B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys I had a more general question. Ok so when I started the mta process I was living in one place and I moved and my father recieved the letter for the BOSS but I also received a phone call for the BOSS. Now I went on the mta site and did an address change to my current address and sent it to the email provided me. Now the question is how do I know if it was updated to my new address? Is there somewhere I can call to see if the address they have is my current one?

You should reply to the e-mail you sent to them and ask if the update has been made. When I made an inquiry, they responded to me within 48 hours.

This would be your best bet.

Edited by 161passenger

Vin when is your boss exam what did you get on the test

I took the boss in December I believe it waS Saturday pm and I got 2 wrong so 96 or something like that

You should reply to the e-mail you sent to them and ask if the update has been made. When I made an inquiry, they responded to me within 48 hours.

This would be your best bet.

Ah ok I will try that....thank you!

Let's review the timeline and where we stand for Exam 4600 - New York City Transit Bus Operator:

We all took the written exam on the 14th or 15th of December 2013.

The proposed answer key was released to us on 23 January 2014; we self-calculated a preliminary score based on what we recorded in the Candidate's Personal Record of Answers.

On 04 October 2014 many of us took the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) . To my knowledge no grade is assigned and no-one I know has received their results if they passed, failed or if there were any affect on their candidate status.

Those who did not take the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) in October 2014 have not yet received notification on when they will be scheduled to do so.

Further, the final answer key and list establishment has not yet occurred. Once this occurs, we will have our list number and we'll know where we rank. Per the  (M)  (T)  (A) there is currently no expected release date.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My personal recommendations in the meanwhile:

As the hiring process for the active NYCT list from Exam 2613 which was released in November 2013 is at least 70% complete based on the information that other NYCTF members have shared, we can reasonably anticipate that the list will be exhausted and closed at some point this year. This will depend on how many candidates accept the position as well as the hiring needs of the Department of Buses.

I would advise those who calculated high scores:

- Plan on getting the Commercial Drivers License Permit in the near future.

- Identify and address any health issues.

- Gather necessary documents and list of employment.

- Above all, follow all traffic regulations religiously! :)

Good Luck!

Edited by 161passenger

Well written @161passenger.

I totally agree, to get the licenses situation together. I recommend getting the CDL instead just the permit While we're waiting. I'm currently working for A.A.R. (Access A Ride) And having the license came in handy during their 2 weeks on road training.

Edited by DueceDrives

I would advise those who calculated high scores:

- Plan on getting the Commercial Drivers License Permit in the near future.

- Identify and address any health issues.

- Gather necessary documents and list of employment.

- Above all, follow all traffic regulations religiously! :)

Also well said. From going through the B/O training program and failing, I would also recommend a few other things, which are:

-Look at post # 3025 of the B/O 2613 thread, which can be found at http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-303. While in training out of Flatbush Depot, the Superintendent I had lent us a booklet with valuable information for Student Bus Operators. This post contains the pages of this booklet with valuable information, plus the pre-trip checkoff list for the interior and exterior. There's an old saying: "My loss is your gain."

-Look at http://7online.com/archive/9512870/ several times - this will expose you to how intense the training is, and how you can make a mistake very easily if you are not paying attention.

-I understand that most of you are not willing to spend a lot of $$ to get the full CDL. If that's the case, and you've never driven a big commercial vehicle, like a bus or tractor-trailer on the city streets, I would recommend to take one or two private lessons just to "get your feet wet", so you'll be more prepared for training.

-As far as the health issues are concerned, some of us may have some issues that we do not have control over and can not fix very easily (e.g. diabetes). Therefore, when you go for medical, as long as you have a note from a doctor stating that your condition is under control, you should be fine.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to send me a private message (PM).

Edited by +Young+
Updated Link...

Thanks Young for the Eyewitness News link! as well as the handouts.  :)

Once the weather gets a little to my liking or if we hear anything on 4600, I'll make it a point to go for some lessons. Already I have been checking my mirrors more often and doing the push-pull method when making turns. It takes a little getting used to, but it's doable.

Thanks Young for the Eyewitness News link! as well as the handouts.   :)

Once the weather gets a little to my liking or if we hear anything on 4600, I'll make it a point to go for some lessons. Already I have been checking my mirrors more often and doing the push-pull method when making turns. It takes a little getting used to, but it's doable.

You're welcome!

And yes, from prior experience, it will definitely take some time "getting used to" driving the way the MTA wants you to. However, in the long run, it's worth it!

There's an interview for the bus operator position?

