after you finish, aside from overtime everyday cause you drive in Manhattan and traffic is crazy.) Only few lines do you get adjusted to make sure you make your relief on time.

Word of advice... At MTV even on probation they will ask you if you want to work overtime. That's your call, I see new guys come in and work on their days off, like ya crazy... First thing they tell you is don't work overtime. I have kept that with me, 28 days left of probation and making sure I drive the least possible. I know we here for the money, but I pick runs with the least amount of hours for last 3 picks. Now I'm clearing probation , I'll pick a run with more hours for more money, but I managed my one year with the least possible.

ok thats a good thing i love the rts buses except that the seat is uncomfortable and setting the mirror is a pain but other than that the rts drives like a car.

i have been told i shouldn't really do overtime until i am off of probation less time i have on the road the better it is for me.

does the bus route at mv have a lot turns are is it mostly a straight drive 

your about to finish with probation that should be a good feeling

thanks for the maps

Hi guys, is it true that mta no longer check the obstruct points on the drivers license anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i doubt that 

Edited by mastap123

ok thats a good thing i love the rts buses except that the seat is uncomfortable and setting the mirror is a pain but other than that the rts drives like a car.

i have been told i shouldn't really do overtime until i am off of probation less time i have on the road the better it is for me.

does the bus route at mv have a lot turns are is it mostly a straight drive

your about to finish with probation that should be a good feeling

thanks for the maps

i doubt that

i have 14 points on my obstruct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

had a ok day 4 completed el pillars but back tire just slightly touch the curb on i-95 entrance lane coming back from the Bronx getting my mind clear and try to finish up strong

the pillars was fun to me just take your time and scan your mirrors every 3-5 sec so you know where your bus is

try to have a perfect day 5 day 6 day 7 next week if u can

day 5 in upper manhattan there is right turn on to 86st make sure you keep your 4 ft are your going to hit the curb

day 6 is lower manhattan turns is to bad look out for left acute turn in union square if u pass your reference point you might not make the turn and might have to back up the bus if the red light catches u there ur bumper is already lined up to the curb on the left just be careful 3 to 5 mph when turning look out for the cyclists while in the city call out your hazards don't run yellow light going thru yellow light is like going thru red light 

who's your instructor 

Edited by mastap123