B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Young NYC SO WE MAY GET THE LETTER AFTER 11/15/14 BECAUSE U SAID THAT EXAM 3101 IS GOOD FOR 1 YEAR.

Young NYC SO WE MAY GET THE LETTER AFTER 11/15/14 BECAUSE U SAID THAT EXAM 3101 IS GOOD FOR 1 YEAR.

First of all, please do not type in CAPITAL letters - it seems like you are screaming at someone, and if that someone reads this message the wrong way - it's not good (trust me).

Second, according to http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/3101.htm, the BOSS for MaBSTOA B/O Exam #3101 was administered on November 16th. Therefore, I would not be 100% surprised if we are going to take it on November 15th, since they are not going to grade or mark the exam until November 17th, that Monday (the earliest), plus it takes time to match up all of the people who passed/failed the exam to the list of people who applied for the exam.

November 15th/16th/17th is only a few days apart. If we are called, I'm not 100% surprised.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

does anyone know how many questions in the boss exam and how much time we have? thanks.

From what I recall when I took it last in November of 2013, there were 77 questions and we had 2 & 1/2 hours, which sounds correct if you spend 2 minutes on a question...

Hope this helps.

thank you, young.

You're welcome.

is there a number to contact the MTA on whether or not it's possible to take a make up BOSS?

I don't think the HR Dept. can help you, since this issue is with the Examinations Department. If I was you, you can go to 180 Livingston Street and talk to someone in the lobby between 9 AM and 3 PM, or, as they suggest at http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/3101.htm, send them an e-mail and see what happens.

I read on the bus operator app for the 4600 exam that a requirement of hiring is that you either have a class b cdl or a motor vehicle license valid in the state of ny for 3 year and your cdl permit...does my license have to be a Nys license for 3 years? I have a Florida license for over 3 years and I'm converting it over bcuz I moved back to ny...does that disqualify me? I know you don't have to be a resident so shouldn't that mean that I don't need a nys license? I'm scheduled to take the BOSS October 4th and got 96.6 on my test so hopeful the boss goes well but just wanted to know if that's an issue? Appreciate any response thanks I'm new here aswell obviously lol

I read on the bus operator app for the 4600 exam that a requirement of hiring is that you either have a class b cdl or a motor vehicle license valid in the state of ny for 3 year and your cdl permit...does my license have to be a Nys license for 3 years? I have a Florida license for over 3 years and I'm converting it over bcuz I moved back to ny...does that disqualify me? I know you don't have to be a resident so shouldn't that mean that I don't need a nys license? I'm scheduled to take the BOSS October 4th and got 96.6 on my test so hopeful the boss goes well but just wanted to know if that's an issue? Appreciate any response thanks I'm new here aswell obviously lol

No u don't need the ny license for 3 yrs. u gonna have to bring a drivers abstract so it could show how long u had a licnese.

@Dre87 Nvm the last post I googled it...so I guess I would get that from Florida DMV then correct? Or NY?

You would get it from the state that issued your license or CDL to begin with, which is Florida. Just like with the NYS DMV, you can probably get this online.

If and when you do get this document, make sure you keep several copies! The reason why is because, from experience, not only will 180 Livingston Street need a copy, but the folks @ Zerega Avenue will also need a copy for your file, in addition to other paperwork.

Hey guys!

I am taking the BOSS exam on Oct 4th,  is there anywhere I can go to get sample questions just so I can get a decent grasp of whats to come? I understand it will be more of a psychological exam with questions given multiple times but worded differently.

Can anyone suggest a good place to practice?

Thanks.

You would get it from the state that issued your license or CDL to begin with, which is Florida. Just like with the NYS DMV, you can probably get this online.

If and when you do get this document, make sure you keep several copies! The reason why is because, from experience, not only will 180 Livingston Street need a copy, but the folks @ Zerega Avenue will also need a copy for your file, in addition to other paperwork.

