B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

36 minutes ago, NYCTABUS said:

Yes, I didn’t want to go to SI but I have no choice, I live in Qns but a least I’m on the job, even though I would have to travel to SI for couples months until there is something available in Qns. They didn’t say anything. In my class there was about 75 people most of them TA and couples MTA Bus part time.

Welcome to the Island. I think you'll like it over Queens (besides the commute). I used to commute from Jamaica and that was a trip. When you graduate, ask about getting the Express Bus Pass so it'll work on the X routes. Not saying any names but some ops know you're new and will fu*k with you for zero reason.

If you have any questions, shoot me a message. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, mastap123 said:

You will have to go to si until the general picks start then you will be able to pick into Brooklyn manhattan r the Bronx while you wait for your transfer 

Yes, That’s what they said. That’s a long time waiting.

7 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Welcome to the Island. I think you'll like it over Queens (besides the commute). I used to commute from Jamaica and that was a trip. When you graduate, ask about getting the Express Bus Pass so it'll work on the X routes. Not saying any names but some ops know you're new and will fu*k with you for zero reason.

Thank you. That’s what they said about SI, I know is let’s traffic there. I would to do the same, I live in Jamaica too. Okay thanks.

3 hours ago, NYCTABUS said:

Thank you. That’s what they said about SI, I know is let’s traffic there. I would to do the same, I live in Jamaica too. Okay thanks.

Less traffic/ridership (off-peak and overnight) & you move up faster in seniority. My peg when I started was 1440, went to 1320, 3 months later and then 1232 the year after. Already on track to break the 1100s. 

14 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

They actually give out express bus passes now for B/Os? That was definitely not the case in the past.

9 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Less traffic/ridership (off-peak and overnight) & you move up faster in seniority. My peg when I started was 1440, went to 1320, 3 months later and then 1232 the year after. Already on track to break the 1100s. 

That’s good the list move fast in there, but still I prefer to stay in Qns.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:29 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They actually give out express bus passes now for B/Os? That was definitely not the case in the past.

They told me today, that now we can the Express buses with the regular ID card.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:29 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Not this contract but the one before it, the union negotiated for everyone working in SI to get a pass that can dipped and accepted by the farebox on express buses. It's only for SI ops.

10 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Not this contract but the one before it, the union negotiated for everyone working in SI to get a pass that can dipped and accepted by the farebox on express buses. It's only for SI ops.

What? That is crazy. Why not give it to all B/O's or those that have to travel to areas without subways like Northeast Queens?

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What? That is crazy. Why not give it to all B/O's or those that have to travel to areas without subways like Northeast Queens?

I mean that would make the most sense but we both know who's name on the side of the buses. Conversely, SI ops who do live in Long Island, can only have one pass. XBus or the railroad pass. I find the whole thing stupid. It's 2018 and our passes still don't work on MTA Bus vehicles. 

Also, the XBus pass was something that SI's ATU negotiated for their particular contract after TWU signed theirs.

11 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

I mean that would make the most sense but we both know who's name on the side of the buses. Conversely, SI ops who do live in Long Island, can only have one pass. XBus or the railroad pass. I find the whole thing stupid. It's 2018 and our passes still don't work on MTA Bus vehicles. 

Also, the XBus pass was something that SI's ATU negotiated for their particular contract after TWU signed theirs.

This reminds me of the two summers I worked for the (MTA) . They gave us an employee pass but it was only valid Monday through Friday and only for the local bus or subway between 7am - 7pm, so one night there was a mess with the subway and I had to pay part of my fare to get home because I needed to take the bus afterwards and by then it was after 7pm. lol

47 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This reminds me of the two summers I worked for the (MTA) . They gave us an employee pass but it was only valid Monday through Friday and only for the local bus or subway between 7am - 7pm, so one night there was a mess with the subway and I had to pay part of my fare to get home because I needed to take the bus afterwards and by then it was after 7pm. lol

I dont get it though. I let drivers who just show their pass ride free and i havent had a problem on the subway or buses with my pass. Same with lirr. My pass has a U and when they ask for my ticket i just show them the pass and they walk away

1 hour ago, justdre88 said:

I dont get it though. I let drivers who just show their pass ride free and i havent had a problem on the subway or buses with my pass. Same with lirr. My pass has a U and when they ask for my ticket i just show them the pass and they walk away

You've been lucky. If your pass isn't for that mode of transportation, they don't have to let you on. A few years ago, there was a retired (MTA) worker that would ride the express bus here in Riverdale. Likely was visiting someone up here. The drivers always let him on, but I don't think his pass was valid for the express bus, just the local bus and subway. My uncle commuted from Staten Island for a while before moving to NJ, and even though he was a B/O, his pass was not valid (at that time) for the express bus. Local bus and subway only, so he would always either drive to 100th street (at that time) or took the bus to the ferry and then the subway.

