Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
BusOperator3319

B/O 4600 Hiring Process

+Young+

Attention Folks:

For those of you who are not aware, as per the Active Civil Service List page of the NYC Open Data website, this list has been extended until January 6th, 2021. For those of you who want to restore your name to the list, click here for instructions on how to do so via e-mail. If you wish to do this in person, click here for those instructions.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the immediate future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

For those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Good luck and remember to check those mirrors every three to five seconds!!

Message added by +Young+

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

 

I got a similar letter for the Track Worker position within the past year. To make a long story short, as this post will tell you, for whatever reason, you have been disqualified and your name has been removed from the list. As far as why, they don't elaborate.

If you wish to investigate, you can try to call Ms. Rivera to get an explanation at the information provided in this post. Other than that, there's really no way to appeal, since DCAS has nothing to do with this whatsoever. The fact that they used the 1-in-3 rule against people, is, in my opinion, completely bu**sh**, especially since, from my perspective, there is no hiring pool or anything like that. They can just practically use anything against you for whatever reason, which is a true shame.

If I’m correct, I believe one of the members here received the same letter but still got called?......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

If I’m correct, I believe one of the members here received the same letter but still got called?......

I personally never got called back for the Track Worker position. When I called to find out why, they asked me "Did you ever work for the MTA?" I answered "yes," and they, along with the first link in my previous post (#6378) told me that since I failed the 10-day B/O training session was the primary reason why I got the 1-in-3 letter for the Track Worker position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leaniel3209 said:

Im still on list , ive heard that they need to 1 in 3 you 3 times then youre off the list

Im pretty sure they’ll call you. As much Operators are needed is high demands. The more that comes, the more promotions are taken place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, +Young+ said:

I personally never got called back for the Track Worker position. When I called to find out why, they asked me "Did you ever work for the MTA?" I answered "yes," and they, along with the first link in my previous post (#6378) told me that since I failed the 10-day B/O training session was the primary reason why I got the 1-in-3 letter for the Track Worker position.

So i also just failed the 10 day training but just got my list no for T/O. Does this mean they'll likely try to dq me with the 1 in 3 rule? When you sent the nasty letter about that super, you wrote it anonymously?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

So i also just failed the 10 day training but just got my list no for T/O. Does this mean they'll likely try to dq me with the 1 in 3 rule? When you sent the nasty letter about that super, you wrote it anonymously?

Bed on the post in the other thread and my experience, I have a "gut" feeling they are going to.  When I sent that letter I did not do it anonymously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Bed on the post in the other thread and my experience, I have a "gut" feeling they are going to.  When I sent that letter I did not do it anonymously.

Hmm. Perhaps that letter might have harmed you even more than failing? I asked them at the DOB if I might get the 1 in 3 letter for t/o for failing buses and they said it wouldn't. But who knows with Transit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 4:10 PM, MarkGuy said:

Hmm. Perhaps that letter might have harmed you even more than failing? I asked them at the DOB if I might get the 1 in 3 letter for t/o for failing buses and they said it wouldn't. But who knows with Transit? 

We'll see what happens. They said the same thing to me about the Track Worker position, however the Dept. of Buses at Zerega and 180 Livingston Street are two different departments. Whoever said that to you at Zerega probably didn't know anything about the "1-in-3" rule or anything to that nature.

In addition, it's a shame that they do this, because as I learned from taking a class through the OSA, NYC Transit is "not" a city agency for the following reasons:

-They have a President and not a Commissioner, unlike NYPD, FDNY, DOT, Sanitation, NYCHA, DCAS, Department of Finance, etc.

-They have regular board meetings (with the exception of August) while NYPD, FDNY, DOT, Sanitation, etc. do not have any board meetings

-DCAS administers the civil service exams and produces the list for all of the other city agencies except NYC Transit with testing centers in every borough except The Bronx

-"1-in-3" rule is meant to be used in Hiring Pools after a candidate is unsuccessful in obtaining the position in which the agency feels that there are other people on the list who are more suitable for the position

-Possible other reason(s) which I cannot currently think of

As far as that "letter" hurting me more than failing the 10-day training session, I'll see what happens in about four months. If I get another 1-in-3 letter in the mail from them, then that will probably explain the reasoning behind it, even though they do not have "hiring pools" unlike the other agencies, like NYCERS, to give you a chance to get the position. Instead, they make up their minds and whatever they say goes, without an appeal process whatsoever.