Thank you for telling me that because I would have ordered one...do they want originals tho? And also I don't have my cdl yet or permit bcuz I can't get it in Florida at this point bcuz I am here...I'm assuming I still need the abstract from Florida bcuz that was the original state I got my license from even tho my license will be a NYS license ina few weeks...and also do u kno if when switching my license if I have to take a test being that NY driving rules are somewhat different ?

Thank you for telling me that because I would have ordered one...do they want originals tho? And also I don't have my cdl yet or permit bcuz I can't get it in Florida at this point bcuz I am here...I'm assuming I still need the abstract from Florida bcuz that was the original state I got my license from even tho my license will be a NYS license ina few weeks...and also do u kno if when switching my license if I have to take a test being that NY driving rules are somewhat different ?

First of all, you're welcome.

Second, since the originals do cost $$, my educated guess is that when you are at 180 Livingston Street, when they call you up, they will ask for your abstract, and then you can kindly ask them to run off a copy so you can keep the original. I highly doubt they would want to keep the original. Now, when you go to 750 Zerega Avenue for Orientation, then I would expect them asking for an original copy for your file, in addition to other paperwork.

If you switch your license from one state to another, as long as it's the same class you do not have to test any tests again (except for maybe a b/s eye chart test). Example: If you have a regular Class D License from Florida, you will be able to get a regular Class D License in N.Y.S. If you got a CDL Class B License in Florida, you will be able to get a CDL Class B License in N.Y.S.

Any further questions about this? If so, I would highly recommend to check out http://dmv.ny.gov/

First of all, you're welcome.

Second, since the originals do cost $$, my educated guess is that when you are at 180 Livingston Street, when they call you up, they will ask for your abstract, and then you can kindly ask them to run off a copy so you can keep the original. I highly doubt they would want to keep the original. Now, when you go to 750 Zerega Avenue for Orientation, then I would expect them asking for an original copy for your file, in addition to other paperwork.

If you switch your license from one state to another, as long as it's the same class you do not have to test any tests again (except for maybe a b/s eye chart test). Example: If you have a regular Class D License from Florida, you will be able to get a regular Class D License in N.Y.S. If you got a CDL Class B License in Florida, you will be able to get a CDL Class B License in N.Y.S.

Any further questions about this? If so, I would highly recommend to check out http://dmv.ny.gov/

I get it but my license is class E...do they have class e in NYS? Bcuz I don't remember seeing it in da license class e for ny but I guess I'll just figure it out when I turn it in or they will....and U go to zerega ave for training? And also typically how long do u guesstimate it to take to get called for drug test if u pass the BOSS? U get a letter first with ur results correct and how long after that would u say...I know u don't have concrete numbers but a ball park range? Or is it based on how well u passed with how soon they will call for that?

I get it but my license is class E...do they have class e in NYS? Bcuz I don't remember seeing it in da license class e for ny but I guess I'll just figure it out when I turn it in or they will....and U go to zerega ave for training? And also typically how long do u guesstimate it to take to get called for drug test if u pass the BOSS? U get a letter first with ur results correct and how long after that would u say...I know u don't have concrete numbers but a ball park range? Or is it based on how well u passed with how soon they will call for that?

Yes, they do have class E in NY State.

You do go to Zerega Avenue for Orientation. The actual training will take place at one of the Depots throughout the city.I took B/O Exam 2613, went to Zerega on 2/10/14 and I did not pass training, including Day 10. Therefore, I'm just relaying information to help other people, both in this topic and the B/O Exam 2613 topic as well.

As far as how long to get called, well, here is the story:

NYC Transit initially had a civil service exam for Bus Operators back in January of 2013. After the BOSS examination was given, which not a lot of people passed, NYC Transit realized that they did not have as many people as they needed on the list for B/O exam 2613, which only consisted of 3,617 names. If they call approximately 150 people a month to 180 Livingston Street, the list will be finished in 18 months. Now, 150 people may sound like a lot, however some people may no longer be interested, some have problems either with their license/permit, drug test and/or medical examination, etc. On average, from reading the B/O exam 2613 thread, an incoming class, which is every 2 weeks, contains about 50 people.

(This is the primary reason why B/O exam 4600 was given. Even the initial civil service examination was easier - 60 questions compared to 80 with the same amount of time - 3 hours if my memory is correct.)

