B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Long day 3 el pillars in the simulator. Did good 1 student from another class hit a bldg. I did a 3 point turn at spring Creek. Perfect. Horse shoe. Didn't hit a curb. Rolled thru a yellow 😂 .  Missed 1 reference point on a  turn because the supt said here (meaning turn) so I turned n rubbed the curb.  Instead I should have said im not at my reference point yet.I was going deep he thought I was going straight.  Crazy situation but he took that back. Drove from zerega to spring Creek perfect highway driving. So all in all it was a fair day.  Day four tomorrow here we go.  

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

need help with judging the lights. The hand starts blinking I stop. Then the supt says u still had time.  I c The timer at 9 let's say 15 feet n I stop cause I'm scared. But still had time  Ugh🤣 I got a yellow on all days.  So I'm petrified.  Between the moving Left to right scanning n pedestrians those light's keep Catching me. My supt wants me moving weaving watching. He's rushing every manuver n so lights r catching me. Any help from you guy's is appreciated.  

40 minutes ago, mtawife said:

need help with judging the lights. The hand starts blinking I stop. Then the supt says u still had time.  I c The timer at 9 let's say 15 feet n I stop cause I'm scared. But still had time  Ugh🤣 I got a yellow on all days.  So I'm petrified.  Between the moving Left to right scanning n pedestrians those light's keep Catching me. My supt wants me moving weaving watching. He's rushing every manuver n so lights r catching me. Any help from you guy's is appreciated.  

Best scanning method for the lights is to scan a block ahead. Lets say you just cross the intersection (Grand Ave), what you would do is try to look up ahead at the next block for the hand signal. If you are a quarter of block and the hand signal starts to flash, all you do is reduce speed and prepare to just stop. By the time you reach 25ft towards the cross walk, the light will change yellow. Lets say you are 15 ft from the crosswalk and the hand signal is at 9 seconds, you still have enough time to cross unless there is obstructions up ahead which may lead you to stop before entering or exiting the intersection. In that case you would have to make a quick call to whether or not it will be safe or would you have enough time to maneuver around the obstruction without your tail of the bus still hanging out the intersection.

You are about to make a left or right turn, and the hand signal is at 9 seconds but there is a vehicle ahead of you that will be turning at the same location. At that point you would just prepare to stop and call out your actions and state why you are doing it.  Reason you would prepared yourself to stop is because, by the time that vehicle turns the light will change. If there are no vehicle ahead of you and you are about to make a turn, as long you setup your turn during the 9 second count down, you can't be penalized for it.

With the speed of 20mph, you are able to control the traffic lights. Just keep scanning and forward planning. Tell your supt what you are doing and state why you made that action or decision.

The hand signal is at 6 seconds and you are soon approaching the intersection, thats the time you should reduced your speed and prepare to stop behind the cross walk. As long you scan a block away, you will be able to determine and know the light is about to change soon. Its all about forward planning and scanning a block ahead or two.

Edited by DueceDrives
Missing words

2 minutes ago, mtawife said:

Ok I got that. So image the supt screaming get in there (move right) then move left then get back square the bus scan left Right. Now the light is yellow n u in The cross walk. Ugh. 

So i assume theres vehicles double park?

If thats the case, while you are doing those maneuvers, you shoukd also quickly scan ahead to see would you have enough time to cross that intersection. As you move left or right to avoid the obstruction, you should also after its clear quickly glance at the lights. That technique is part of forward planning. If that hand signal was flashing for a long period of time or not sure how long it has been flashing, you should slow down and prepare to stop. 

4 minutes ago, mtawife said:

Obtuce left under Bruckner bumper to opposite curb. Waiting for clear on coming traffic light turns yellow I wait n get screamed on  telling me I was supposed to go.  🤣 Ugh

Was there upcoming vehicle approaching the intersection? Or waiting for a pedestrian cross?

While driving straight I look 209 feet ahead I can see the light.  Now by the time I move left for double parked cars then move right n square up the bus. Check the light's it's turning yellow but I'm already moving Thur it as the supt says drive the bus get in there. Before u know it I'm moving thru the yellow

It's. Crazy cause I have a heavy foot. Wen the supt wants me to use it. It's ok. But it causes me to get caught. N it's on me. Other day I'm doing 27 on hillside Ave towards Springfield. He's like get in there drive the bus. I say I'm already at 27. He says ok drive the bus

He rushes everything. We did el pillars today at 7 miles per hour. Get in there. The other training bus in front were doing it like 3 to 5. N my supt was cursing. ( Wtf OMG we're gonna be here all day). He even cut in front so we could go 1st

1 hour ago, mtawife said:

I have my 19a road test Monday. By myself. Is it. R turn L turn air test . Pretrip parelle park n straight back. Is that it ?

Yes but it seems like yoir instructor is doing things a bit in a hurry. Usually the 19a is on day 7 

2 hours ago, mtawife said:

It's. Crazy cause I have a heavy foot. Wen the supt wants me to use it. It's ok. But it causes me to get caught. N it's on me. Other day I'm doing 27 on hillside Ave towards Springfield. He's like get in there drive the bus. I say I'm already at 27. He says ok drive the bus

I see where you're coming from but its Ok......if he wants you to speed the bus just follow his instructions and don't try to over rule his demands. But always keep in mind the postal speed limits. Call it out and try to act up on it unless hes instructing you to put a little notch on the pedal.

Under neither the Bruckner was both oncoming vehicle (me waiting for him to pass,,) n the predestion to cross. Once all was clear the light was yellow

Yes as long you setup your turn and ready to move when its safe, he really should not hold it against you unless you're still stuck in place and the other traffic cars that had the red light turns green starts to move in. If you dont start to move before the other vehicles make action and you end up stuck, that becomes poor judgement and unsafe. So soon its clear start to make your action where the other traffic vehicles will have to wait till you clear.

1 hour ago, mtawife said:

He rushes everything. We did el pillars today at 7 miles per hour. Get in there. The other training bus in front were doing it like 3 to 5. N my supt was cursing. ( Wtf OMG we're gonna be here all day). He even cut in front so we could go 1st

Sorry if I dont get to reply quickly. I do the hawk schedule (1am -10am) so im like 💤 lol but  from the way it sounds like your instructor is a bit the difficult one and wants actions which is not bad. He wants you to move that bus like a "Bus Operator" meaning to operate that bus in action without being stuck during traffic or making slow maneuvers to get you caught up. Word of advise is to do as he say or tought you. Every Supt is different 

If your making a left turn and your already in the intersection waiting for cars to pass going the other way, it is ok to proceed and complete your turn after the cars clear, no matter what color the light is.  But obviously you must already be in the intersection. 

I no that. The situation is not as such.  I explained it. I'm not goin thru the intersection the light is above the white line. U have to understand where I was to get a clear picture.

It sounds like @DueceDrives helped you, so let's just move on.

Good luck with qualifying!! And remember, for Days 8 & 9, not only will you get another Superintendent, but 75%** of the class qualifies on Day 9.

** = estimation