And, even if I get the letter, at least I was "sneaky" to run off a copy of my instructor's handouts and post it on the site for all of the members and guests to use to prepare for the intense 10-day "bootcamp" training session!!

Edited by +Young+
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

We'll see what happens. They said the same thing to me about the Track Worker position, however the Dept. of Buses at Zerega and 180 Livingston Street are two different departments. Whoever said that to you at Zerega probably didn't know anything about the "1-in-3" rule or anything to that nature.

In addition, it's a shame that they do this, because as I learned from taking a class through the OSA, NYC Transit is "not" a city agency for the following reasons:

-They have a President and not a Commissioner, unlike NYPD, FDNY, DOT, Sanitation, NYCHA, DCAS, Department of Finance, etc.

-They have regular board meetings (with the exception of August) while NYPD, FDNY, DOT, Sanitation, etc. do not have any board meetings

-DCAS administers the civil service exams and produces the list for all of the other city agencies except NYC Transit with testing centers in every borough except The Bronx

-Possible other reason(s) which I cannot currently think of

As far as that "letter" hurting me more than failing the 10-day training session, I'll see what happens in about four months. If I get another 1-in-3 letter in the mail from them, then that will probably explain the reasoning behind it, even though they do not have "hiring pools" unlike the other agencies, like NYCERS, to give you a chance to get the position. Instead, they make up their minds and whatever they say goes, without an appeal process whatsoever.

And, even if I get the letter, at least I was "sneaky" to run off a copy of my instructor's handouts and post it on the site for all of the members and guests to use to prepare for the intense 10-day "bootcamp" training session!!

I'm hopeful because MAbsToa isn't civil service. But hypothetically if I get that letter dq'ing me for t/o, should I try appealing? Take more exams? Would this failure impede my ability to join transit in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarkGuy said:

I'm hopeful because MAbsToa isn't civil service. But hypothetically if I get that letter dq'ing me for t/o, should I try appealing? Take more exams? Would this failure impede my ability to join transit in the future?

I would definitely try to think positive by appealing and take more exams, however who can we appeal to? The only person I can think of is Andy Byford at 2 Broadway, however, even if I write another one, with all of the positive things President Byford has done within the past calendar year, is he really going to be able to shake things up in that Human Resources office? I spoke to several representatives at DCAS, and, to make a long story short, they don't want to get involved in any of this...trust me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

I would definitely try to think positive by appealing and take more exams, however who can we appeal to? The only person I can think of is Andy Byford at 2 Broadway, however, even if I write another one, with all of the positive things President Byford has done within the past calendar year, is he really going to be able to shake things up in that Human Resources office? I spoke to several representatives at DCAS, and, to make a long story short, they don't want to get involved in any of this...trust me.

Ok. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, +Young+ said:

We'll see what happens. They said the same thing to me about the Track Worker position, however the Dept. of Buses at Zerega and 180 Livingston Street are two different departments. Whoever said that to you at Zerega probably didn't know anything about the "1-in-3" rule or anything to that nature.

In addition, it's a shame that they do this, because as I learned from taking a class through the OSA, NYC Transit is "not" a city agency for the following reasons:

-They have a President and not a Commissioner, unlike NYPD, FDNY, DOT, Sanitation, NYCHA, DCAS, Department of Finance, etc.

-They have regular board meetings (with the exception of August) while NYPD, FDNY, DOT, Sanitation, etc. do not have any board meetings

-DCAS administers the civil service exams and produces the list for all of the other city agencies except NYC Transit with testing centers in every borough except The Bronx

-Possible other reason(s) which I cannot currently think of

As far as that "letter" hurting me more than failing the 10-day training session, I'll see what happens in about four months. If I get another 1-in-3 letter in the mail from them, then that will probably explain the reasoning behind it, even though they do not have "hiring pools" unlike the other agencies, like NYCERS, to give you a chance to get the position. Instead, they make up their minds and whatever they say goes, without an appeal process whatsoever.

