B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Hi, I got a interview letter, got the brown envelope and filled out some paper in Brooklyn, but since I had pending tickets could not proceed with other tests, I was given a letter to resolve the issue and call back a phone number for next appointment when done, do I still need to restore my number to the list?  Thanks in advance for the answer 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, DD32680 said:

That’s not true .....I’m test 4600 and got a pre-employment interview for October 23 which I declines and then November 13 which I won’t be able to go and MTA is setting me up with another interview sometime in December...they are working with me which is awesome because of my current job and because I will be out of town 

That's awesome about the fact that they're working with you...however, your original interview was back in October, and even though your list number is in the 5200's, not everyone shows up, not everyone passes the drug test nor medical, they get discouraged, etc., therefore, if they're not 100% finished, they're very close to that number. By the way, @Antony's list number is in the 6500's.

6 hours ago, Antony said:

Hi, I got a interview letter, got the brown envelope and filled out some paper in Brooklyn, but since I had pending tickets could not proceed with other tests, I was given a letter to resolve the issue and call back a phone number for next appointment when done, do I still need to restore my number to the list?  Thanks in advance for the answer 

Mind I ask how long ago this happened? If it was a while ago, yes. If not, then you shouldn't need to. If the HR Department gives you the "run-around," then I would suggest to call Ms. Rivera and take it from there. And if you need to restore your name to the list, click here for information on how to do so.

14 hours ago, Antony said:

That was May but my ticket is still pending, because the lawyer changed the date on it 

I see...regardless, they will not let you continue if it's "pending." They will let you continue if it's paid.

Therefore, it's up to you...

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, same thing happened to me in April, having to resolve a pending ticket before I could continue the hiring process. Had to wait for a court date which wound up being July 27, but the good thing is I got the ticket thrown out. So now I’m calling the number they told me to call once I resolved the issue of the pending ticket, but no one ever picks up the phone, and no one ever calls back when I leave a message. 

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, MTA Groupie said:

Hello everyone... happy new year to all!!!

Question does anyone knows what’s going with List 4600... if they are still calling, what number was last called Etc

Happy New Year to you too!!

According to the NYC Open Data Civil Service List (Active) page (type "4600" in the search box on the top right, followed by pressing enter), this list expires in approximately 11 months. In addition, if you look at the last few pages of the B/O 7612 Hiring Process topic/thread, they have started calling people from that list. Whether they already had a class or not is unknown.

The reason why I say "unknown" is because of this post in the MaBSTOA #4105 Hiring Process topic/thread, in which the Bus Operator positions (which I'm assuming is for TA, OA & BC) are on hold since the (L) train shutdown will not be happening for 15 consecutive months as the agency originally stated.

Therefore, the one word I have, which I know is hard to digest is patience. What's good though is if you check out the NYC Open Data Civil Service List Certification page, if you type "04600" (followed by putting the request dates in descending order) and "07612" in the search box on the top right, you'll see that the candidates from this exam have first priority compared to those from the 7612 list.

Hey guys, my list number is in the 3100's...i deferred my candidacy after i went to pre-employment sometime in 2017...

Is it true if i restore my name to the list i may not make it before next year? MTA no longer hiring off 4600? This would be a true bummer.

Edited by MTAdude

29 minutes ago, MTAdude said:

Is it true if i restore my name to the list i may not make it before next year? MTA no longer hiring off 4600? This would be a true bummer.

As I stated in post #6412, the list expires in approximately 11 months from now, therefore, if I was you, give them some time. It's not like the list expires tomorrow or next week or anything to that nature.

10 minutes ago, MTAdude said:

Also, is there a number I can call to restore my name on the list and ask some questions regarding 4600. Thanks!

As far as questions are concerned, you can call their Employment Operations at 347-643-8229/30/31/32. If you want to restore your name to the list, the quickest and most efficient way to do this is via email...click here for more information.

You can call DCAS to restore your name to the list (212-669-1357, Prompt #2, followed by entering your Social Security #, etc.), however this involves faxing a certain form back to them, therefore unless you have easy access to a fax machine, I would strongly suggest emailing them.

Thank you Young, i appreciate the speedy and detailed response. As long as they are still actively hiring off 4600 than that is good news.

In the process of getting my CDL now, so that will take atleast a month or 2.

Edited by MTAdude

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

You're welcome! Good luck with the CDL!

I tried calling the numbers and it appears no one is answering, i also emailed then just now and awaiting  a response,  hopefully in the next few days.

I just wanted to know what my status was with MTA, before I go knees deep into a CDL cert program. I went to pre-employment in 2017, recieved my packet and never continued with the process after that and i did not let them know. Just checking to make sure i wasnt blacklisted from the list or anything. 

11 hours ago, MTAdude said:

i also emailed then just now and awaiting  a response,  hopefully in the next few days.

From experience, you won't get a response via email. Instead, providing you included all of the information in that link, you'll get a letter from DCAS in the mail within two weeks stating that your name has been restored to the list.

11 hours ago, MTAdude said:

I just wanted to know what my status was with MTA, before I go knees deep into a CDL cert program. I went to pre-employment in 2017, recieved my packet and never continued with the process after that and i did not let them know. Just checking to make sure i wasnt blacklisted from the list or anything. 

It sounds like you're a "no-show" which is the same category that I fall into since I was not only out-of-town when the initial letter came in the mail, but I knew going down there was a waste of time since it wasn't five years since I failed the 10-day training session back in February of 2014. As long as you restore your name to the list, I have one word for you, which also implies to me as well: patience.

Thanks for the help...

I have some questions about the job if you or anyone else does not mind assisting,..

1) whats the pay like every 2 weeks AFTER taxes for both first year and top pay bus operators? Ive tried researching this on google and I get very vague results. Id like to know what it is after taxes for both 1st year and top pay so I can see if the salary  suits me as of right now...

2) do most operators enjoy their jobs? Ive researched this and surprisingly this is considered a very stressful career. I don't understand? I personally see driving in general as enjoyable, just drive, assist passengers as you should and that's it. I understand the customers can be very pesky at times, but cant operators just ignore it and not let it get to them? Customer service is a reality of ALL jobs, we just cant let it get to us.  Personally, I see the job as enjoyable, hitting the road, and clearing your mind while doing your job.

3) How hard is it to learn the lines and how long does each trip typically last? Is it safe to safe that once you get your line, you just run that line over and over again until your shift is over? Is it possible to get a steady line and hold it for a few years?

4) what happens if an operator makes a mistake and misses a turn in his route and lets say he is unfamiliar with the area, what does the operator do in that regard?

5) how many days a week is an operator on and off? I believe it is 5 days on 2 days off a week if im not mistaken, and is it possible to use OT in time rather than pay? any detailed explanation would be great interms of scheduling and OT.

5 questions...I know it is a lot lol. But I am trying to making a big career decision here...I appreciate anyone who assists me!!!

18 minutes ago, MTAdude said:

Thanks for the help...

I have some questions about the job if you or anyone else does not mind assisting,..

1) whats the pay like every 2 weeks AFTER taxes for both first year and top pay bus operators? Ive tried researching this on google and I get very vague results. Id like to know what it is after taxes for both 1st year and top pay so I can see if the salary  suits me as of right now...

2) do most operators enjoy their jobs? Ive researched this and surprisingly this is considered a very stressful career. I don't understand? I personally see driving in general as enjoyable, just drive, assist passengers as you should and that's it. I understand the customers can be very pesky at times, but cant operators just ignore it and not let it get to them? Customer service is a reality of ALL jobs, we just cant let it get to us.  Personally, I see the job as enjoyable, hitting the road, and clearing your mind while doing your job.

3) How hard is it to learn the lines and how long does each trip typically last? Is it safe to safe that once you get your line, you just run that line over and over again until your shift is over? Is it possible to get a steady line and hold it for a few years?

4) what happens if an operator makes a mistake and misses a turn in his route and lets say he is unfamiliar with the area, what does the operator do in that regard?

5) how many days a week is an operator on and off? I believe it is 5 days on 2 days off a week if im not mistaken, and is it possible to use OT in time rather than pay? any detailed explanation would be great interms of scheduling and OT.

5 questions...I know it is a lot lol. But I am trying to making a big career decision here...I appreciate anyone who assists me!!!

I am going to try and help you understand as much as possible

1. This answer is very vague because you get paid your run pay. Yes you get hourly pay and the minimum they can pay you is for 8 hrs of work but most runs atentnonly 8 hrs. Every pick you could have a run that pays 80 hrs every 2 weeks or 86-90 hrs every 2 weeks when first starting as you pick whats left after everyone else picked the good stuff. Now if your on the extra list you could make a bit more money as your covering for those who are off or out sick or vacation and take their run for the day but being on the extra list could be chaiotic and you pick a run everyday for the next day and it goes in seniority order. 

