B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

If we break this question down, the MTA stands for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which is a state agency since this oversees NYC Transit, Long Island Railroad, Metro-North, Bridges and Tunnels, Capital Construction & MTA Bus Company. The MTA also used to oversee Long Island Bus before the transition to NICE took place.

Although the MTA is a State Agency, NYC Transit is a city agency. Which means that, if you work for NYC Transit, as a Conductor, Bus Operator, Mechanic, etc., you are eligible for a city pension, aka NYCERS, and other benefits similar to other city employees who work for other city agencies such as NYC DOT.

In this case, for those who get called off of B/O list 4600, this exam was for NYC Transit, so you would receive city benefits.

Hopefully this helps your question.

Yes it does, had concerns regarding my pension given that I do work for the city so its still NYCERS.....thanks alot for the information. Additionally, not sure where to post this question in terms of correct forum or whatever. CDL school recommendations? Where would such a question be posted if even allowed. I got my CDL A and always thought I could drive anything beneath however DMV made it clear you need passenger endorsement and an additional road test in a bus. I'm doing like was suggested and trying to get it before being called. Getting my CDL A was so hard and nerve wrecking, I can second that to those who can afford or look for low payment plans, get the CDL before being called. You can always use it on the side to recoup the money spent to obtain it, better to have months to learn and practice than just a 10 day period.

Also forum rules might be abit new or unfamiliar to new members, in reading it came off more combative than invitational. Not sure how this works but on other sites, moderators can just move posts to the correct forums with a tagline of proper procedure to new members for future notice and take disciplinary action to repeat offenders. First time offenders though, came off abit rude tbh. Just my opinion but always a great experience on this forum and always got the best and well-detailed responses from everyone. Thanks for the assistance thus far.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it does, had concerns regarding my pension given that I do work for the city so its still NYCERS.....thanks alot for the information. Additionally, not sure where to post this question...

First, you're welcome for the information.

Second, as far as CDL school recommendations, I would suggest doing some research. I live in Queens, therefore the schools that I was looking into were Ferrari Driving School (where I went), Ena's Driving School, Queens Trucking Auto School, etc. Now if you live in Staten Island or near the borderline of the Bronx and Westchester County, you'll have different schools to pick from, which can simply be done by doing a Google search. I would personally recommend Ferrari. One of the reasons why is because if you go here, you'll see that they offer several packages to choose from. Second, they have four locations, one of them, their main office, is adjacent to the Steinway Street station which the (R) serves. Even if you wanted to take lessons on a bus out of there, the instructor can always meet you there with the commercial vehicle. However, we all have different preferences, therefore I would strongly recommend doing some research first. If you want to talk about this further, you can always open a thread in the Off Topic Lounge and I can always link it with the Employment Topics.

Finally, in a nutshell, as far as how this site works: As a member, you have the privilege of posting relevant information, adding to conversations, starting new topics, posting your own pictures and videos, etc., as long as it relates to public transportation one way or another. If you go out of line, or if you're getting bullied by another member, of if you make a mistake, just reach out to one of the moderators and we'll take care of it. Keep in mind that we also look at the various topics as well. As far as disciplinary action, without elaborating too much, we go light the first time and if it is a repeat offender, then we'll go harder as time evolves. There's a famous quote, "treat others the way you want to be treated."

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
Grammar corrections

When are we getting the results for this exam

I believe sometime in March of 2016...I got this e-mail from "MTA Broadcast" back on June 5th:

"From Exam Administration

This is the MTA calling to inform you that we are still processing the results for the Bus Operator, Exam No. 4600. We expect the list for this exam to be established in approximately 9 months. We will send you a Notice of Result letter by mail once the list is established. If you have any questions please contact the Examination Information Center at (347) 643, 7221 or 7222. "

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this website. I've been lurking around before the 4600 test was available to take,but never decided to make an account until now. I have a question about a sticky situation i might be in when it is time to do the interview for this position as a bus operator. Currently I work for USPS as a letter carrier. I'm not a full time regular but work more than the full time regular lol. To make things short, I might be getting terminated. I was wondering if the MTA get to know this before hand or would I have to tell them during the interview for them to know? I really want to work as bus operator but don't want to mess up for my chances because of previous employment. Some advice would be great, Good luck to everyone for this position!

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this website. I've been lurking around before the 4600 test was available to take,but never decided to make an account until now. I have a question about a sticky situation i might be in when it is time to do the interview for this position as a bus operator. Currently I work for USPS as a letter carrier. I'm not a full time regular but work more than the full time regular lol. To make things short, I might be getting terminated. I was wondering if the MTA get to know this before hand or would I have to tell them during the interview for them to know? I really want to work as bus operator but don't want to mess up for my chances because of previous employment. Some advice would be great, Good luck to everyone for this position!

