B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we officially become part of mta, Police tickets wont exist like that if you get pulled over unless its parking. Once you show your Bus ID pass they let you go. But you have to be reasonable and not cocky. Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Your pass will get you a free ride in Bus and train.  That is it. Dont expect any different treatment from cops

When we officially become part of mta, Police tickets wont exist like that if you get pulled over unless its parking. Once you show your Bus ID pass they let you go. But you have to be reasonable and not cocky. Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Your pass will get you a free ride in Bus and train.  That is it. Dont expect any different treatment from cops

Thats why i said Reasonable. Of course if your doing 60 on a 35mph zone thats no excuse, but light traffic stop like tints, broken tail lights, etc. Im going on based on past experience riding with a mta employee being pulled over a few times

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Is mta going to drop any questions from test 4600?

I did not attend the protest session, however I doubt it. I took both exams 2613 and 4600. Myself and a few other people, who took both exams will agree that 4600 was easier than 2613 which had a lot more reading comprehension compared to anything else (80 questions compared to 60). I also obtained a higher score on this exam compared to 2613 as well.

How far on the list did u get on exam 2613

When I compared my answers to the proposed answer key, I thought I got a score of 88.75%. However, they mailed me my results with a final score of 87.50%. Why this is - I don't know 100%, I probably made an error when initially recording my answers or comparing the online answer key with my results.

With that I obtained a list # of 27*. I don't want to post the last #, since you never know who can be reading this (maybe someone from HR of NYC Transit). Anyways, myself, along with the first group of people reported for the first drug test in early November, and next week, I report to Zerega for Training. I have been posting my progress in the B/O Exam 2613 thread (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/) in case anyone is interested. 

Hey Busman, it happened at the Ferry. I technically stopped, but just for a split second so I admit it was my fault. Long story, but there was something else you could have written me up for (that I was not aware of) and didn't. My friend (who is a cop) said he did me a favor by not giving me the other one too cause that's also points (and money). So, I'm trying to be grateful even though he could have let me slide. I had zero points, etc. and it's not like I just flew through the stop sign. I stopped, but too briefly (think it's a 3-second rule). Anyway, I'm "older" so I don't let things like that bother me anymore. There are much more important things in life. If it were 10+ years ago, I would be fuming, etc. As long as this won't affect me getting on MTA (which I know it won't so long as I don't get other moving violations) it's cool. The $138 won't put me on the streets or anything.

Hey Busman, it happened at the Ferry. I technically stopped, but just for a split second so I admit it was my fault. Long story, but there was something else you could have written me up for (that I was not aware of) and didn't. My friend (who is a cop) said he did me a favor by not giving me the other one too cause that's also points (and money). So, I'm trying to be grateful even though he could have let me slide. I had zero points, etc. and it's not like I just flew through the stop sign. I stopped, but too briefly (think it's a 3-second rule). Anyway, I'm "older" so I don't let things like that bother me anymore. There are much more important things in life. If it were 10+ years ago, I would be fuming, etc. As long as this won't affect me getting on MTA (which I know it won't so long as I don't get other moving violations) it's cool. The $138 won't put me on the streets or anything.

Sign of relief. You will be ok think positive

I know this ! I'm not going to training just with a permit .cdl licences is a must-have..I'm just saying.

Really? The people going to training must have a CDL license? If that is the case, then how come on the second page of the Notice of Examination (http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf), it says that you must possess either a Class B Commercial Drivers License (CDL) OR a Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York AND a CDL Learner Permit with Passenger Endorsement?

In addition, what happens if you do not pass the training session? Then you just wasted all of that $$ of a CDL for nothing, right?

Edited by +Young+

Thanks! However, from reading 2 other Bus Operator threads, the training session prepares you for the road test, so I am not 100% worried about it. In addition, someone on one of those threads posted some advice as far as how to pass the test.

Plus, for those of us that want to save $$, this is the way to go, because you do not have to give $$ to go to driving school, nor use a bus for the road test!

Edited by +Young+

All I am going to say is that with most things in life, there are advantages and disadvantages. Like someone else said in the other threads, the DMV test is not a big deal, they train you, and the day before they show you the road test area and let you practice on the bus you will be using and they also allow you to ask any questions. They are not just going to give it to you on a random day. In addition, someone else also said on the other threads that the MTA prefers candidates with the permits. Now if you go to driving school and get the CDL, you could possibly pick up bad driving habits, which the MTA does not want.

Like I also previously said (post #874), I also took exam 2613 in January of 2013, and one of the advantages of taking that exam is, regardless of whether I have my permit or CDL, I am going to have seniority over you, and chances are, I am also going to get hired before you as well!

Again, there are advantages and disadvantages with most things in life...

Edited by +Young+

Just wanted to throw some pointers out there. Chances are MTA is expecting you already know how to drive a big commercial vehicle. Its not drivers Ed when they hire you, its more like Im show you how to operate our bus safest way without causing any harm and damage.

Most people are great learning the first time VS a person who doesnt have a clue how to operate an air brake vehicle. Kudos to those who doesnt need that much practice.

Also not every trainee instructor are the same. I know two off top from MTA that are butts and will challenge you on day 7. If you dont have a lack of experience handling a commercial air brake vehicle, it doesnt hurt to practice and pay some lessons or get your license before mta helps you.

The bad habits are usually folks who works for other commercial company for years (which of course you deliver bad habit driving skills) even some Bus operator in mta drives illegally when they behind the mta buses.

Edited by DueceDrives

Just wanted to throw some pointers out there. Chances are MTA is expecting you already know how to drive a big commercial vehicle. Its not drivers Ed when they hire you, its more like Im show you how to operate our bus safest way without causing any harm and damage.Most people are great learning the first time VS a person who doesnt have a clue how to operate an air brake vehicle. Kudos to those who doesnt need that much practice. Also not every trainee instructor are the same. I know two off top from MTA that are butts and will challenge you on day 7. If you dont have a lack of experience handling a commercial air brake vehicle, it doesnt hurt to practice and pay some lessons or get your license before mta helps you. The bad habits are usually folks who works for other commercial company for years (which of course you deliver bad habit driving skills) even some Bus operator in mta drives illegally when they behind the mta buses.Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I couldn't agree with you more. It may take longer than expected to hear from (MTA). The best way to get you license beforehand, is to let a school bus company train you. Nothing to lose. Like Mark said, sometimes you lose a lot being cheap.

I don't feel it's being cheap not getting cdl before training a lot of driving schools ask 200 - 600 dollars a lesson that's only a hour at best not to mention the fee to rent the bus for the road test most ppl just don't have that type of cash to put down just like that I didn't when I got into nj transit now I'm a commercial driver 5 years now

Sent from my finger tips via tapatalk

Experience is always a good thing in any occupation. Every major transportation company provide training according to there policy and state laws. Not everyone will learn to operate a transit vehicle in the time alloted by MTA and according to there standard, however with that being said its not impossible its just my strong opinion that getting train before TA is a plus.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk