B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many people took the 4600 exam

If I had to take an educated guess, I would say at least 8,000 people took the exam; however no more than 12,000 people took it. The reason why is because there were a total of eight sessions for this exam - 4 at James Madison High School (Sat AM, Sat PM, Sun AM, Sun PM) and another 4 at Brooklyn Technical High School (Sat AM, Sat PM, Sun AM, Sun PM). When I went to take the exam, the Exams Unit of NYC Transit was only using one or two floors of the building, which in my opinion can only hold either 1,000 or 1,500 people, depending on the amount of classrooms.

Also, in my opinion, what helped with 4600 compared to 2613 was that not only was the exam shorter (60 questions compared to 80), but I felt the exam was easier as well.

The next question is to find out how many people actually passed the civil service exam and the BOSS exam. This will determine how many names will be on the list in which we will be called from to eventually report for employment processing.

"Latest Update as of 9/9/2014"

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/4600.htm

SELECTION PROCESS: (UPDATED) 

You were given a multiple-choice test. Your score on this test will be used to determine your place on an eligible list. You must achieve a score of at least 70 to pass this test. Most candidates who passed the multiple-choice test will be scheduled to take the Bus Operator Selection Survey on 
October 4, 2014. Admission letters will be mailed in September 2014.

--->Those candidates who passed the multiple-choice test but were not scheduled for October 4 will be re-scheduled in the future.  <----

Just a thought not a fact --> Or its possible they might go by people's exam score order. like for example the group that scored 100 - 90 or w/e takes the BOSS exam first and  continue a next batch of scores group. OR by Last name or last 4 digits of social. We will find out soon when some of us post that they received a letter to take the BOSS exam.

They probably just don't have enough buildings to do the Boss exam for everyone that took the 4600 all in one day... You also got to understand that there were different times and dates for the 4600 exam... At that point I don't think it's what who scored what it's about getting the facilities and not having the man power to have everyone to take the boss exam all in one day.. A lot of people took the 4600 exam

Or like with 2613 some people did not do BOSS until they went for there first drug test they were called back like a week later to do it and pray and hope that situation dont happen to you especially if you get a low list number because it delays you and also if you dont pass it at that time then you are out. So you dont have to take BOSS before you get your score or list number.

Or like with 2613 some people did not do BOSS until they went for there first drug test they were called back like a week later to do it and pray and hope that situation dont happen to you especially if you get a low list number because it delays you and also if you dont pass it at that time then you are out. So you dont have to take BOSS before you get your score or list number.

everyone took the Boss exam that passed the 2613 exam took it with everyone else... They established the list with everyone who took both the 2613 and boss exam no matter who scored what.. You can call up human resources yourself and ask for yourself if you don't believe me

NewMatt it did not go exactly like that I personally have a friend we were both in the low 900 I did not get a letter for the BOSS that friend did not either I heard from other friends at the time about they getting letters for the boss. I went to 180 Livingston the guy at the window checked the computer and saw I was scheduled to take it so he gave me an entrance letter. On the Saturday of the boss I showed up to James Madison school only for them to tell me my name was not on the list they had for the boss so luckly for me it was the same man that gave me the letter that was checking the names on the list and saw mine was not there so he called his supervisor and explained it to him and they said the computer systems were not in sync and they would look me up by my applicant ID and allowed me to take the boss. My friend that I mentioned earlier never even got a letter his score was lower than mine and we began processing the same week. He was called the next week to take the boss and he was delayed and just got in about 2 months ago. So all im saying is that it dont always go how it suppose to so if you find you are waiting too long it does not hurt to visit Livingston once in a while once they start processing from 4600. Sorry for the long post.

just recieved an email saying my letter for the boss exam has been mailed out its going to be oct 4th at james madison high school anyone else recieve an email yet saying there letter has been sent out 

Hey Busman,

I also just got my email and phone call to take the BOSS on Oct 4th at James Madison. I am happy to see the ball is rolling a little  bit with this exam. I know it takes time but just looking forward to seeing my list #.

Anyone have any advice on taking the BOSS exam, this something that could be studied? or is this like a test you would get after a job application to a retail job. 

Thanks Duece!

As for as pre-trip, etc. the instructor I have right now has not mentioned under the hood inspection. He assures me everything he is showing me will be on the test and no surprises, etc.

I have done, as the others mentioned, inside & outside vehicle, but have not opened the hood.

I also thought there would be a post-trip inspection, but he said no.

Hey Hockey,

I was concerned about this also and I talked to my instructor and he also said nothing under the hood just everything he was showing me will be on the test. 

I see that your from Staten Island any chance your using AAAA for your training and is your instructor Jack? 

Hey Hockey,

I was concerned about this also and I talked to my instructor and he also said nothing under the hood just everything he was showing me will be on the test. 

I see that your from Staten Island any chance your using AAAA for your training and is your instructor Jack? Do you already have your CDL?

Just got a call from the mta automated Line. Seems that I got a reminder that the notice will be sent out and should be received by 22nd of September. No letter in the mail yet. If I was not to receive a letter to go down and get a copy letter.

Here is the kick, i just broke my ankle at work, hard for me to move around. Hopefully they can help with accommodating me with stair issues.

Anyone else got the call..