B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Will do subwayfan, just looked at those links and its very interesting. Didnt know MTA buses are now fitted with plexiglass barrier! Thats great to hear and im definitely all for it! Gosh been so long since ive ridden on a bus.

Glad I was able to help.

Does anyone know what happens if you can't pass the ishihara color plates? Is there another test they can give you or are you disqualified on the spot?

(This information is from reading the B/O 2613 thread so many times, don't know who exactly said this information and when it was posted)

You will be placed on medical hold in which you will be required to bring a note in from a physician stating that it's okay to drive a bus. The second time you come in they will put you through the same ishiara color plates. If you still fail, and you have the note from the physician, they will bring you into another room with a physical traffic light. As long as you can easily identify the red, green and orange lights, you're good to go.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad I was able to help.

(This information is from reading the B/O 2613 thread so many times, don't know who exactly said this information and when it was posted)

You will be placed on medical hold in which you will be required to bring a note in from a physician stating that it's okay to drive a bus. The second time you come in they will put you through the same ishiara color plates. If you still fail, and you have the note from the physician, they will bring you into another room with a physical traffic light. As long as you can easily identify the red, green and orange lights, you're good to go.

Thanks for the info, I've been searching for an answer for a while.

If I could do it all over again, I would get my CDL before you start.  Just another thing to worry about.  I only lost 5 points on my test but there were guys there with me that failed the first time, and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Edited by sssick

If I could do it all over again, I would get my CDL before you start.  Just another thing to worry about.  I only lost 5 points on my test but there were guys there with me that failed the first time, and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

I agree 100%!

If I could do it all over again, I would get my CDL before you start. Just another thing to worry about. I only lost 5 points on my test but there were guys there with me that failed the first time, and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

I would love too..but its kinda hard to do that when the city is taking 100 years just to give us our results. I am slowly giving up on 4600 as itll take another 9 months just to see if you have a shot at the job. Wouldnt be a happy camper getting the CDL just to be 15000 on the list. Had 4 wrong on the test.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love too..but its kinda hard to do that when the city is taking 100 years just to give us our results. I am slowly giving up on 4600 as itll take another 9 months just to see if you have a shot at the job. Wouldnt be a happy camper getting the CDL just to be 15000 on the list. Had 4 wrong on the test.

Its an possible chance that the list can be released before the 9 months period. But only times will tell. 

Why are you folks bumping this thread? 4105 has it's own thread: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/44192-bus-operator-exam-4105/.

I don't see where this would lead to bumping the thread. Its still a Bus operator related topic, but of course just a different application exam number. He just asked a question and it was answered in a simple manner.

Hello All,

I'm moving out soon and i would like to update my new address to MTA.

is it something i can just call? or email?

Thanks.

There is usually a form on the website that they will tell you to print and fill out. I think it is on the page that displays all the tests that will be availed to applicants by a certain date, but you scroll all the way down to the bottom and there is a link.

if you think about it, 9 months, (not sure if they can go past the 9months) but if they do stick to 9months, 9 months is feburary 2016 given that the calls were made in june, not as far as it might seem, summer is basically done, fall then feb.....look at it as 3 months gone for the most part, 6 months left

Is MTA a city agency or a state agency? 

If we break this question down, the MTA stands for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which is a state agency since this oversees NYC Transit, Long Island Railroad, Metro-North, Bridges and Tunnels, Capital Construction & MTA Bus Company. The MTA also used to oversee Long Island Bus before the transition to NICE took place.

Although the MTA is a State Agency, NYC Transit is a city agency. Which means that, if you work for NYC Transit, as a Conductor, Bus Operator, Mechanic, etc., you are eligible for a city pension, aka NYCERS, and other benefits similar to other city employees who work for other city agencies such as NYC DOT.

In this case, for those who get called off of B/O list 4600, this exam was for NYC Transit, so you would receive city benefits.

Hopefully this helps your question.

Hi Guys and Dolls, I'm new here. Took exam 4600. Got 100% correct. Veterans credit. Already possess CDL B w/Pass. Good luck to all. :bus_bullet_b44:  

hey guys long time, I'm here waiting with all of you. Good luck to all.

The rules of this website, under "Forum Etiquette" mention Off-Topic posting and Bumping Topics. I personally feel that both have been violated and this will not be tolerated. I do not want to take any further disciplinary action, however, if I have to, I will.

NOTE: If you look at the Bus Operator 2613 thread, either as a member or guest, that has over 500 pages and 5,000 posts. Therefore, if someone were to go through that thread looking for valuable information, which probably can not be found in any other open forum, these posts would not only be a waste of space, but annoying as well. Therefore, please abide by the rules.

If this continues, I would have no choice but to temporarily lock this thread and un-lock it at the appropriate time. I, myself, have taken the exam & obtained a score in the low 90's. Therefore it is not like someone who did not take the exam is doing this - I am in the same boat as all of you are, patiently waiting.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan