B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, JG116 said:

I was orginally supposed to report last year but had to restore name on list. Im list #2***. I went for drug test on august 15th, tommorow aug 23 i go in for medical. I get fingerprinted tommorow as well or come back for that?

I hope you had no problem with medical. Mind I ask when you restored your name to the list? The reason why I'm asking is because I plan on doing the same thing in about 5 months, however I don't want to do it too early since I have to wait until February 24th, 2019 or later to try again...

11 hours ago, +Young+ said:

I hope you had no problem with medical. Mind I ask when you restored your name to the list? The reason why I'm asking is because I plan on doing the same thing in about 5 months, however I don't want to do it too early since I have to wait until February 24th, 2019 or later to try again...

I restored my name last month mid July and was called for pre employment process a month later. Took my drug test Aug 15, then was emailed just 5 days after to come in for medical in 3 days which was today Aug 23rd. Passed my medical and now i start my training at Zerega Ave on Tuesday Sept 4th. 

11 minutes ago, JG116 said:

I restored my name last month mid July and was called for pre employment process a month later. Took my drug test Aug 15, then was emailed just 5 days after to come in for medical in 3 days which was today Aug 23rd. Passed my medical and now i start my training at Zerega Ave on Tuesday Sept 4th. 

Got it. Thanks for the info!! The last thing I want to do is to restore my name to the list too early...

9 hours ago, leaniel3209 said:

Well im still waiting for medical , i did drug test on aug 14 th , and nothing tet my list number is 7***

The reason why is because they go by list number, and for those who are restoring their name to the list, their list number stays the same. Therefore, since my list number is in the 1600's and @JG116's list number is in the 2000's, we would get first priority over those whose list numbers are in the late 6000's and early 7000's respectively.

Just have patience and you'll be called - you just need some patience. That's all.

25 minutes ago, JG116 said:

Does anyone know how the parking is by Zerega Ave? Those who went for Bus training already did you drive or take public transportation?

If its easy to take public take it... you have to go early only thing is right now its no school so its alil better but if they say come at 7 gotta be there looking for parking by 5:45 at least 

Hey guys When you get hired and you go to your new depot sometimes you have the option of picking an 8 hour, 10 hour or 12 hour route. Not really sure what this means. Do you get more hours a week? Do you a get one more day off for working longer hours.  Im probably way off lol but can anyone fill me in on advantages & disadvantages. Thank you

3 hours ago, JG116 said:

Hey guys When you get hired and you go to your new depot sometimes you have the option of picking an 8 hour, 10 hour or 12 hour route. Not really sure what this means. Do you get more hours a week? Do you a get one more day off for working longer hours.  Im probably way off lol but can anyone fill me in on advantages & disadvantages. Thank you

8, 10, 12 days as in physical time spent or as in being paid? You get 2 days off regardless of what you pick.

Two runs can pay the same but do completely different amounts of work, have different meal times, etc. For example, the typical run on the S79 does 3 round trips, anywhere between 30 min - 1 hr meal and pays 8 hours. There's one that only does 2 rounds with a 2 hour meal and still pays 8 hours. Less work, more meal time, same pay. 

When you're at the depot looking over the work to pick from, you'll understand what I mean. Some runs never get picked because you spend all day in the seat, you don't get any layover time, the work is imbalanced throughout the day (i.e. 1 round, meal, 3 rounds, etc.)

2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

8, 10, 12 days as in physical time spent or as in being paid? You get 2 days off regardless of what you pick.

Two runs can pay the same but do completely different amounts of work, have different meal times, etc. For example, the typical run on the S79 does 3 round trips, anywhere between 30 min - 1 hr meal and pays 8 hours. There's one that only does 2 rounds with a 2 hour meal and still pays 8 hours. Less work, more meal time, same pay. 

When you're at the depot looking over the work to pick from, you'll understand what I mean. Some runs never get picked because you spend all day in the seat, you don't get any layover time, the work is imbalanced throughout the day (i.e. 1 round, meal, 3 rounds, etc.)

2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Oh ok yea thats what i must of over heard. Ok thanks. So why wouldnt you want less work, more meal time, same pay? Lol

4 hours ago, leaniel3209 said:

Anyone knows at what time to call DCAS , im calling but when i put info it just hangs up , is it being updated , cause supposely its the last sunday of the month that gives the list number ?

26 minutes ago, leaniel3209 said:

Im trying to call dcas number to see what list number they up to but when i press for exam number 4600 the found just hangs up is it that its being updated

From my experience, I usually call the first Sunday of the month. However, as far as the system "hanging up" on you, it has happened to me too. I don't think it's being "updated" since I would call again Monday morning, and, for most of the lists that I'm on, the information would stay the same.

As far as what list number they are up to, between DCAS and this forum, click here.

(Long story short: According to DCAS, they're up to the 6700's, but according to this thread/topic, they're up to the 7100's.)