B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Humbleguy38 said:

is ms cruchshink your instructor if so tell her anderson said hi she is tough but real down to earth best instructor she gave me a good foundation

No I have Mr West he’s really soft spoken but straight forward they just sent us to finish our training at jfk depot

Jamaica depot isn’t too bad. I am not in that depot but know someone there. Most of their lines go through the hood though. And parking at the depot isn’t the greatest.  2 good things about that Depot is most of the streets on the routes are wide open streets. Not a lot of tight narrow streets on their routes.  2nd good thing about that depot is the way they have the book set up to get days off. You can book a day a year in advance which is sweet.  You will learn what I mean by that when you get there.  In the TWU depots you can only book 30 days out. My depot is 3 months which is good but a year is better lol. Good luck my friend. 

11 hours ago, Invzo1019 said:

Jamaica depot isn’t too bad. I am not in that depot but know someone there. Most of their lines go through the hood though. And parking at the depot isn’t the greatest.  2 good things about that Depot is most of the streets on the routes are wide open streets. Not a lot of tight narrow streets on their routes.  2nd good thing about that depot is the way they have the book set up to get days off. You can book a day a year in advance which is sweet.  You will learn what I mean by that when you get there.  In the TWU depots you can only book 30 days out. My depot is 3 months which is good but a year is better lol. Good luck my friend. 

Thanx bro. Yeah i hear at Jamaica you can book a year in advance. What depot are you in?

20 hours ago, justdre88 said:

Got my transfer today to Jamaica.... crazy how i got what i want yet still havent taken me he dmv test. Hows the Jamaica depot guys? Abyone take the dmv roadtest yet?

jamaica depot is great easy route and lead back late night is the best to work empty streets and bus

Focus on correcting your weak points with your superintendent. You're going have to see what they want from you. Otherwise, just take your time.  You will be in thick traffic in Harlem.

-Scan your mirrors and scan sidewalk to sidewalk for any bikes. Call them out before they get to your bus. If you're moving, monitor them and update as you go along. If and when they pass you within 4 feet, you must slow down and stop. This goes for anything within your 4 feet. It's either they're moving or you are. You can move over or speed up a bit to get away from them but in most cases, slowing down is what you need to do. 

Other than that, call out your signs, white, yellow, blue, red and hazards. Doesn't matter if it has relevance, it just shows your superintendent that you're looking around and paying attention. Of course anything relevant that will affect your driving, you will need to adjust.

-Anticipate everything and call it out. Got a taxi next to you? You might get cut off. Slow down and keep an eye on it. Pedesterian in between cars? They might be Jay walking or returning to their car. Call it out and adjust. There will be a portion where you will be in the left lane a few times. Gradually move over and just be aware of what's around your bus. When it comes to the lights, if you're unsure, start coasting and try to look at the light at the next block to kinda judge your light. If you have a few seconds before your light goes yellow, slow down on your way there so by time you have like 3 seconds, you'll be stopping.

-If there's traffic preventing you for performing what your superintendent wants, wait it out. It's better to sit it out at an intersection and wait for everything to clear up (if it does) as opposed to getting stuck in an awkward spot and then getting trolley braked because you're trying to get through with pedestrians and bikes coming at you. 

-You might be taken along the M96 where you have to make a right and then the first left to head towards Central Park. It's a tight left turn, you may have to split the two left lane lanes to be comfortable. (Call it out, let then know before you do it) You will also deal with the hill on Lexington and one more after that, where they make you do the bus stop. Use the Pop n Go trick to make sure you don't roll back too much. 

Good luck. 

16 minutes ago, cardoxavi said:

Hey guys what list number are they up too now? And I want to know what is the amount of accidents you can have on your record. Thank you guys 

The most amount of accidents is two, regardless of whether you were at fault or not. As far as the list number they're up to, from monitoring this thread and recently calling the DCAS hotline (212-669-1357), they're in the 5000's.

7 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

The most amount of accidents is two, regardless of whether you were at fault or not. As far as the list number they're up to, from monitoring this thread and recently calling the DCAS hotline (212-669-1357), they're in the 5000's.

I’ve just gave my phone to a superintendent. His Reply was this is false. Certain type of accidents is what will disqualify you. Etc. Cell phone,DUI,Excessive speeding and certain type of convictions/felonies. But the main goal is no Accidents especially if you’re on any bus operator list for the Authority.(His words)

8 minutes ago, Getchanosediirty4ft said:

I’ve just gave my phone to a superintendent. His Reply was this is false. Certain type of accidents is what will disqualify you. Etc. Cell phone,DUI,Excessive speeding and certain type of convictions/felonies. But the main goal is no Accidents especially if you’re on any bus operator list for the Authority.(His words)

So I had two fault accidents this year. Two of which is rear end accidents one of the accidents my car was totaled does this disqualify me? Thanks for your answers guys.