2. I for one love my job. I personally love driving but driving a bus is not the same. Some people tel me “oh all you do is drive a bus all day” but no theres more to it. Im actually not killing anyone all day. It gets stressful at times because driving a bus you could kill that cycilist you dont see on your right side, or that person about to run across the street from between parked cars. You always have to be alert and literally kiss those mirrors to always know whats going on around you. And for one I work in an area thats a bit rough around the edges so i have to deal with a lot of farebeaters, people fighting, and people with attitude. Yes you can choose to ignore it but ill tell you right now, that will not always work and people will get to you.... i for one when im about to lose my cool, i think about my pension and benefits. You could lose it all for an ingrate. 

3. Depending where you go some depots have more lines than others. And im not sure about other depots but at my depot we have 9 lines, one of them youll never see because only seniors take them as that line has weekends off.  You will most likely get runs that have 2 lines in them so you wont be just driving 1 line. Your first half maybe be 1 line and the other half a different one. Again its all what you pick for the quarter and picks go by seniority so in the begining you will get the worst.

4. If you kiss a turn do not DO NOT try and fix it on your own. If you try to fix it on your own and make a bigger mistake you will be blamed for it 100%. If you miss a turn, pull over hit your RTT and tell console you missed a turn and need assistance on getting back on route. You let them know you dont know the area and if they cant explain it to you properly they will send a dispatcher to assist you. You wont get in trouble.

5. You off 2 days a week regardless. Our week start sundays and yes you can bank your ot hrs into OTO up to 72 hrs and use them to request days off. Its smart in the beginning to bank them then take a week or 2 off before your probation ends so you can clear probation without working. Again scheduling is all up to what you pick and what you pick if whats available as everything is in seniority order. Good luck i hope i helped

12 minutes ago, MTAdude said:

Thanks for the help...

1. Assuming that you are claiming 0 exemptions for both federal and state tax AND no other deductions, you will be looking at $1100-1200 a check for 80 hour pay periods. When you get your first paycheck after the 10 day training, it will be for 80 hours. You will be definitely be getting more than 80 hour checks because of the overtime that you'll get from working the list, being late, etc. Last year, I grossed $77,000 making $27.25/hr, so just going off the base salary wouldn't be enough to go off. Top pay as of right now is $34.06/hr.

2. This job is what you make of it. It can be stressful and it will be in the beginning. Not everyone is built to be driving a bus where they have to co-exist with other drivers and pedestrians who care less about the fact that you're driving a bus. Then, there's the stress that stem from the passengers and trying to make it thru probation, etc. If you enjoy driving, then you're already a leg up from everyone else. Me personally, I love the job. When I'm working the express lines and get on the highway, it's the best thing ever.

3. Again, depends on you. Some lines you learn easy, some you won't. When you go to your first depot for line training, you will learn all the lines out of that depot. However, if you pick out to another depot (or get bumped out), then you will have to learn that depot's lines. If you come to Staten Island, you will be learning ALL the local and express routes. I lived in Queens and got forced to Staten Island and I had no idea where anything was but I made it my mission to not mess up any of the routes that I had to drive. Only messed up the S57 during line training, only because I mistaken the street I had to turn down with the following street. (Which was save-able because all I had to do was go around the block)

4. If you don't know, you are to pull over and call the Command Center and they will assist you either by giving you directions or by sending supervision to your location. Alternatively, you can flag down a police officer for assistance or another bus and they will help you out. The passengers also know the route so they can sometimes help you out. When in doubt, stop and stay and wait for assistance. You don't want to get stuck down a narrow street and wind up getting stuck (which is OK) and hitting something. (Which is not OK)

5. You get two days off together with some exceptions. When a new pick starts, you assume the new RDOs (Regular Days Off) of the work you picked. The work week runs from Sunday through Saturday and picks always start on a Sunday. For example, if you had Tues-Weds off the last pick and your new pick has Thurs-Friday off, you will be working the week straight. So your work week will look like this:

SUNDAY- MONDAY (WORK), TUESDAY-WEDNESDAY (OFF), THURS-SAT (WORK). [Old pick ends] [New pick starts] SUN-WED (WORK), THURS-FRI (OFF), SAT (WORK)

If you pick Vacation Relief, then your RDOs will change every week, because you will be assuming the work and days off of operators on vacation. Yes, you can bank any overtime earned to use for a day off. You need a minimum of 8 hours to take a day off, and if you want to be paid your run pay (if greater than 8 hours), then the time in your bank has to match that run pay. For example, if your run pays 11:50, you can get the day off with just having 8 hours in your bank but if you want to NOT lose money, then you need that 11:50 in the bank.

