B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Quick questions and clarification:

There is an update on the MTA Website regarding the 4600 exam below:

BUS OPERATOR SELECTION SURVEY:
The multiple-choice test is scheduled to take place on December 14, 2013. This test date is subject to change. Please check back for an update in October 2013.

Source: http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/4600.htm (Sept 6, '13)

From my research on past posts; for NYCTA there are two exams before medical/drug "testing"; the multiple choice (knowledge-exam) and the BOSS (psychological). 

Questions: Will a knowledge exam be administered before the "BOSS" exam which appears to be given on December 14, 2013? or is the MTA website incorrectly calling the exam on December 14, 2013 a BOSS exam? Or was I mistaken and there aren't two separate exams?

Thanks.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick questions and clarification:

There is an update on the MTA Website regarding the 4600 exam below:

BUS OPERATOR SELECTION SURVEY:

The multiple-choice test is scheduled to take place on December 14, 2013. This test date is subject to change. Please check back for an update in October 2013.

Source: http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/4600.htm (Sept 6, '13)

From my research on past posts; for NYCTA there are two exams before medical/drug "testing"; the multiple choice (knowledge-exam) and the BOSS (psychological). 

Questions: Will a knowledge exam be administered before the "BOSS" exam which appears to be given on December 14, 2013? or is the MTA website incorrectly calling the exam on December 14, 2013 a BOSS exam? Or was I mistaken and there aren't two separate exams?

Thanks.

From past NYC Transit Bus Operator exams, my educated guess is that a knowledge exam will be administered before a "BOSS" exam. The reason why is because right above this, it says "You will be given a multiple-choice test. Your score on this test will be used to determine your place on an eligible list. You must achieve a score of at least 70 to pass this test."

Therefore, I believe the site is incorrect. If you look closely, there are several other errors with this page as well. Example: On the very top, in bold blue, it says "Exam No. 3101", meanwhile the first sentence below that says Bus Operator Exam No. 4600.

I, myself, am going to send an email to examsunit@nyct.com to clarify this issue. Perhaps some of us can also do that as well...

Okay, so I sent them an email and this is what they sent me:

Good afternoon Mr. **********,

Thank you for contacting the MTA NYCT Exams Unit.

We do apologize for any errors or confusion made on the website, it is being addressed. 

Under 2013 Examination Schedule, there are three [3] different exams bolded.  They are:

-          MTA Bus, Bus Operator – Exam number 2301

-          MaBSTOA, Bus Operator – Exam number 3101

-          NYCT, Bus Operator – Exam number 4600

The exam you applied for is NYCT - Bus Operator, Exam number 4600.  This exam will be administered on December 14, 2013 and will be a multiple choice test.  Your score on this test will be used to determine your place on an eligible list.  The Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) is the second part to this exam which would not occur until sometime next year.  

Even though this exam is scheduled for December 14th, you should check back the website around October 2013 in case, any changes were made with the test date.

Thank you

Exams Unit

Therefore, on December 14th, a Bus Operator Knowledge Exam will be given and the BOSS exam, which is the second step, will not be given until sometime in 2014.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Okay, so I sent them an email and this is what they sent me:

Good afternoon Mr. **********,

Thank you for contacting the MTA NYCT Exams Unit.

We do apologize for any errors or confusion made on the website, it is being addressed. 

Under 2013 Examination Schedule, there are three [3] different exams bolded.  They are:

-          MTA Bus, Bus Operator – Exam number 2301

-          MaBSTOA, Bus Operator – Exam number 3101

-          NYCT, Bus Operator – Exam number 4600

The exam you applied for is NYCT - Bus Operator, Exam number 4600.  This exam will be administered on December 14, 2013 and will be a multiple choice test.  Your score on this test will be used to determine your place on an eligible list.  The Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) is the second part to this exam which would not occur until sometime next year.  

Even though this exam is scheduled for December 14th, you should check back the website around October 2013 in case, any changes were made with the test date.

Thank you

Exams Unit

Therefore, on December 14th, a Bus Operator Knowledge Exam will be given and the BOSS exam, which is the second step, will not be given until sometime in 2014.

Many thanks! They cleaned the update up a little, but the BOSS heading remains. Gotta start hitting the books soon :)

So exam 4600 covers all five boroughs? I thought it was just Staten Island, Brooklyn, & Queens and 3101 was Bronx & Manhattan. Then again, I suppose if you had an Express bus run out of Staten Island, that would go into Manhattan. I guess that's why they would ask about Manhattan landmarks.

As for landmark questions, I'm surprised to hear this. I thought it was just a common sense exam (minus landmark questions, etc.) Just to clarify, for those who took it, they do supply you with a map which shows & names landmarks, streets, etc.? I'm no Manhattan buff, so landmark questions, based on Manhattan landmarks, without a map to reference would be a bit difficult for me.