So the 2613 list was published in late October of 2013, which contained 3,617 people. As of 9/27/14, from reading the B/O Exam 2613 thread, they are up to list # 21**, which is approximately 60% through the list. If you don't believe me, then go to http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-431, post # 4305. Therefore, if it took them 11 months to get 60% through the list, then it will definitely take them no longer than one [1] more calendar year to go through the remaining 40%. Therefore, if you pass the BOSS, I wouldn't be surprised if it is at least 4 to 6 more months before anyone from 4600 gets called, but no longer than a year. Again, it depends on how fast they move with the 2613 list. Just like with most other civil service examinations, the better you did on the Civil Service exam, the higher the score means the smaller the list # means you will be called first before someone else who did worse than you on the same Civil Service exam, who has a bigger list #.

As far as getting a letter, for B/O Exam 2613, I got a 87.50% score on that exam and my list # was 27* (aka between 270 and 280). The HR Department of NYC Transit decided that the first group of people to call was either up to list # 300 or 400, so I actually received instructions to report for employment processing first before I got the official results letter with the exam information (B/O Exam 2613), my score (87.50%) and my list # (which was 27*).

If I had gotten a lower list #, I would have gotten my official results letter first before receiving instructions to report for employment processing.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Yes, they do have class E in NY State.

You do go to Zerega Avenue for Orientation. The actual training will take place at one of the Depots throughout the city.I took B/O Exam 2613, went to Zerega on 2/10/14 and I did not pass training, including Day 10. Therefore, I'm just relaying information to help other people, both in this topic and the B/O Exam 2613 topic as well.

As far as how long to get called, well, here is the story:

NYC Transit initially had a civil service exam for Bus Operators back in January of 2013. After the BOSS examination was given, which not a lot of people passed, NYC Transit realized that they did not have as many people as they needed on the list for B/O exam 2613, which only consisted of 3,617 names. If they call approximately 150 people a month to 180 Livingston Street, the list will be finished in 18 months. Now, 150 people may sound like a lot, however some people may no longer be interested, some have problems either with their license/permit, drug test and/or medical examination, etc. On average, from reading the B/O exam 2613 thread, an incoming class, which is every 2 weeks, contains about 50 people.

(This is the primary reason why B/O exam 4600 was given. Even the initial civil service examination was easier - 60 questions compared to 80 with the same amount of time - 3 hours if my memory is correct.)

So the 2613 list was published in late October of 2013, which contained 3,617 people. As of 9/27/14, from reading the B/O Exam 2613 thread, they are up to list # 21**, which is approximately 60% through the list. If you don't believe me, then go to http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-431, post # 4305. Therefore, if it took them 11 months to get 60% through the list, then it will definitely take them no longer than one [1] more calendar year to go through the remaining 40%. Therefore, if you pass the BOSS, I wouldn't be surprised if it is at least 4 to 6 more months before anyone from 4600 gets called, but no longer than a year. Again, it depends on how fast they move with the 2613 list. Just like with most other civil service examinations, the better you did on the Civil Service exam, the higher the score means the smaller the list # means you will be called first before someone else who did worse than you on the same Civil Service exam, who has a bigger list #.

As far as getting a letter, for B/O Exam 2613, I got a 87.50% score on that exam and my list # was 27* (aka between 270 and 280). The HR Department of NYC Transit decided that the first group of people to call was either up to list # 300 or 400, so I actually received instructions to report for employment processing first before I got the official results letter with the exam information (B/O Exam 2613), my score (87.50%) and my list # (which was 27*).

If I had gotten a lower list #, I would have gotten my official results letter first before receiving instructions to report for employment processing.

Wow that was very enlightening...and u made it very clear to me...and sorry to hear u didn't pass da training. so that means u can't try again? What didn't u pass from da training? Or do u go the 10 days and then they tell u that u didn't make the cut? I read what the training is composed of and seems alittle scary but I guess I would just try and be positive bcuz I really want this career...being u know so much I would figure u would already be an employee...lol