MCI, please see the below post from the Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions thread, post 615 by Rm3271. According to a number of previous posts, there is no structured interview, per se, just a quick overview of your paperwork and medical:

I went yesterday for the pre-interview... You can wear a pair of slacks and a button down shirt, I wore a tie but lots of dudes didn't... You are not actually being interview you're just filling out paperwork. You receive a number as your arrive just like in the DMV and called up to the counter according to your number to hand in your paperwork... So get there early! There's a lot of people but they're there for many different positions. Like it was mention in this forum earlier DO NOT MESS UP THE PAPERWORK! Listen carefully to the representives instructions... Cause you will be place at the back of the group if your paper is not correct. After your paperwork is ok and cleared by one of the representives you are sent to take the drug screening which is a pee test and you will blow to check for alcohol... You must blow 0.00. You are then done with the pre-interview. If your background and drug screening come back negative you will be called by medical to take a physical, make sure you give a phone number that you check everyday! They won't call twice. The physical is just a 19A physical.... The Rep. Said expect to be there all day maybe from 7.30 to 5pm only cause there's a lot of different people taking it not just us that pass exam 2613 but people that are getting hired for conductor, dispater, track worker etc... 19A physical includes: Eye Test, Blood Pressure Screening, Diabetes Test (blood sugar level) and yes TA gives an EKG test. Once you pass all that... Congratulations you're hired! Good luck fellas!

Also, can anyone please confirm whether or not their is a blood test, that is: Will the MTA doctors/medical team be taking a blood sample?

Thanks!

Edited by 161passenger

MCI, please see the below post from the Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions thread, post 615 by Rm3271. According to a number of previous posts, there is no structured interview, per se, just a quick overview of your paperwork and medical:

Also, can anyone please confirm whether or not their is a blood test, that is: Will the MTA doctors/medical team be taking a blood sample?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info but I am actually on exam number 4600, but it will be the same procedure I assume thanks away.

MCI, please see the below post from the Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions thread, post 615 by Rm3271. According to a number of previous posts, there is no structured interview, per se, just a quick overview of your paperwork and medical...

Thanks!

I will agree with Rm3271, they primarily look over your paperwork and ask you any questions, or disputes, about your previous employment. I don't think they look over your medical, since that's primarily done by MAC (Medical Assessment Center). If they found a problem, like they did with me, they would put you on medical hold until it's taken care of.

Can u explain what happens when your on medical hold?

When you are on medical hold you're given a note from the TA physician with what they found wrong with you (e.g. - my case was muscle spasm in my legs). As a result, you need a note from a doctor stating that the medical condition that they found wrong with you is under control.

Now my case with muscle spasm - I had to go see my primary care physician, followed by a neurologist, who wanted me to get some tests done. As a result, I had to go for three drug tests since the second one expired (they are only good for 30 days) before going to final processing.

Does anyone know how long before you report after you go through the whole hire procedure?  I would like to give 2 weeks notice to my job.

Well there are some variables involved in answering this question.

The first variable is how quickly the list moves. I read somewhere (not mentioning the specific source) that a bus depot may be closing in 2016 for renovations, similar to what happened at Mother Clare Hara Depot on the Upper E. Side in Manhattan. If this is the case, then there may be a temporary hiring freeze, which means you may have to wait a little longer.

The second variable is how successful you are with the Medical @ MAC (Medical Assessment Center). If the TA Physician finds no problems with you, then you'll be onto training sooner. If there is a problem, then you will have to wait until you get this cleared.

Long story short, from my experience with B/O exam 2613, my list number was 27*. I remember getting a notice in the mail, going down the following week for the drug test, going down roughly a month later for another drug test and then going down 2 weeks after that for the medical.

Therefore, IMHO, there is no concrete answer. Just plan on taking some days off on 'short-notice'. Once you pass medical and enter into final processing, then you'll have a better picture of what's going on.

Does anyone know how long before you report after you go through the whole hire procedure?  I would like to give 2 weeks notice to my job.

From what I am reading here and from what I have been told by others is that we will first be called for a drug test, then from 2-60 days (or possibly longer), the pre-hire paperwork, medical assessments and interview. Then thereafter, (it appears soon, within days after the pre-hire paperwork, medical and interview) that we'll be sent to Zerega Ave for training. Perhaps others can further refine that timeline. As YoungNYCSubwayFan said, there really is no concrete answer, however.

My advice would to use a personal day, if available for the first drug test and if you are solid with your finances, then, maybe consider giving notice.

I would recommend getting a thorough physical done as to possibly identify any issues.

Just as an observation: Per the 2613 Bus Operator thread in early to mid February, HR has reached 26XX candidates out of the 36XX total number of candidates, less than 1,000 prospective candidates remaining, not including anyone who reinstated themselves on the list.

Edited by 161passenger

Question, after becoming an operator, what can one move up to? test wise because job postings are usually a courtesy and they already have their candidate. Better worded, after becoming an operator, what are the potential career paths or where might one find such info? Also does anyone know if your time with another city agency transfers across to mta or no?

Question, after becoming an operator, what can one move up to? test wise because job postings are usually a courtesy and they already have their candidate. Better worded, after becoming an operator, what are the potential career paths or where might one find such info? Also does anyone know if your time with another city agency transfers across to mta or no?

From what I learned, time with another city agency (e.g. Sanitation, NYPD, etc) will not transfer across to MTA, however this time will be counted for when you receive your NYCERS pension.

I would first worry about becoming an operator. However, to answer your question, I know you can take a promotional exam to Train Operator or become a Superintendent for the Dept. of Buses. I'm unsure of any other positions that might be available.