As for landmark questions, I'm surprised to hear this. I thought it was just a common sense exam (minus landmark questions, etc.) Just to clarify, for those who took it, they do supply you with a map which shows & names landmarks, streets, etc.? I'm no Manhattan buff, so landmark questions, based on Manhattan landmarks, without a map to reference would be a bit difficult for me.

Not always...I remember for exam 2613, they asked what pair of bridges connect Queens and The Bronx, and if you did not know the difference between the Throgs Neck Bridge vs. the George Washington Bridge or the Cross Bay Bridge or the Marine Bridge, you would have had a very hard time...and this question was without a map.

Not always...I remember for exam 2613, they asked what pair of bridges connect Queens and The Bronx, and if you did not know the difference between the Throgs Neck Bridge vs. the George Washington Bridge or the Cross Bay Bridge or the Marine Bridge, you would have had a very hard time...and this question was without a map.

Interesting. Well, looks like I'll have to start studying landmarks. Thank you.

As far as I know, there will be a prep class on November 16th in Ozone Park, N.Y. Send an email to mtanycexamclass@gmail.com for more information.

As much as I want to be there, unfortunately I can't, since the BOSS exam for MaBSTOA falls on the same day.

When we took 2613 in jan they ask you questions like  which borough is prospect park is in?      which street is chelsea piers is closest to?  Things like that but I highly doudt it those questions be on this exam.

You doubt the exam # 4600 will have those specific questions on landmarks or landmarks in general?

They don't use a  paper map anymore for the test.  Since MTA took over the exams. It's much easy now.  They ask where this place is or park.

Easier in what way? So they do or don't supply you with a map (hard copy of online) to use?

I'm also wondering, if this exam is to drive in Staten Island, Brooklyn, or Manhattan only (if I'm correct on that), am I to assume there would not be any questions on Queens or Bronx landmarks? Or perhaps they would based on the possiblity of getting lost and crossing into another borough. Hhmmmm...

I'm also wondering, if this exam is to drive in Staten Island, Brooklyn, or Manhattan only (if I'm correct on that), am I to assume there would not be any questions on Queens or Bronx landmarks? Or perhaps they would based on the possiblity of getting lost and crossing into another borough. Hhmmmm...

This exam is for NYC Transit Bus Operator (http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf). That means that you are able to drive in any 5 boros. MaBSTOA are allowed to drive in Manhattan and The Bronx, since MaBSTOA stands for "Manhattan and the Bronx Surface..." 

Therefore, there will probably be questions on landmarks within the 5 boros of New York City.

This exam is for NYC Transit Bus Operator (http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf). That means that you are able to drive in any 5 boros. MaBSTOA are allowed to drive in Manhattan and The Bronx, since MaBSTOA stands for "Manhattan and the Bronx Surface..." 

Therefore, there will probably be questions on landmarks within the 5 boros of New York City.

Got it, thanks. Someone mentioned to me it's Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Manhattan only. Guess they were wrong. I'm just hoping I can transfer to Staten Island soon after being hired. I hear there's a shortage of Staten Islanders and they have guys from Brooklyn, etc. working there who would rather be in their own borough. Hopefully that's true.

As for landmarks, I'll study what I can. It's just so broad though.

Got it, thanks. Someone mentioned to me it's Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Manhattan only. Guess they were wrong. I'm just hoping I can transfer to Staten Island soon after being hired. I hear there's a shortage of Staten Islanders and they have guys from Brooklyn, etc. working there who would rather be in their own borough. Hopefully that's true.

I understand where you are coming from. With that said, type into Google "Bus Operator Exam, Learning Express." This is the book that I highly recommend, even though it does cost $200.00. What I did, to save money, was simply borrowed the book from Queens Library, made index cards with all of the information, and then returned it within the 3-weeks for someone else to use.

You doubt the exam # 4600 will have those specific questions on landmarks or landmarks in general?

Easier in what way? So they do or don't supply you with a map (hard copy of online) to use?

There will be questions on landmarks wthin the city but most likely not the same landmarks questions from exam 2613.

Picture this.

All 4 guys from my Staten Island AAR division who I knew were taken and saw them now driving SI buses.

e-mailed the study group that was mentioned for November, but no word back...  are they full?

I highly doubt that. Just give them some time to reply. I know the main person who runs the class is a Bus Operator, who normally works a split shift in Staten Island. However, since Metro-North needs buses to shuttle people to and from Orchard Beach, Rye Playland and Kensico Dam, I am assuming that he is trying to make as much overtime as possible, since I saw several NYC Transit Buses from various depots assisting in that operation.

Quick question anyone receive the time,date,and location for exam 4600 B/O yet? Thanks!

Not yet, as far as I know. According to the October 2013 employment news (http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf/employnws.pdf), all candidates should receive an admission letter in the mail by December 4th, so I am assuming that around Thanksgiving we should be getting them in the mail, which will contain all of the information we need.