B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

@Matt, nope. I only applied for 4600. I get pay for 3101, but was not able to make it that day to take the test. I really want to get on Staten Island down the road anyway, and if I recall correctly, exam 3101 was only for Bronx & Manhattan.

Yeah that is true but look at it as a stepping stone... At that point just to get your foot in the door and start putting the time in and then when the TA would have called you that you would just transfer over... Don't get me wrong you still have to do the whole process again with the TA but you would already have time vested with the Mta that you could of carried over... I see you passed your CDL road test as you said on the forum, congratulations... Do you know how many questions you got right and wrong on the proposed answer keys?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@newmatt I have my cdl b passenger endorsement. I've also taken and passed exam 3101 and since its been within a year I'm automatically put on exam 4105 exam listI also passed the 3600 exam with a 87

so your well ahead of the game man, good for you, I just don't understand how they could put out exam 4105 when they have the whole 3101 list they still have... Would anyone have any information about this?

Ok I can tell u why. I called the exam unit and I was told:"the BOSS exam is good for 1 yr. since I took and passed the Boss exam for exam 3101 which is the same exam given for 4105 November 16, 2013 the 4105 exam is scheduled to take place November 15,2014. Which makes me eligible within the guidelines of that 1 yr by 1 day. I will automatically be put on the list without having to take the test unless changes are made.

so your well ahead of the game man, good for you, I just don't understand how they could put out exam 4105 when they have the whole 3101 list they still have... Would anyone have any information about this?

Its possible the same reason that happen to 2613. Eligibility list for 3101 may not have been successful with an large amount of candidates. 

I can tell u why. I passed the 3101 which was taken November 16,2013. I'm scheduled to take the 4105 November 15,2014. The BOSS exam is good for 1 yr. I fall within the guidelines by 1 day. So I was told by the exam unit most likely I will automatically be put on the 4105 list without being scheduled to take the exam.

I already have my CDL B and passed exam 4600 with a 98.3333 (1 wrong). If and when I do get called what will the training be like since I have the CDL already and don't need the MTA TRAINING?????

Training is a must. You will have to attend a 7-10 Day on the road training with an Superintendent who will be your Instructor. You have to Qualify on day  7, 9 or 10 in order to have the job fully. In other words you have to perform all the task you have been thought and show the Superintendent you are capable to do the job. I hear some Superintendent starts to judge you on Day 5 and 6 to determine if you will be able to qualify on day 7. Driving is not the big deal for some people, But performing the task the way they want you to perform the job is the challenge. Only the best of the best will make it.

I also passed the written with one wrong so prob a 98.3 recurring. Question, I got a CDL A permit, on Friday I got a moving violation [improper Left Turn]. I believe it's 3 points? Couldn't find any definite information via google. Question is, is it truly 4 points or would those 3 points become and issue for me with regards to hiring? Should I fight the ticket or just pay it, would it make a difference on the driving record? Also, can I do a defensive driving course to reduce the points? I already did one in like August, (mandatory due to my job), however I never reported it personally to the DMV. Can I do another DD course to get the points dropped? Really don't want this one stupid ticket mess up my chances, 5 years driving never even got a parking ticket or any ticket driving related til last friday so I'm abit concerned. Thanks alot for all the helpful advice guys. Been greatly appreciated thru the written and the BOSS, you guys always been right on the button. Much thanks :D

@Matt, think I got 2 wrong (or 3 the most) on Exam 4600.

Question for anyone...I took the test for 4600. Didn't take the first exam for 3101. Just received a notification to take the BOSS for exam 4105 for Nov. 15th ....which I never even applied for! Got a high random number (in the 8000s).

Anyone have a clue what's up with this?

I was not able to take 3101 even though I paid. At the time I had something else going on and figured the hell with it cause it's only Bronx/Manhattan. Well, dumb move. Like someone pointed out (think it was Matt), who cares. I can always take the other one I applied for  when it comes up and I would have time in.

Anyone, someone please explain what's with the exam 4105 notice. I'm not complaining, I'm actually real happy have a 2nd option. Just real confused LOL :blink:

@Matt, think I got 2 wrong (or 3 the most) on Exam 4600.

Question for anyone...I took the test for 4600. Didn't take the first exam for 3101. Just received a notification to take the BOSS for exam 4105 for Nov. 15th ....which I never even applied for! Got a high random number (in the 8000s).

Anyone have a clue what's up with this?

I was not able to take 3101 even though I paid. At the time I had something else going on and figured the hell with it cause it's only Bronx/Manhattan. Well, dumb move. Like someone pointed out (think it was Matt), who cares. I can always take the other one I applied for  when it comes up and I would have time in.

Anyone, someone please explain what's with the exam 4105 notice. I'm not complaining, I'm actually real happy have a 2nd option. Just real confused LOL :blink:

My suggestion: send an email to examsunit@nyct.com. Hopefully they will clear things up for you...

Are there any extra credits given for this exam, i.e: veteran or resident?????

According to http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf, I don't think so. However, they might give out extra credits for a veteran providing you told them when you filled out the on-line application to begin with. If you have any questions, email examsunit@nyct.com for more information, they would be the best ones to help you.

Thanks. I did that n it turns out I did pay for the exam. So what I dont get is why I did not need to take the multiple choice for 4105. Is it because I passed 4600? Hmmmm...anyway, waiting for a reply from the exams unit.

any word from them about that?

any word from them about that?

Sup Matt! So, turns out there is no regular mutiple choice test (like exam 4600). Think  with OA, it's only the BOSS exam. That would explain it all. I also forgot I paid for the exam, which originally made it all the more confsuing why I received the notice lol :D

Hey everyone I been following this thread for some time now. I had a question does anybody know any good driving schools that will help you take the CDL class B road test? I like to stay in the Bronx if possible for my lessons. I just recently got my Class C license with pass. endorsement to work for Access- A-Ride. As time progress i want to take driving lessons and pass the CDL road test for the Class B on my own. I dont want to deal with the added pressure of taking it during the 7 or 10 day MTA training

By the way I took the 4600 test and according to the proposed answer key I got a 90% I also took the Boss exam in Oct which didn't take me long to finish.I just want to get everything squared away so when MTA establish the list and gets to my # that I am ready to go. Good luck everyone!!!

I'm from Staten Island and I'm probably going to do the CDL training in Queens or Brooklyn.

Reason being, I want somewhat of a "controlled" "shock value" of being in an unfamiliar vehicle and being on unfamiliar streets. If I did it on Staten Island, I could probably drive with my eyes closed  :ph34r: .

I can't wait till we hear something!

If you fail the boss exam does the mta notify you right away? Because i think i read somewhere that if you pass the boss they dont tell you nothing until the list is established but if you fail they send you a letter like 3 weeks after taking that exam saying you are no longer eligible for the position. Am i right?

If you fail the boss exam does the mta notify you right away? Because i think i read somewhere that if you pass the boss they dont tell you nothing until the list is established but if you fail they send you a letter like 3 weeks after taking that exam saying you are no longer eligible for the position. Am i right?

That's ocrrect....the first BOSS I took was for 2301, and I got a letter in the mail a couple of weeks later saying that I didn't make it, compared to waiting for the list to come out.