B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any word on when they will start calling from the 4600 exam.

Well, according to post # 4851 of the B/O 2613 thread (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-486), they are up to list # 3188. Therefore, out of 3,617 eligible candidates, they only have about 400 people to go, which is not a lot, since some don't pass the drug and/or medical examinations even before making it to Zerega.

Now you also need to keep in mind the hiring needs. If the majority of the Depots are full with Bus Operators, they may not release the list for a couple of months, since it is only valid for four [4] years.

Therefore, the 'word', in my opinion, is 'soon' since they have about 400 more people to process with the B/O exam 2613 list. You may be wondering "how soon" the list will be produced. One month? Three months? Six months? Only one can take an educated guess. But, again, I think it is 'soon'.

Well, according to post # 4851 of the B/O 2613 thread (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-486), they are up to list # 3188. Therefore, out of 3,617 eligible candidates, they only have about 400 people to go, which is not a lot, since some don't pass the drug and/or medical examinations even before making it to Zerega.

Now you also need to keep in mind the hiring needs. If the majority of the Depots are full with Bus Operators, they may not release the list for a couple of months, since it is only valid for four [4] years.

Therefore, the 'word', in my opinion, is 'soon' since they have about 400 more people to process with the B/O exam 2613 list. You may be wondering "how soon" the list will be produced. One month? Three months? Six months? Only one can take an educated guess. But, again, I think it is 'soon'.

The member, riello, with list number 318X has not completed a drug test yet, so they're not quite there at the moment. It could be a safe bet that they aren't in (or have just entered) the 3000's. The 2613 forum has been very quiet except for those who reinstated. But they are definitely less than 1000 candidates away from completion. I would recommend those who self-scored 100 or got one wrong on the exam to think about getting their CDL permits done. 

Edited by 161passenger

Well as of March 1st they reached 2887 of 3600+

I have a feeling they are catching up with the folks who reinstated their names judging by the activity in the 2613 thread OR the hiring needs of the Department of Buses has slowed. We'll know if someone posts to the thread or the April DCAS update.

Does anyone know if the medical exam inlcudes a color blind test and if a person is colorblind, will they be medically disqualified?

According to Gucio84, in Thread: Bus Operator (OA) Exam No. 3101 is out here is the process for the vision portion of the medical exam: 

They telling u to look into that eye testing machine. Its not like test they do at dmv that i have small and big letters on big paper. Here u see only o and they asking u to read from left to right and tell them in what direction o is open ie. c u will say right. But that open space is much smaller. The o have openning on left right down and up. It show u lines witj numbers from 1 to 10. line number 5 is cut off. if u can not read line 5 u done. Also they diaplay u only eight eye then left and then both. Later they show u bunch of different color dots and asking u what number u can see.

We cannot answer definitively if it is an automatic disqualifier, this will be ultimately determined by the TA's physicians, but it does not look good. See:

See Thread: Color blind MTA bus driver fights to get back behind wheel  and [link to www.nydailynews.com] .

Edited by 161passenger

I worked for Mabstoa back in early 2000s and resigned for personal reasons.  I'm hoping the color blindness test won't be an issue for me since I am on the 4600 list.  When I went for the medical I failed the test and had to go to a doctor to sign me off as fit to drive with CDL.  When I went back to the medical department they had me retake the test, of course same results, and then brought me to a seperate room with a traffic light.  They asked me what colors each were and I was then passed as fit to drive.

Funny you asked.  After failing the first test and then having them bring me to the traffic light, I was thinking the same thing.  So I botched it the first time due to nerves.  LOL.  Got it right the second time.  I can distinguish between the red/yellow and green light with no problem.   It's the red and yellow I have problems with.  Obviously reds and greens are a problem during the Ishihara test.  They lights were in the normal order when I took the test..

lol oh ok. I can see colors its just that certain shades and material appear different to me so sometimes ill mix red with brown and yellow with orange or purple with blue but traffic lights i can see clearly. The Ishihara test I always get the first on right which is 12 but the rest....forget about it, its just a bunch of mixed colors to me, I see no numbers hidden in there.