There are some workers who believe in covering their @ss so they go by the book. If you get one of them or run into one with a vendetta for whatever reason, they may give you a hard time. Some of the token booth clerks are infamous for this. LOL If you don't use your pass, they won't let you through the turnstile. You learn rather quickly that there is politics with everything at the (MTA) , even in the office environment. You work in your department and generally don't intermingle with the other departments.

I worked in two different departments on two different floors and only mingled with people from those departments. 

Some workers started complaining that it didn't make sense because even if they're from different unions, they all work for the (MTA) , so the nonsense should stop, which may be why you haven't had any issues as of yet.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 6/2/2018 at 2:22 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You've been lucky. If your pass isn't for that mode of transportation, they don't have to let you on. A few years ago, there was a retired (MTA) worker that would ride the express bus here in Riverdale. Likely was visiting someone up here. The drivers always let him on, but I don't think his pass was valid for the express bus, just the local bus and subway. My uncle commuted from Staten Island for a while before moving to NJ, and even though he was a B/O, his pass was not valid (at that time) for the express bus. Local bus and subway only, so he would always either drive to 100th street (at that time) or took the bus to the ferry and then the subway.

There are some workers who believe in covering their @ss so they go by the book. If you get one of them or run into one with a vendetta for whatever reason, they may give you a hard time. Some of the token booth clerks are infamous for this. LOL If you don't use your pass, they won't let you through the turnstile. You learn rather quickly that there is politics with everything at the (MTA) , even in the office environment. You work in your department and generally don't intermingle with the other departments.

I worked in two different departments on two different floors and only mingled with people from those departments. 

Some workers started complaining that it didn't make sense because even if they're from different unions, they all work for the (MTA) , so the nonsense should stop, which may be why you haven't had any issues as of yet.

Yeah for me you work for transit you ride for free and military. Its bad enough my fingers on F5 for everyone else. Might as well be for someone who deserves it lol. What could MTA do anyway if they see you let an employee on without dipping?

2 hours ago, justdre88 said:

Yeah for me you work for transit you ride for free and military. Its bad enough my fingers on F5 for everyone else. Might as well be for someone who deserves it lol. What could MTA do anyway if they see you let an employee on without dipping?

Nothing.... I had a beakie on my bus giving me a observation ride, I had three transit worker boarded my bus and flash their passes. One I let off before a stop but he had the uniformed on. At the end of my observation ride he never mentioned anything about letting that transit worker off before a stop. Not saying they all the same but I guess its common courtesy. On the bulletin it states to let officials with badges on for free such as NYPD, State officials with badges and etc. Thats one of the reasons sometimes police officers give us courtesy when we get pulled over with our own personal cars.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Yo0910 said:

I mean there has to be a freeze, I’ve been on medical hold since March

Why are you on Medical hold, or do you mean you went to medical process and you weren’t place into a class?... Normally after medical and you’re cleared, you are giving instructions to when you start and etc.

12 minutes ago, Yo0910 said:

Would they hire TA drivers for OA or you’re strictly TA?

You’re hired to the agency you were called for. So if its TA they called you for and process, your agency titled will be TA.

As far working at either agency depot, both TA and OA can cross work at either depot except for Staten Island and Queens OA can’t work out of. 

Edited by DueceDrives

23 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

Why are you on Medical hold, or do you mean you went to medical process and you weren’t place into a class?... Normally after medical and you’re cleared, you are giving instructions to when you start and etc.

You’re hired to the agency you were called for. So if its TA they called you for and process, your agency titled will be TA.

As far working at either agency depot, both TA and OA can cross work at either depot except for Staten Island and Queens OA can’t work out of. 

I did the medical but I was placed in medical hold because I had sleep apnea, once I finished I pasted the 90 day deadline so I had to reinstate my list number, a couple months later they removed my list # so I had to reinstate it again and that was in March. I called and they’re still at the same number so that’s why I think they’re is a freeze. “IF” there is a freeze how long does the freeze last?

I was told there is no jobs available at this time that was from Ms.Chestnut yes i did medical got cleared went to station 3 to be told my name was off the list had to go back down to dcas to reinstate it back on the list and it for T.A exam 4600 so I was told again from Ms.Chestnut you have to wait until we get in contact with you