B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

From what I recall from 2014, one or two of them might be tight turns or hook turns, however 95% of them were regular "L" turns. However, one of the things you need to do is to forward plan and determine if it is a regular "L" turn or a "hook" turn depending on the scenario at that particular time...

those turns are my routes when am driving my taxi, is there a book that I can learn about this turns? Hook, L, pivot? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the information.

You'll be serving few bus stops as well..don't hit or skin the curb..automatic disqualification..( the bus stop on 86th st. soon after you make the right from Lex to 86th and the one before turning to Madison on 86th, If I remember correctly.)

You'll be serving few bus stops as well..don't hit or skin the curb..automatic disqualification..( the bus stop on 86th st. soon after you make the right from Lex to 86th and the one before turning to Madison on 86th, If I remember correctly.)

thanks

Not offhand, however some of the handouts contain some material as far as the turns are concerned..

i have to go to day 10 i had a chance to qualify but hit the curb a 96th and madison the easiest turn on the route i should have went further out to cover my left then made the turn but the cars turning on my left through me off i want to beat my self up right now +young*  the route was same has you said and chance you have the route for day 10

i have to go to day 10 i had a chance to qualify but hit the curb a 96th and madison the easiest turn on the route i should have went further out to cover my left then made the turn but the cars turning on my left through me off i want to beat my self up right now +young* the route was same has you said and chance you have the route for day 10

Were you making a right turn?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

yes right on madison

You should have taken both lanes. In some situation the 4ft clearances doesn't apply, but when its possible if you always keep 4ft to the right majority of your right turns will be executed properly and you wont touch the curb at all. Of course you must setup your turn by using your reference point. Always look at the big picture and do the turn in your head first. Thats where the forward plan comes in place.

Dont sweat it and try to enjoy your weekend. Any tips or help you can inbox me.

thanks for the information.

You're welcome.

i have to go to day 10 i had a chance to qualify but hit the curb a 96th and madison the easiest turn on the route i should have went further out to cover my left then made the turn but the cars turning on my left through me off i want to beat my self up right now +young*  the route was same has you said and chance you have the route for day 10

Ouch! If I was you, I would beat yourself up because IMHO, Day 9 was 10 times easier than Day 10.

I don't recall the route 100% from 3 & 1/2 years ago (Seven was a huge help with the Day 9 route), however, from using Google Maps, this is what I recall:

-Right out of Zerega

-Left on Story Avenue

-Story Avenue all the way down to Bronx River Avenue (Bus Stop - "hook" turn)

-Bronx River Avenue to Bruckner Blvd (another Bus Stop with another "hook" turn)

-Bruckner Blvd to Bruckner Expressway to I-95 North to New England Thruway (as if going to Connecticut)

-New England Thruway to Exit 13 (Conner Street)

-Left on Tillotson Avenue

-Left On Connor Street

-Left on New England Thruway Service Road (tight turn - watch your pivot point and get the nose dirty)

-Back on the highway (New England Thruway to I-95 South to Bruckner)

-Bruckner to Exit 6A, over the "Unrestricted Drawbridge" (remember the weight of the bus??) to Zerega Avenue

-Left on Zerega Avenue

It sounds like a lot, and it is, especially when you first get going with two (yes, two) Superintendents on board. If I was you, not only do a "dry run" of the route, but on Day 10, forget about the 2nd Superintendent and just focus on qualifying. It sounds like you only made one mistake on Day 9, and what's nice about Day 10 is that it's a mixture of everything, minus the taxi cabs.

Good luck!! I'll be online periodically over the weekend if you have any further questions.

Nyctbeast said it the best. Take up both of the lanes next time on a turn that has a lot of traffic connection/other cars turning. You take up both lanes you don't have to worry about the idiots making the right turn on the left of you. They will have to wait behind u while you make your turn. Control the road, don't let other drivers control you.

That connection turn was supposed to be congestion. Stupid iPhone auto correct lol.

ugh and the word turn in my correction sentence was supposed

To be the word word lol.

Nyctbeast said it the best. Take up both of the lanes next time on a turn that has a lot of traffic connection/other cars turning. You take up both lanes you don't have to worry about the idiots making the right turn on the left of you. They will have to wait behind u while you make your turn. Control the road, don't let other drivers control you.

That connection turn was supposed to be congestion. Stupid iPhone auto correct lol.

To be the word word lol.

The exact method that was in my head. You're bigger and has a much more advantage over the motorists. Just make sure its safe and it is executed properly.

My instructor use to say all the time to myself abd the other students on my bus. "Get in there....Make them move, you are bigger make them move, Give me my space, Don't let them over take you, Make it fat".

All you have to do is take control over the road but safe. They want to see you operate that bus.

You're welcome.

Ouch! If I was you, I would beat yourself up because IMHO, Day 9 was 10 times easier than Day 10.

I don't recall the route 100% from 3 & 1/2 years ago (Seven was a huge help with the Day 9 route), however, from using Google Maps, this is what I recall:

-Right out of Zerega

-Left on Story Avenue

-Story Avenue all the way down to Bronx River Avenue (Bus Stop - "hook" turn)

-Bronx River Avenue to Bruckner Blvd (another Bus Stop with another "hook" turn)

-Bruckner Blvd to Bruckner Expressway to I-95 North to New England Thruway (as if going to Connecticut)

-New England Thruway to Exit 13 (Conner Street)

-Left on Tillotson Avenue

-Left On Connor Street

-Left on New England Thruway Service Road (tight turn - watch your pivot point and get the nose dirty)

-Back on the highway (New England Thruway to I-95 South to Bruckner)

-Bruckner to Exit 6A, over the "Unrestricted Drawbridge" (remember the weight of the bus??) to Zerega Avenue

-Left on Zerega Avenue

It sounds like a lot, and it is, especially when you first get going with two (yes, two) Superintendents on board. If I was you, not only do a "dry run" of the route, but on Day 10, forget about the 2nd Superintendent and just focus on qualifying. It sounds like you only made one mistake on Day 9, and what's nice about Day 10 is that it's a mixture of everything, minus the taxi cabs.

Good luck!! I'll be online periodically over the weekend if you have any further questions.

young thanks for all your help and information

The exact method that was in my head. You're bigger and has a much more advantage over the motorists. Just make sure its safe and it is executed properly.

My instructor use to say all the time to myself abd the other students on my bus. "Get in there....Make them move, you are bigger make them move, Give me my space, Don't let them over take you, Make it fat".

All you have to do is take control over the road but safe. They want to see you operate that bus.

thanks for the advice

To be the word word lol.

thanks you are right i should have done that

hey does anyone have a handout for the inspection of the bus and also info on what street takes what turn from what I'm hearing the most stressful part of the training is knowing what turn to make for each turn and the bus not hitting the curb