B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

On 4/24/2018 at 12:54 PM, Beekay718 said:

Just got the call this morning to go back to Livingston for medical and final processing also was told to bring 86 dollar money order 

May I ask what depot you're training out of? I started on the 30th & I'm in QV. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Humbleguy38 said:

how is the training going so far?

It’s okay, but  tough in the city with bikes , skaters , pedestrians watching all mirrors  pivot point clearing the Curb doing bus stops. Hook turn over by Central Park i clipped crub with tire so I’ll be going to day 7 8 and 9 

49 minutes ago, mastap123 said:

Just take your time and keep looking in those mirrors and call out the hazards 

try not to blow your reference points 

Thanks i blow that turn watching a bike coming up between my bus and my left turn should of took it a bit deeper and not lock up the wheel to far to the left and watched that left pivot sup said if i didn’t clip that crub i would of had a perfect day

1 hour ago, Beekay718 said:

Thanks i blow that turn watching a bike coming up between my bus and my left turn should of took it a bit deeper and not lock up the wheel to far to the left and watched that left pivot sup said if i didn’t clip that crub i would of had a perfect day

If it looks like you're heading into the curb, start moving the wheel the other way to move away from the curb, and then go back towards the curb. This will reset the pivot at the point where you started going back towards the curb and you should be able to clear it. Just be mindful that you are taking more space to complete the turn so be aware of whatever hazards are in the way. 

For example, you doing a hook and it looks like the middle of the bus is gonna go over the curb, stop, go back out and you'll see the rear tire line up with the curb and then start turning back in. Provided you have the space in front of your bus and in the opposite direction of your turn, you can't go wrong fixing a botched setup using said space with a pivot. 

On 5/7/2018 at 4:41 PM, Beekay718 said:

I started on 30th too I’m at JFK

On 5/8/2018 at 4:33 PM, Beekay718 said:

It’s okay, but  tough in the city with bikes , skaters , pedestrians watching all mirrors  pivot point clearing the Curb doing bus stops. Hook turn over by Central Park i clipped crub with tire so I’ll be going to day 7 8 and 9 

Sorry to hear about that. Like I was told numerous times. TAKE YOUR TIME. My instructor Ms. Shook was so nice, pleasant & she wants you to pass. She just told me today that she's doing day 8 & 9. So you may see her.

On 5/4/2018 at 7:56 PM, +Young+ said:

So for those of you who have been following me on this site, you have recently learned that I recently got a 1-in-3 letter for the Track Worker position. With that said, I am looking forward to reinstating my name to this list at the very end of this calendar year in an effort to try again in March of 2019, which would be 5 years from when I failed and I was forced to resign on February 24, 2014 as a result of taking B/O Exam 2613.

Within the 4 years I took two CDL road tests, one in a Tractor Trailer and one in a Bus. As a result, I have a Class A CDL with all of the endorsements (Metal Coil, Passenger, School Bus, Doubles/Triples, Tow Truck, Tank & Hazmat). Since I successfully took a road test in a big bus, I have an "M" restriction, which means that I can not drive a Class A Passenger Vehicle, which doesn't exist in this country since the minimum requirement to drive any bus (school bus, coach bus, etc.) is a Class B with a Passenger endorsement.

(Click here for the full list of endorsements and restrictions in New York and New Jersey.)

My question is: For those of you who have been through this before, will I be able to proceed with the training with the Class A CDL, or will I be forced to downgrade to the Class B? I know 180 Livingston Street doesn't have a problem, since I showed up for an offer from MTA Bus Company, as a result of taking the BOSS, which I declined due to this 5-year rule to begin with. However, will the folks at Zerega Avenue give me a hard time about this?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

I have a Class A as well with the M restriction. No one has told me that I need to downgrade anything. So you will be fine. 

15 minutes ago, LadyJay said:

The training was a breeze. Today was my 7th day & I qualified. So now I go to Jamaica Depot the next 3 days. 

Congrats. So whats the next 3 days for? Are you staying at jamaica? Thats where Im at and love it so far

14 hours ago, LadyJay said:

The training was a breeze. Today was my 7th day & I qualified. So now I go to Jamaica Depot the next 3 days. 

congrats and welcome to the family if you TA  Jamaica depot is a nice depot easy to get days off there book is open all year round and nice and easy short routes

Edited by Humbleguy38

2 minutes ago, Humbleguy38 said:

congrats and welcome to the family if you TA  Jamaica depot is a nice depot easy to get days off there book is open all year round and nice and easy short routes

Except for the Q3 lmao that ones long but not hard

19 hours ago, justdre88 said:

Congrats. So whats the next 3 days for? Are you staying at jamaica? Thats where Im at and love it so far

Today we drove the 3 buses. RTS,Nova, & New Flyer. We were with Oliver, Bush & Siegel. I chose Jamaica as my Depot, but I haven't found out which depot I will be at just as of yet. I'm going back to Jamaica tomorrow for 8:30. How long have you been at Jamaica?

5 hours ago, Humbleguy38 said:

Thank you. I was just there and a guy was telling me the same thing about the book being open & easy to get days off. Nice guy. He was talking to me for a good 15-20 mins. I'll be there tomorrow again at 8:30. 

1 hour ago, TrueJefe said:

How long did they call u after drug test 

I reinstated my list number in october, went in for medical in november and started class in december. My transfer was to jamaica depot and went through 4 days before my dmv driving test so i was lucky and went straight there.