Has anyone called 212-669-1357 (DCAS exams info) and tried putting in your ss# and the exam #4600 if you took it? I did and it says there is no record of my ss# with the exam. I ask because when I was talking to someone at MTA before I got called for 3101, I mentioned 4600, and they said they didn't see anything for me. Trying to figure out if they lost my exam or because nothing has been established, it's showing nothing. May transfer to TA in the future to get to Staten Island, so just wondering what's up. Thanks.

Has anyone called 212-669-1357 (DCAS exams info) and tried putting in your ss# and the exam #4600 if you took it? I did and it says there is no record of my ss# with the exam. I ask because when I was talking to someone at MTA before I got called for 3101, I mentioned 4600, and they said they didn't see anything for me. Trying to figure out if they lost my exam or because nothing has been established, it's showing nothing. May transfer to TA in the future to get to Staten Island, so just wondering what's up. Thanks.

DCAS does not administer (MTA) tests anymore. You to call (MTA) directly.

Edited by MasterKhem

The reason why the recording says that "there is no record of my ss# with the exam" is because the list has not been produced yet. While waiting for the Track Worker list to be published, I got the same recording. You can call the HR Dept. (347-643-8229, 8230, 8231, 8232) and they will probably say that the list has not been produced yet. Either way, you're going to be unsuccessful as far as obtaining a list number. If you want to confirm that you took exam 4600 and you are on the list, you have to call the examinations department or go to the MTA Exam Information Center.

Now to make this clear, B/O Exams 2613 and 4600 are civil service examinations. That means that you take a test and your score on the test "will be used to determine your place on an eligible list" (http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf). B/O Exam 3101, for MaBSTOA is NOT a civil service examination. Instead, the selection process of that Notice of Examination (http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/3101.pdf) talks about applicants being given a random list number and NOT taking a test to determine how soon you will be called. This is why DCAS does not have any information for the 3101 exam, since that is not a civil service examination.

Also, my apologies about post #1569, I should have done more research before replying. Again, my apologies.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Ok, I called on Friday and yes, I am on the list for 4600 which has not been established yet. Happy to be not too far from me (Staten Island) in Brooklyn but ultimately want to come to Staten Island of course.

Just be patient....

Also, my apologies about post #1569, I should have done more research before replying. Again, my apologies.

No worries Young. I'm watching both 3101 & 2613 very closely.

What I think has everyone, including myself a bit anxious is that HR had said that  "... per the Notice of Examination, this may be up to nine months from when you took the test". Personally, whether my list number is 425, 1975 or 5840 having that number would provide some comfort.

Anyways, using the time to my advantage, I have received my CDL permit, have all motor vehicle/ traffic court records ready, lists of employment and working on some preventative health care (mainly diet). Hopefully, I can squeeze in a few CDL lessons soon. 

Edited by 161passenger

@161passenger, I think it's a great idea to go for your cdl license. That's what I did. Just one less thing to worry about during the whole process.

I've read how some believe they go harder on you if you have your cdl license, as opposed to just your permit. I think that's not true at all.

The number one factor will be who you get as a superintendent. I knew this going in and I exprienced it personally and the same for others who I ran into from orientation afterwards. I'd use the analogy of college professors: Some are firm yet fair, some are easy breezy, and some are impossible to please. Some will give a B to someone who has done little to nothing, some will give a B to someone who has busted their butt and done well.

@161passenger, I think it's a great idea to go for your cdl license. That's what I did. Just one less thing to worry about during the whole process.

If you can afford it, I would also recommend this. Depending on your situation, there are also job opportunities if you do obtain your CDL while waiting for the TA to call you.

... I knew this going in and I experienced it personally and the same for others who I ran into from orientation afterwards. I'd use the analogy of college professors: Some are firm yet fair, some are easy breezy, and some are impossible to please. Some will give a B to someone who has done little to nothing, some will give a B to someone who has busted their butt and done well.

Not only do I have a CDL, but I also have an undergraduate and graduate degree and I can agree 100%! It all depends on the Superintendent, Instructor, or Professor you have from the start.