B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Thanks YoungNYCSubwayFan and hockeyplayer9 for the advice!

I want to at a minimum go for a few lessons just to see how I handle a large vehicle. From what I have been reading, most NYCTF B/O forumers have commented on making the transition from the driver's seat behind the front axle to one being forward the front axle as something that one had to get used to. Since most driving schools do not have coach buses to train on, I might try either a low cab-forward box or a recreational vehicle.

As for interpersonal issues, I will do my part, remain humble and do the "know my role" but remain respectful and fair. For self-preservation purposes, I'm going to approach it as I do with nearly everything "if it is meant to be, it will be", then move on whatever the outcome.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well from Days 1 to 7 I had a "Scumbag" Superintendent/Instructor out of the Flatbush Depot (whose full name is Nelson Hernandez, very stocky/overweight). Not only did he not wear his seat belt, but he also ran a red light as well! I did write a very nasty letter to Zerega shortly afterwards saying that they were going to take appropriate action. Let's just say that I'll believe it when I see it.

Day 9 I almost hit a person who was an idiot who walked right in front of the bus while servicing a bus stop.

I'm not going to even talk about Day 10, since the "scumbag" Superintendent/Instructor was one of them, in addition to a nasty African-American Superintendent who was from the MTA Bus Company, who approached me in the cafeteria @ 8:30 AM asking me if I was ready to go, when the Day 8 & 9 Superintendent said 9 AM.

And most of these Superintendents get paid at least $90,000/year and they treat their students like s**t? Please...

Are you sure it is a good idea to call your superior names in open public forum ? You do know that if this ends up on the desk of that supervisor you may have lots of trouble getting a job in this company in the future ... Their word is the last word and it is not something you can argue with ( it is sad, but it is truth ).

Mr. Hernandez was my first instructor in MTA and even though he can be a pain in the butt, he is tough and fair. He did tough us a lot with in the first 3 days ( then they swapped him and the lessons became too simple and noneducational )

He did not wear seatbelt ? He run a red light? SO F-ing WHAT !!! He passed his probation, YOU DIDNT ! So in the future, worry about YOU until you pass your probation and stop telling on your co-workers.

and regarding Day 9 ... That was whos mistake ? Supervisors ? or yours ? We deal with Idiots and dumb asses running across the street everyday , many times through out the day. We are tough to ignore them and let them pass.

Sorry dude, i am no trying to bust your balls, but this is an open forum, and you must watch what you are saying,  MTA does read this forum.

Are you sure it is a good idea to call your superior names in open public forum ? You do know that if this ends up on the desk of that supervisor you may have lots of trouble getting a job in this company in the future ... Their word is the last word and it is not something you can argue with ( it is sad, but it is truth ).

Mr. Hernandez was my first instructor in MTA and even though he can be a pain in the butt, he is tough and fair. He did tough us a lot with in the first 3 days ( then they swapped him and the lessons became too simple and noneducational )

He did not wear seatbelt ? He run a red light? SO F-ing WHAT !!! He passed his probation, YOU DIDNT ! So in the future, worry about YOU until you pass your probation and stop telling on your co-workers.

and regarding Day 9 ... That was whos mistake ? Supervisors ? or yours ? We deal with Idiots and dumb asses running across the street everyday , many times through out the day. We are tough to ignore them and let them pass.

Sorry dude, i am no trying to bust your balls, but this is an open forum, and you must watch what you are saying,  MTA does read this forum.

I hear ya...like I said, I did write a letter to several people at the MTA, including 2 Broadway and Zerega so they know about this...trust me...

Like 'HockeyPlayer9' said in post # 1588...the #1 will factor will be who you get as a Superintendent. The Superintendent I had for Days 8 and 9 (not mentioning where) was very professional and I liked him/her a lot...if I had this Superintendent for the initial 7 days, this problem would have been avoided to begin with...

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Question:

I have prior traffic tickets from New Jersey for incidents that occurred over 5 years ago but within ten, I want to get the dispositions at the courthouse. However, does HR require these documents to be "certified" or are plain copies without the stamps acceptable? Certified copies are $10-15 a piece versus 50 cents per page for the disposition, so that could become "expensive".

Question:

Do they want dispositions of parking tickets? I have a few from NYC. I also have one in New Jersey they are processed through the municipal court and everything is paid. I also have a parking ticket in Canada which was thrown out. 

Thanks!

Edited by 161passenger

Omg how long are they going to take to schedule BOSS for the rest of the candidates? We want get moving geeze

Most agreed teegrid67. I had posted in the 2613 thread since it got real quiet over there to see where everyone was at (specifically those after 2800->3600's and nobody has heard anything from HR. I think we'll hear something soon, it depends on those who reinstate as well as those at the end who are interested or not in the position. Personally, i'm terrified of the BOSS exam results, its something like that gets me, though I am confident in nearly all my responses - one answer seems to bother me (and I worry about the existence of "knock-out" questions).

I also theorize that since BOSS is a subscription based examination, meaning that the MTA has to pay a private company for each candidate who takes the exam, they could have halved the candidates who took the BOSS exam for accounting and bookkeeping purposes. Essentially, the HR department was looking to come at budget or under budget for their fiscal year, which ended March 31, 2015 and begins April 1. So if this is true, then the remaining candidates will get scheduled soon.

Below are some insights from SubwayGuy a NYCT Train Operator regarding retirements and staffing changes from [Thread: Train Operator Exam 8098 DCAS notice of result letter arrived] on Post# 4633, I encourage everyone to read the preceding posts in that conversation for it's full context.

