B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for those of you who have been following me on this site, you have recently learned that I recently got a 1-in-3 letter for the Track Worker position. With that said, I am looking forward to reinstating my name to this list at the very end of this calendar year in an effort to try again in March of 2019, which would be 5 years from when I failed and I was forced to resign on February 24, 2014 as a result of taking B/O Exam 2613.

Within the 4 years I took two CDL road tests, one in a Tractor Trailer and one in a Bus. As a result, I have a Class A CDL with all of the endorsements (Metal Coil, Passenger, School Bus, Doubles/Triples, Tow Truck, Tank & Hazmat). Since I successfully took a road test in a big bus, I have an "M" restriction, which means that I can not drive a Class A Passenger Vehicle, which doesn't exist in this country since the minimum requirement to drive any bus (school bus, coach bus, etc.) is a Class B with a Passenger endorsement.

(Click here for the full list of endorsements and restrictions in New York and New Jersey.)

My question is: For those of you who have been through this before, will I be able to proceed with the training with the Class A CDL, or will I be forced to downgrade to the Class B? I know 180 Livingston Street doesn't have a problem, since I showed up for an offer from MTA Bus Company, as a result of taking the BOSS, which I declined due to this 5-year rule to begin with. However, will the folks at Zerega Avenue give me a hard time about this?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

Edited by +Young+

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

So for those of you who have been following me on this site, you have recently learned that I recently got a 1-in-3 letter for the Track Worker position. With that said, I am looking forward to reinstating my name to this list at the very end of this calendar year in an effort to try again in March of 2019, which would be 5 years from when I failed and I was forced to resign on February 24, 2014 as a result of taking B/O Exam 2613.

Within the 4 years I took two CDL road tests, one in a Tractor Trailer and one in a Bus. As a result, I have a Class A CDL with all of the endorsements (Metal Coil, Passenger, School Bus, Doubles/Triples, Tow Truck, Tank & Hazmat). Since I successfully took a road test in a big bus, I have an "M" restriction, which means that I can not drive a Class A Passenger Vehicle, which doesn't exist in this country since the minimum requirement to drive any bus (school bus, coach bus, etc.) is a Class B with a Passenger endorsement.

(Click here for the full list of endorsements and restrictions in New York and New Jersey.)

My question is: For those of you who have been through this before, will I be able to proceed with the training with the Class A CDL, or will I be forced to downgrade to the Class B? I know 180 Livingston Street doesn't have a problem, since I showed up for an offer from MTA Bus Company, as a result of taking the BOSS, which I declined due to this 5-year rule to begin with. However, will the folks at Zerega Avenue give me a hard time about this?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

As long as you passed a road test that gave you your Class B with the passenger endorsement (in a bus), then you should be fine. 

19 minutes ago, justdre88 said:

So i have a question hopefully soneone can answer. Theres a travlers insurance of $10 that comes out of each check. What is this?

Did you sign up for something at the union hall? I know they throw a bunch of stuff at you, so start there. 

19 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

As long as you passed a road test that gave you your Class B with the passenger endorsement (in a bus), then you should be fine. 

I did that in a manual transmission bus and I only got either 10 or 15 points. Thank you @SevenEleven!

8 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Did you sign up for something at the union hall? I know they throw a bunch of stuff at you, so start there. 

Yeah i gotta call bsc because i dont remember signing anything but the life insurance