B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After u passed your road test did u go back to dmv and pay a fee to change your licnese over?

Yeah, and got a receipt. I check last night  on the DMV website and type in my ID information and check for the mailing status. It stated that i should of gotten the license on the 14th of August. So I have to call them on Tuesday to report that I never received it. But I gotta better luck going to the DMV instead of calling.

Yeah, and got a receipt. I check last night  on the DMV website and type in my ID information and check for the mailing status. It stated that i should of gotten the license on the 14th of August. So I have to call them on Tuesday to report that I never received it. But I gotta better luck going to the DMV instead of calling.

Unless you try calling a NYS DMV location in Upstate New York...I'm usually pretty successful with getting through to one of those locations if I need information over the phone.

Unless you try calling a NYS DMV location in Upstate New York...I'm usually pretty successful with getting through to one of those locations if I need information over the phone.

I did that this morning. It was helpful instead of going to the DMV and wait for no reason. They're re-mailing it and should receive it by November 4th. 

Anyone taking the MaBSTOA Exam 4501 after taking the TA 4600 B.O.S.S. survey?

It is the same exam, and providing you passed, the exam results are good for one year, therefore if anyone took the BOSS for 4600, I don't think you'll be taking the MaBSTOA BOSS exam in November. Keep in mind also that NYC Transit has to pay rent to use these high schools, in addition to paying the proctors and other staff members, and they are only a certain number of seats available, therefore it would be foolish to administer the same exam twice to the same person within 2 months, right?

Any thoughts?

I did that this morning. It was helpful instead of going to the DMV and wait for no reason. They're re-mailing it and should receive it by November 4th. 

Great! I'm glad I was able to help.

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I've been following for a while- when do you guys think we will recieve our list numbers?

After every candidates that passed the written exam takes the BOSS for 4600. Keep in mind there's a heavy load of other candidates that did not take it on the 4th of October and they will be re-schedule at a later date. So it might be awhile especially since there's an hiring freeze at the moment and we still have Exam 2613 Applicants ahead of 4600. 

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I've been following for a while- when do you guys think we will recieve our list numbers?

Like Duece said, there is a temporary hiring freeze going on, therefore I don't think anyone from this list will receive their list numbers until this time next year.

honestly I've heard nothing of a hiring freeze from any bus drivers, or even the office that tells you the list numbers (347-643-8229) for test 2613 (they told me they were up to list # 1611) are we sure this information is accurate?

I do not believe so, and here's why:

First of all, if you do ask a current B/O of a hiring freeze, they are not going to know what you are talking about, especially if they have been on the job for more than one year, which means that they have been through the entire hiring and training process over a year ago. Therefore, they are not going to have any knowledge about the current list or hiring status.

Second, if the HR Office of MTA NYC Transit did tell you that they were up to list # 1611, then if you read the 2613 thread,how come someone with a list # if 21** just went in for the first drug test? (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-441, post # 4401).Therefore, maybe someone with a list # of 1611 got sent to Zerega recently, however how do you know based on that phone call if someone in the 1700's or the 1800's just completed medical and is waiting for a training class date?

Therefore, I believe this site is the best source of information, cause you have several people, which mean several individual sources sharing information compared to just "one" or "two" places giving out information.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Arite I'm just hoping it's not true lol... I like the speed they were going at with 2613!!!

lol....Its a freeze till the year is over.  Its General Pick Season for current Bus Operators on the job. A lot of Bus Operators will be going all over the place so that's one of the main reason why they would do a hiring freeze. You can't just keep hiring without knowing exactly how many more new Operators they need at which depot until the General Pick is all over. Current Bus Operators new Route line will start sometime during January. And @Young is right. This probably the only place you can find some type of sources regarding hiring and etc based on what some of us post. MTA HR won't tell you every detail beside whats your current status or where they are at the moment based on who was the last appointee number.  The Appointed number can be mix up since some people are place on medical hold or Put their list number on hold for other reasons. 

For the time being while we all wait, If you don't have your CDL permit or License, Try to work on that and drive safely without being ticketed for moving violations. Sooner or later our time will be up and we will be excited.

And @Young is right. This probably the only place you can find some type of sources regarding hiring and etc based on what some of us post. MTA HR won't tell you every detail beside whats your current status or where they are at the moment based on who was the last appointee number.  The Appointed number can be mix up since some people are place on medical hold or Put their list number on hold for other reasons. 

Even when I called DCAS lately, the information as of 10/12/14 for B/O exam 2613 is as follows:

Out of the 3,617 candidates...

...the last certified is 2310

...the last appointed is 1597

This information tells me that the list # of the last person they sent to Zerega was 1597. According to post #1401, if MTA HR told you that they are up to list #1611, then that sounds reasonable since the difference between these numbers is only 14. In addition, this information tells me that the list # of the last person they called for the first drug test is 2310 (or somewhere around there). Therefore, with the upcoming  temporary hiring freeze, I wouldn't be surprised if these numbers stay the same until January/February of 2015, since the HR and Medical Departments probably have 700 people to work with.

In addition, if you are anxious to do something, get familiar with post #3025 from the B/O exam 2613 thread (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-303). One of the things my instructor/Superintendent did was 'lend' us booklets which contain a lot of valuable information for training, including the pre-trip checklist for both the interior and exterior...hopefully this will help you folks.

Edited by +Young+
Updated Link...

Just got my CDL in the mail yesterday. Thanks for all those who wished me good luck & any advice. It was definitely helpful.

Like Duece said, get that CDL before if you can. Will save stress later on.

Same on the driving. As I posted a while back, got a ticket for a stop sign that I rolled thru at the bottom of the ramp to the Staten Island Ferry parking lot/pick-up area. It was a Sunday afternoon and not a pedestrian in site. I am always very aware of any police cars, but somehow missed this one. That ticket is 3 points. I hear over 4 points and you may not be hired (not sure how true it is or isn't).

I always drove on the faster side. Now I drive like an old lady. Have no choice. Happy to have my CDL in case I somehow commit a driving infraction (even being super careful, it can happen). Would have a better chance of being excused than if I didn't have one.

I'd try to make myself cry like a baby too LOL kiddingggg....hmmmm or am I?? :P

Is 98.33 a good score to get hired with. What %would be my list #

The passing score is a 70. So you way super high up there if that's the accurate score. If 2,000 candidates scored a 100 on the exam....They will be the first 2000 on the list. But in order to be considered on the eligible list. Its a must to pass the BOSS first.