B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

ok thats a good thing i love the rts buses except that the seat is uncomfortable and setting the mirror is a pain but other than that the rts drives like a car.

i have been told i shouldn't really do overtime until i am off of probation less time i have on the road the better it is for me.

does the bus route at mv have a lot turns are is it mostly a straight drive

your about to finish with probation that should be a good feeling

thanks for the maps

i doubt that

lol Flatbush, ENY, and UP has majority of the RTS. They have way more power but for Tall operators and big operators the operator compartment is very uncomfortable.

I have till October to be clear from probation.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two questions. How do you make that MONEY!! I'm hearing the lingo with ot and banking days and what not just wanna be well informed so I know how and #2 any study aids for dispatcher test, I applied because why not. Another option 3 yrs from now any help hit me up please.

lol Flatbush, ENY, and UP has majority of the RTS. They have way more power but for Tall operators and big operators the operator compartment is very uncomfortable.

I have till October to be clear from probation.

i love them rts I'm not the tallest are biggest person lol not really a fan of the hybrids 

how you like your first year so far

Edited by mastap123

Two questions. How do you make that MONEY!! I'm hearing the lingo with ot and banking days and what not just wanna be well informed so I know how and #2 any study aids for dispatcher test, I applied because why not. Another option 3 yrs from now any help hit me up please.

Do yourself a favor. For your first year try to make as little money as possible. Don't work any rdos. Don't work any unforced ot and try to pick the smallest runs possible in your depot. Trust me on this.

any know the turn we have to make on 86 street and the cross street

i can't remember 

Do yourself a favor. For your first year try to make as little money as possible. Don't work any rdos. Don't work any unforced ot and try to pick the smallest runs possible in your depot. Trust me on this.

thats true@invzo1019 heard the same thing don't do no overtime while on probation and pick the smallest runs

thanks i'll try my best

day 6 is downtown manhattan drive slow and forward plan scan them mirrors and don't run no lights call out the hazards because there is a lot of them and look out for the left acute turn down by union square bumper to curve try not to pass it 

I didn't do any OT until about 6 months in. Everyone is right, the less you work the better. You're still taking home the same amount of money at the end of the day. If you want OT, let it be easy work like a bus move during the overnight, babysitting a bus waiting a tow, things like that.

As for the dispatcher test, study the bulletins/directives, the MTA rulebook, how to calculate pay, headway and speed formulas, how to read the recaps (and create one)... Essentially learn the position. If you hear about any classes being offered, take them. Ask any dispatcher and they'll be able to offer insight. Aside from studying, don't get into trouble. They can use your disciplinary record to not promote you.

Edited by +Young+
Typographical error...

Here's something I seen today. I was on kings highway and Utica Ave and I seem an artic SBS and the destination sign said Training Bus. There was only one Bus Operator which was driving with one hand on the wheel. There where no trainees on that bus but one hand and it was a training bus lol

Here's something I seen today. I was on kings highway and Utica Ave and I seem an artic SBS and the destination sign said Training Bus. There was only one Bus Operator which was driving with one hand on the wheel. There where no trainees on that bus but one hand and it was a training bus lol

Lol they probably just put the sign up like that....

I use the sbs artic for the M shuttle almost everyday when im on duty.

I did my best tire touch touch the curb at east 6th street around the little circle and other things so day 9 here I come a feel a little pressure of now

There will be none of that on Day 9, so you should be fine. The majority of the turns on Day 9 are the "L" turns, with a few hook turns mixed in.

Good luck!!