You can PM me, I can get in depth with all of this.

I have good news for those still waiting to get hired off of this list!!

If you check out the NYC Open Data Civil Service List Certification page, followed by typing in "04600" in the search box on the top right, you'll see that on February 6th, they have "certified" 117 candidates who requested to have their name restored to the list.

Hopefully we'll be getting those letters in the mail soon!!

Though I was on that very list, and going through the hiring process ( Completed employment packet, urine drug test), they the MTA/City sent me a 4.7.1 letter that states, " You were considered, but not selected " ruining my chances for the job. It also Stated that, " I can only be recertified by this agency upon this agencies request ." This is really messed up because prior to this I was a city worker and unfortunately lost both my parents in one year, and for grieving their loss, the other agency didn't stick by me and unfortunately let me go, and now I'm being damn by both agencies, though I qualify for the job. I've reached out to all my local politicians as well as those politicians who serve Us in Washington. I even reached out to the news media ( The channel 7 on your side team), and would you believe no one has helped. I didn't know which other way to turn, nor do I, so I have had to just raise my hands and say to god, I give up, But Good luck to all of you who have been called for the job. 👍

29 minutes ago, eRod701 said:

Though I was on that very list, and going through the hiring process...

Have you tried writing a letter to Governor Cuomo at the address at the bottom of this page? That's what I would do, especially after reading this, this & this article.

As they say, "You never know until you try."

Edited by +Young+

Have i ? These are the individuals that I have written to with my dilemma, and what they really did was crippled me, because they've made it a very, very stressful road ahead for me to attempt to get employment. And good employment. Employment that I qualify for in every way, yet they make me feel as though I myself am and was a prisoner. Prisoners right now have better chances at getting employed at a high-paying job than I do, because of what they've done to me. These are those individuals who I, as of the end of April 2018 have written to via there .gov  emails, and in this same order: 

- The commissioner of the Department of Corrections: Miss Cynthia Brann

- Her Deputy Commissioner of the Department of Corrections: Miss Pinnock

- The mayor of New York: Bill De Blasio

- I also CC'd The NYC Department of Labor

- My District 13 City Councilman: Mark Gjonaj/ and his predecessor: Mr James Vacca

- The Governor: Andrew Cuomo

- New York Senator: Chuck Schumer

- The Channel 7 On Your Side team: Sophia, Pineda, Hoffer, and Leigh...

I even just recently, due to the fact that she was just recently elected into office, I also reached out to:

- Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, who is also allegedly from the Bronx, but did not do, nor has she reached out to her mutual bronxite... ME.

Mr. Young you state that " You never know until you try " ? I've been on this forum months ago looking into my job opportunity on the list for, Bus Operator exam number: 4600, and you have given me and a lot of others very good information. I have found you to be very helpful  and informative. Just look at this long list of my trying, and it wasn't just one time that I emailed these individuals at there .gov email addresses. It's been several times, to an obvious, no avail. If you or anyone else out there reading this email know of how I can get any vindication or somehow have these bars that they've placed around me lifted, and allowing me to be human once again, I plead with you all, please let me know. Because of all of this that's occurred, I have had to disgracefully apply for public assistance, etc. I've used up all my savings etc. I'm not giving up, but it's been very hard.

48 minutes ago, eRod701 said:

Have i ? These are the individuals that I have written to with my dilemma...

Mr. Young you state that " You never know until you try " ? I've been on this forum months ago looking into my job opportunity on the list for, Bus Operator exam number: 4600, and you have given me and a lot of others very good information. I have found you to be very helpful  and informative. Just look at this long list of my trying, and it wasn't just one time that I emailed these individuals at there .gov email addresses. It's been several times, to an obvious, no avail. If you or anyone else out there reading this email know of how I can get any vindication or somehow have these bars that they've placed around me lifted, and allowing me to be human once again, I plead with you all, please let me know. Because of all of this that's occurred, I have had to disgracefully apply for public assistance, etc. I've used up all my savings etc. I'm not giving up, but it's been very hard.

Personally (and this is me personally), a formal letter in the mail would be more powerful. If you email the people you mention, nothing will happen. Trust me - I've been there, done that, and with the emails, nothing will happen. In addition, do you still have the 1-in-3 letter that you got in the mail? If so, this would be very good "proof" to your case.

In an effort to stay on-topic, I sent you a Private Message (PM) about this. Therefore, send me a reply and we'll take it from there.

Edited by +Young+