B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just looked at the top 30 people who took bus 4600 and then you can see the payroll for city employees, its public record. I looked up the approximately first 30 people. Only 1 of them has a job today.  About 2 or 3 people worked in 2016, and only made 1,900 dollars. I guess they got the boot or quit.  And then I looked up people in the 4,000 range, I checked about 50 people, and only 1 of them is working and is on payroll as a bus driver, and a few others working for other parts of the city. One of them just  hired as a traffic agent in 2017.  Alot of people in the 3,000 range have other city jobs. 

HMmmm $19 an hour?...... I believe they probably working for MTA bus division since the hiring pay now is 24 and change after the new contract was negotiated.

This job is stressful because of many rules transit has putting in place but its up to you as an employee to do the right thing. Overall me personally I love what Im doing....Plenty money to make and many room for growth with this organization. This job is not for everyone and some  will fail  probationary period or worst the 2nd year if they keep violating the rules. But trust me its a good career and you will enjoy it if you have a goal to why you’re doing it.

3 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

HMmmm $19 an hour?...... I believe they probably working for MTA bus division since the hiring pay now is 24 and change after the new contract was negotiated.

This job is stressful because of many rules transit has putting in place but its up to you as an employee to do the right thing. Overall me personally I love what Im doing....Plenty money to make and many room for growth with this organization. This job is not for everyone and some  will fail  probationary period or worst the 2nd year if they keep violating the rules. But trust me its a good career and you will enjoy it if you have a goal to why you’re doing it.

Couldn't agree more, but as long you follow the zerega you will make it. I love it so far as well. Something I wanted to do. Doing what you want imo will make you (I) happy. I look forward to going to do what I love. 

On 2/21/2018 at 4:24 PM, FutureBOtoTO said:

Couldn't agree more, but as long you follow the zerega you will make it. I love it so far as well. Something I wanted to do. Doing what you want imo will make you (I) happy. I look forward to going to do what I love. 

I GOT CALLED TO REPORT ON 3/2017 FOR 4600 #27XX, HOWEVER I HAD FAILED THE 3101 TRAINING ON 4/2015 AND HAVE THREE MORE YEARS UNTIL I AM ELLIGABLE AGAIN. I CALLED THEM UP IMMEDIATELY AT THAT TIME AND SPOKE TO MANAGER JUANITA. SHE TOLD ME TO MAIL BACK AND STATE THAT I AM NOT ELLIGABLE AT THIS TIME. AS YOU CAN SEE I AM HOPING TO BE CALLED WHEN THEY FINISH THE LIST AND JUST MAYBE THROUGH THE SKIN OF MY TEETH BE OFF THE 5 YR FORBIDDEN LIST SO THAT I CAN COME DOWN TO TRY AGAIN! ANY HELPING THAUGHTS? WAS THIS THE RIGHT THING TO DO??

1 hour ago, Invzo1019 said:

They check back 3 years for points on your driving abstract I heard. Is this correct and does it go by date of offense or conviction for the ticket?  Thanks. 

Its from the date the ticket was issued not conviction. I know cause I have been waiting, got a ticket in 2015, can reinstate in december.  My list number is 101X, was told to come back on exactly 3 years from the date ticket was issued.

Thanks man.  Doesn’t the ticket stay on your abstract for the rest of the calendar year after 3 years tho. Like let’s say u get a ticket September 5 2010. Doesn’t it stay on your abstract until Jan 1 2014?  The 3 years from sept but then it stays on the rest of the calendar year.  Is this true?

On 3/1/2018 at 8:39 PM, Invzo1019 said:

Thanks man.  Doesn’t the ticket stay on your abstract for the rest of the calendar year after 3 years tho. Like let’s say u get a ticket September 5 2010. Doesn’t it stay on your abstract until Jan 1 2014?  The 3 years from sept but then it stays on the rest of the calendar year.  Is this true?

It will show on your abstract from the date of th conviction up to 3 years. However, transit will count from the date of the offense not the conviction. I’m an example of this situation. I had a  cellphone ticket issued on 5/16/14. I had my appointment letter for 3/6/17. Since the ticket was pending they told me to call them back after ticket is solve and proof from DMV, I got convicted on 6/10/17. I went back and restored my name on the list.. and here I am. 5 months on the job. The ticket shows on my abstract and also shows 5 points but it also shows the date of issuing. As long the issuing date is older than 3 year it’s ok. Just make sure you paid them, keep the receipt and have no pending tickets or moving violation.

On 2/24/2018 at 5:07 PM, latacunga said:

I GOT CALLED TO REPORT ON 3/2017 FOR 4600 #27XX, HOWEVER I HAD FAILED THE 3101 TRAINING ON 4/2015 AND HAVE THREE MORE YEARS UNTIL I AM ELLIGABLE AGAIN. I CALLED THEM UP IMMEDIATELY AT THAT TIME AND SPOKE TO MANAGER JUANITA. SHE TOLD ME TO MAIL BACK AND STATE THAT I AM NOT ELLIGABLE AT THIS TIME. AS YOU CAN SEE I AM HOPING TO BE CALLED WHEN THEY FINISH THE LIST AND JUST MAYBE THROUGH THE SKIN OF MY TEETH BE OFF THE 5 YR FORBIDDEN LIST SO THAT I CAN COME DOWN TO TRY AGAIN! ANY HELPING THAUGHTS? WAS THIS THE RIGHT THING TO DO??

First, please watch it with the CAPITAL LETTERS...if you're unsure about this, refer to the guidelines and scroll down to the "Forum Etiquette" section.

Second, as a result of taking Bus Operator Exam 2613, I failed the 10-day training session in February of 2014. With my list number for this exam being in the low 1600's (1600 - 1650), I received a letter inviting me down to Livingston Street (I don't recall when this took place). Instead of going down, I called, verified the 5 year rule they have, and that was it. I did NOT mail the letter back to them.

I do plan on restoring my name to this particular list around December/January and we'll see what happens...

On 2/9/2018 at 5:13 PM, 161 New York said:

(You should shorten your list number to be semi-anonymous).

I just took care of that. Thanks for the heads up!!

Edited by +Young+
Addition...

4 hours ago, GJb said:

What does Bus Oper(Rev Veh) Twu L100 01-F? I got a letter saying they offering me that position 

This is the technical official title for Bus Operator. Rev Veh stands for Revenue Vehicle. You don't collect money but that farebox you will be driving with, will. If it's for this list, then you will be hired under TA. 

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

This is the technical official title for Bus Operator. Rev Veh stands for Revenue Vehicle. You don't collect money but that farebox you will be driving with, will. If it's for this list, then you will be hired under TA. 

Ok thank you for all the help.. so its just a regular bus driving or something different they got me all confused with that lol