And, even if I get the letter, at least I was "sneaky" to run off a copy of my instructor's handouts and post it on the site for all of the members and guests to use to prepare for the intense 10-day "bootcamp" training session!!

MTA is manage by the state which is why its listed as State officials.  But not to be off topic, I read an article a couple of days ago regarding should the city take control over MTA since many people were not satisfied with the way Albany is handling MTA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone I just got my pre-employment package in the email for bus operator .....do you need to show up with a CDL permit and all documents to move on and do you get drug/physical tested that day also???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DD32680 said:

Hi everyone I just got my pre-employment package in the email for bus operator .....do you need to show up with a CDL permit and all documents to move on and do you get drug/physical tested that day also???

Yes. Bring your permit, abstract (if you have an out of state license), birth certificate, completed pre-employment package and you should be good to go. They will do at least your drug test that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys I have another question,

Where is the best place to go to learn and get a CDL for Bus Operator? I know Red Hook On The Road is a good place but that is only for the unemployed. Where are some good places that will train you for Bus Operator and help to obtain the CDL? Hopefully some that are free? 

Thanks again, you guys are doing a great service by helping others like me.

Edited by MTAdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MTAdude said:

Hey guys I have another question,

Where is the best place to go to learn and get a CDL for Bus Operator? I know Red Hook On The Road is a good place but that is only for the unemployed. Where are some good places that will train you for Bus Operator and help to obtain the CDL? Hopefully some that are free? 

Thanks again, you guys are doing a great service by helping others like me.

Unfortunately there are none that are free. Depending on where you specifically live, I would do some research and take it from there. Some driving schools are Driving Academy, Sunny Truck Driving School, Atlas Driving School and my alma mater, Ferrari Driving School.

What I liked about Ferrari are several things. First, they have four [4] locations, two in Queens, one in Brooklyn and one in the Bronx. Second, for those of you who do not want the "E" restriction on your license (click here for more information) they do have stick-shift buses at their Long Island City location, which is within walking distance from the (N)(W) Astoria/Ditmars Boulevard subway station. In addition, if you take the (M)(R) to Steinway Street, their main office is right in front of one of the staircases that lead you into and out of the station. Third, they have several packages available. Although it is outdated, here is a sample from one of their brochures:

2dmiayw.jpg

However, be advised that if you get your CDL beforehand, you might develop bad driving habits which will be hard to break once you enter the 10-day training. Therefore, I would advise to choose wisely. Feel free to send me a private message (PM) if you wish to continue this conversation.

 

Edited by +Young+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey ,  currently waiting to get called up list number very high 26xx on exam 7612! Does anyone from past experience know how long until mta start reaching such a high number? Please any information is much appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dopeqdriver said:

Hey ,  currently waiting to get called up list number very high 26xx on exam 7612! Does anyone from past experience know how long until mta start reaching such a high number? Please any information is much appreciated. 

Please post in the relevant forum as per the guidelines of the website...the link for Exam 7612 can be found here. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mtahopefully said:

Hey guys I have a question? With the Artic buses or the new flyers do the regularly review the camaras or is it only when there’s an accident? 

The cameras record continually but they can only pull footage for accident/incident review. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get violations for driving what does it actually mean? A certain amount you get suspended? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 10:38 PM, R170 said:

Does any know what list number are they up to ?

According to posts #230 and 231 from this page, I believe they are finished with this list. They're just waiting for this list to expire, and anyone who wishes to restore their name to the list, respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s not true .....I’m test 4600 and got a pre-employment interview for October 23 which I declines and then November 13 which I won’t be able to go and MTA is setting me up with another interview sometime in December...they are working with me which is awesome because of my current job and because I will be out of town 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.