B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

On 7/20/2018 at 5:25 PM, eRod701 said:

This question is for (MTA GROUPIE) or anyone that can give me a jelpful answer. Does the MTA pre-employement center notify via email/spam ? And if so, which one is it & if u can, please tell me how they word it... thx to you all in advance..

Mail via usps

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/22/2018 at 12:54 AM, eRod701 said:

My list # is: 4***

Call 347-643-8229, asked to be transferred to Bus Operator 4600, and let them know you never received your preemployment. Happened to me and that's what I did, received a new preemployment appointment.

I did my pre-employment packet & urine on july 10th @ livingston street for Bus Operator, Exam 4600 & havent been called since. Upon completion of that days things they gave me a brown envelope w/another city employment packet to have completed when, as they said theyll call me, notify me by mail USPS or email (& they said check your spam). Ive also been called by MTA several times prior to july 10th & never went for it cause they were sending my mail to a prior address of mine & i was already working for the city but now figured in making a career change and pursuing it. After placing an address change w/DCAS is when they officially found me, which is when i went this past july 10th 2018. And nothing yet..

9 minutes ago, eRod701 said:

I did my pre-employment packet & urine on july 10th @ livingston street for Bus Operator, Exam 4600 & havent been called since. Upon completion of that days things they gave me a brown envelope w/another city employment packet to have completed when, as they said theyll call me, notify me by mail USPS or email (& they said check your spam). Ive also been called by MTA several times prior to july 10th & never went for it cause they were sending my mail to a prior address of mine & i was already working for the city but now figured in making a career change and pursuing it. After placing an address change w/DCAS is when they officially found me, which is when i went this past july 10th 2018. And nothing yet..

Ok so you did already get called for preemployment, you're waiting for your medical, correct? Medical I am pretty sure it's through e-mail, and it could take up to 90 days. 

Sorry i left out an important part of prior msg & rewrote it... I did my pre-employment packet & urine on july 10th @ livingston street for Bus Operator, Exam 4600 & havent been called since. Upon completion of that days things they gave me a brown envelope w/another city employment packet to have completed for when they, as they said either will call me, notify me by mail USPS or via email (& they said to check my spam) to complete the 2nd phase of the employment process which wld consist of Medical, etc (i really dnt knw). Ive also been called by MTA several times prior to july 10th & never went for it cause they were sending my mail to a prior address of mine & i was already working for the city but now figured in making a career change and pursuing it. After placing an address change w/DCAS is when they officially found me, which is when i went this past july 10th 2018. And nothing yet..

Yes, i completed the first phase... (1) Pre-employment & urine on july 10th. Upon completion of the urine that day they gave me a brown manila envelope and told me to have what's in it completed when I'm called for the 2nd phase, and that they would communicate that to me via email, USPS, etc... & Yes, they did say that it can take up to 90 days but in reading through this MTA site I've read that some people have been called pretty quick. I guess it's when the MTA is in need of drivers and I guess at this point in time they're not really In that deep a need of drivers. 

eRod701

I also went on July 10th did Pre-employment upon completion of the urine that same day I was told these words as you I got a email back that Thursday to come in for medical I was medically cleared and i will be starting on Monday the 6 of August just be patient they will get to you I know your excited as we all do get when we first got that letter in the mail but they will get to you trust me 

Edited by Bk Eny

Gd afternoon all... I actually just called the (347) MTA employee Center number july 24th & asked them in reference to whether I would be called soon, or what my situation was being that I ive seen so many people being called down via this site for their (2nd phase ) Medical, Etc contacted via email, USPS and that I haven't received anything @ all as of yet. So they asked me for my full name, the exam title (Bus Operator), and my list number and told me that what they see within their database is that I have a letter coming out to me and she didn't know what the letter consists of. I don't know, but to me that didn't sound too positive... Anyway I'm sharing my MTA pre-employment Expedition... In hopes of receiving good news...

On 7/24/2018 at 3:47 PM, eRod701 said:

Gd afternoon all... I actually just called the (347) MTA employee Center number july 24th & asked them in reference to whether I would be called soon, or what my situation was being that I ive seen so many people being called down via this site for their (2nd phase ) Medical, Etc contacted via email, USPS and that I haven't received anything @ all as of yet. So they asked me for my full name, the exam title (Bus Operator), and my list number and told me that what they see within their database is that I have a letter coming out to me and she didn't know what the letter consists of. I don't know, but to me that didn't sound too positive... Anyway I'm sharing my MTA pre-employment Expedition... In hopes of receiving good news...

I got the same response when I called earlier this year in regards to my status for Track Worker, in which I got the 1-in-3 letter. Offhand, have you worked for the MTA before in any way in which you were forced to leave on a negative note? The reason why I'm asking is because I have a "gut" feeling that since I failed the 10-day B/O training session back in early 2014, that is actually hurting me in more ways than I expected...we'll see what happens in early 2019...

On 7/25/2018 at 10:40 AM, MasterKhem said:

Contact DCAS ASAP. I did last week because I missed my letter. I moved and never received it. Do You need the number? You'll have to go to the building and reinstate Yourself.....

The phone number is (212) 669 1357. The address can be found on the very bottom of this page.

No, i never worked for the MTA. I work for NYC Dept of Corrections... I believe i took this B/O exam #4600 in 2012 if im not mistaken & have been called several times b4, but never gave it any attn up until now cause i was looking to make a change in career. Being in a jail 16+ hrs pretty much daily, u yourself start to feel like an inmate... I wouldnt mind doing those hours in a driving capacity, though NY can be a bit wild, i knw that. Lived here all my life. I can handle it. Im curious +Young+. What is a 1-in 3 letter, if you dnt mind me asking? Im just like all of us... just human. Im Just a bit anxious to get things going forward already. That is, if the MTA ever considers employing me.

19 hours ago, eRod701 said:

What is a 1-in 3 letter, if you dnt mind me asking? Im just like all of us... just human. Im Just a bit anxious to get things going forward already. That is, if the MTA ever considers employing me.

Read this. IMHO, the agency is abusing this, but that's my opinion.

And for those who disagree with me about them abusing this, I would encourage you to read this as well.

My apologies for going off-topic for a little bit, however I have one question: Interesting, right?

On 7/28/2018 at 5:01 PM, +Young+ said:

Read this. IMHO, the agency is abusing this, but that's my opinion.

And for those who disagree with me about them abusing this, I would encourage you to read this as well.

My apologies for going off-topic for a little bit, however I have one question: Interesting, right?

I thought this was only for promotion exams?

3 hours ago, Bmpo7 said:

I thought this was only for promotion exams?

Unfortunately, this applies to all exams. Not only would I encourage you to read the bottom of this post, but NYCERS (NYC Employment Retirement System) and CUNY (City University of New York) also used this against me when I attended their hiring pools.

What's nice about attending their hiring pools is that they at least gave me a chance to sell myself as the best candidate as a result of taking other civil service examinations through DCAS. However, with NYC Transit, apparently their Employment Operations office makes a decision which you cannot appeal.

I wonder if President Andy Byford knows about this. Probably not...

(And my apologies for going off-topic, even though I'm one of the moderators in which I should be setting an example for the rest of you folks.)