No. [ Ed. 161passenger - please see thread for full context]

But many retirements tend to take place around that time [ Ed. 161passenger - January/May] frame because in May is when annual allotments of sick balances come in, so people who are eligible for sick leave payout can retire in May and add to their terminal leave pay (or use the rest of their sick time if trying to zero their balance). In December/January is when vacation accruals from the previous year come in, so a lot of retirees will pick the first 5 weeks of the New Year as vacation, retire, and not come back from their vacation. By doing it this way, their last day of service is the end of their vacation, but their last actual day of work is much sooner. And by doing this at the beginning of the year (as opposed to the end), they avoid having to work most of the year without using their vacation, instead taking it immediately.

Other retirements happen throughout the year...as well as promotions, demotions, people resigning, etc. so staffing is a year round issue. Retirements do tend to "bunch" around those times, and they are aware of it.

Just some advice:

- If you have resolved court issues (criminal/traffic) in New Jersey, it is taking me about a week to get the certified copies from the municipal courts through the mail. 

- I am starting CDL training soon and was informed that the earliest CDL road tests on Staten Island are being held in June, so if anyone is going that route, my advice is to start soon.

- An A3 restriction (municipal operation) and medical certification exempt is OK for lessons, just check with the provider.

Question:

When you get the CDL license is it a separate license or document? OR does it include general D + CDL B P (airbrakes). OR by holding a CDL license, is it assumed you can drive regular passenger autos in addition to a bus (or an vehicle in the CDL class)? I keep forgetting to ask. - Thanks!

Edited by 161passenger

Most agreed teegrid67. I had posted in the 2613 thread since it got real quiet over there to see where everyone was at (specifically those after 2800->3600's and nobody has heard anything from HR. I think we'll hear something soon, it depends on those who reinstate as well as those at the end who are interested or not in the position.

Below are some insights from SubwayGuy a NYCT Train Operator regarding retirements and staffing changes from [Thread: Train Operator Exam 8098 DCAS notice of result letter arrived] on Post# 4633, I encourage you to read the preceding posts in that conversation.

Just some advice:

- If you have resolved court issues (criminal/traffic) in New Jersey, it is taking me about a week to get the certified copies from the municipal courts through the mail. 

- I am starting CDL training soon and was informed that the earliest CDL road tests on Staten Island are being held in June, so if anyone is going that route, my advice is to start soon.

- An A3 restriction (municipal operation) and medical certification exempt is OK for lessons, just check with the provider.

Question:

When you get the CDL license is it a separate license or document? OR does it include general D + CDL B P (airbrakes). OR by holding a CDL license, is it assumed you can drive regular passenger autos in addition to a bus (or an vehicle in the CDL class)? I keep forgetting to ask. - Thanks!

When you pass the road test, you will be given a receipt from the examiner to show dmv. At Dmv, you have to submit that receipt and your medical form that has to be filled out by a certified DOT phyician or etc. Once you submit everything they need, you will pay a fee To get a new Driver License ID. A new photo will also be taking.

You will get a temporary paper CDL document until they mail you a fresh Driver license that says commercial and the class you're certified to operate.

When you pass the road test, you will be given a receipt from the examiner to show dmv. At Dmv, you have to submit that receipt and your medical form that has to be filled out by a certified DOT phyician or etc. Once you submit everything they need, you will pay a fee To get a new Driver License ID. A new photo will also be taking.

You will get a temporary paper CDL document until they mail you a fresh Driver license that says commercial and the class you're certified to operate.

Thanks. I'm still not clear. Does this mean that document will include CDL B + D ? or do I have to maintain two documents? Sorry if my question was unclear. 

Thanks. I'm still not clear. Does this mean that document will include CDL B + D ? or do I have to maintain two documents? Sorry if my question was unclear.

You will still have the other class d license, but your nee Driver license will say class B and P endorsement. In the DMV system or when a cop pulls your ID number, it will show commercial class B not D.

Are you sure about the new photo? That wasn't the case with me...

Your CDL Class B will suffice. Nine months after I got my CDL, I got into a no-fault accident with a passenger car, I gave the officer my Class A CDL (since I took the road test in a tractor trailer), along with the registration and insurance card. I did not, nor did the officer ask for my medical certificate since this was in a passenger car and not a commercial vehicle.

PM (private message) me if you're still confused.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

For those who have not yet taken the BOSS exam.

320px-Wikinews_Breaking_News.png

NYC Transit Bus Operator, Exam No. 4600 - BOSS (NEW)

Candidates who were not originally scheduled to take the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) for this exam in October 2014 will be scheduled to take it on May 9, 2015. Such candidates should receive their admission letter by April 30, 2015. If you do not receive an admission letter by May 5, 2015, you must come to the MTA Exam Information Center located in the Lobby of 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 between the hours of 9 AM – 3 PM, Mondays through Fridays.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/exams_updates.htm

Good Luck!

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikinews_Breaking_News.png

Edited by 161passenger

I'm guessing that we may see a list in late May or even June! However, candidates may be get called in July.

Keep in mind that there are less than 800 candidates, not including those who have not reinstated their names on 2613 list. However, of those 800 interested or eligible for appointment to the position may vary considerably. My theory is that activity in the 2613 thread is due to HR scheduling candidates for classes 'x' number of classes in advance, hopefully for the benefit of those candidates wanting to gracefully exit their current positions. You'll hear take a 'leave of absence', which is not applicable in all situations. In my previous professional job, for example at a large Fortune 500 company, even if your leave of absence (you'll have to provide reasons why you are seeking this) was approved by the VP of your business unit, any employment during your LOA results in termination. 

Keep a close eye on that thread for an idea on the status.