From what I remember of going through the hiring process with B/O exam 2613, this is what will happen:

In March of 2016 (or whenever), the list will come out. The list will tell you your list number, which will give you an estimate on when you will be called. When the time approaches, NYC Transit will mail you an envelope which will contain two things: a **letter stating the day you have to report to 180 Livingston Street for the first drug test, and a pre-employment packet in which you have to list all of your jobs from high school. Prior to you taking your drug test, they will give you a brown envelope. In it will be a blank CPD-B packet for you to fill out, in which you have to go into a little bit more detail as far as all of the jobs you have had since high school. When you go for final processing, the HR representative will compare both and ask you about any discrepancies (this is where a lot of people get stuck).

They don't care if you've been hired and layed off several times for whatever reason. As long as both documents contain the same information, and you do not have any arrests, convictions, and your license is clean (NO accidents/points/tickets), you will be fine.

**The HR Dept. understands that we all have commitments. Therefore, when you get the letter, if you can not make it that day for whatever reason, but are still interested in the position, you can always call them and more than likely, they will give you permission to come in on another day which is more convenient for you, especially if it is your first time going there primarily for the first drug test.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I got side swiped by a hit and run driver over the weekend. Called the cops and they filed an accident report and complaint report. Anyone know if this will affect me negatively for MTA bus operator? Got two wrong on exam 4600 so I would imagine the accident will be on my record about time MTA calls.

Hey guys. I got side swiped by a hit and run driver over the weekend. Called the cops and they filed an accident report and complaint report. Anyone know if this will affect me negatively for MTA bus operator? Got two wrong on exam 4600 so I would imagine the accident will be on my record about time MTA calls.

you should be fine as long as you keep  your DMV  record clean try not to have anymore  and  do not get more than 4 points on your license stay positive i hear they will call from 4600 sometime in 2016   best of luck 

you should be fine as long as you keep  your DMV  record clean try not to have anymore  and  do not get more than 4 points on your license stay positive i hear they will call from 4600 sometime in 2016   best of luck

Cool thanks man. After the accident I was thinking about this job more than my car. Had me stressed out.

Cool thanks man. After the accident I was thinking about this job more than my car. Had me stressed out.

Don't worry about it. In case you did not do that well on the exam, when you go down to be processed, the MTA only looks at your driving record for the past three years. With that being said, if you get called in late 2016 (argument sake) and your last accident/ticket was in early 2013, you should be fine.

If you do have something on your license within the three year period, they will simply tell you to come back when the incident comes off. If anything, this is beneficial for you because you'll have a lower list # which means that you'll go through the hiring process a little quicker compared to those who have higher list numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

What happens if you have high blood pressure, and bring a notice of clearance? Do they test you again and what happens if it's high again ?

My educated guess is that, if the reading is similar (or a little better) to the last one, you should be fine, providing you have the note.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

So guys, last few days ive been feeling VERY excited about this job. We are T-minus 4 months until we get results back and more of accurate time table when to expect to be hired..just a few questions...what will the TAKE HOME pay be like for the first year? If my calculations are correct we can expect about 620 a week take home for a 40hr work week? Just trying to crunch a budget for the first year...

also, I had 4 wrong on the exam and feel I did really well on the BOSS examination...do my chances look solid? Need some honest opinions...

Havent attempted to get my CDL yet as I am waiting for list numbers before I make any sort of moves. In the meantime what can someone do to prepare for this job? Memorize the bus lines?

thanks all and goodluck to 4600!!!!!

Edited by MTAhopeful1

So guys, last few days ive been feeling VERY excited about this job. We are T-minus 4 months until we get results back and more of accurate time table when to expect to be hired..just a few questions...what will the TAKE HOME pay be like for the first year? If my calculations are correct we can expect about 620 a week take home for a 40hr work week? Just trying to crunch a budget for the first year...

also, I had 4 wrong on the exam and feel I did really well on the BOSS examination...do my chances look solid? Need some honest opinions...

Havent attempted to get my CDL yet as I am waiting for list numbers before I make any sort of moves. In the meantime what can someone do to prepare for this job? Memorize the bus lines?

thanks all and goodluck to 4600!!!!!  your calculations are give or take correct as far as pay  

Edited by ILLMATIC96SS

your calculations sound correct give or take, i would say go ahead and get the CDL  ASAP  you need this  you should be fine as long as all your paperwork  are in order  your health must be in order  well   if you only got 4 wrong  you be getting a call in early 2016  as i hear test 2613 is coming to a close  as far as preparations  you will need that CDL  for starters  and again STAY HEALTHY !!!!!!  everything else will fall in place .....

your calculations sound correct give or take, i would say go ahead and get the CDL  ASAP  you need this  you should be fine as long as all your paperwork  are in order  your health must be in order  well   if you only got 4 wrong  you be getting a call in early 2016  as i hear test 2613 is coming to a close  as far as preparations  you will need that CDL  for starters  and again STAY HEALTHY !!!!!!  everything else will fall in place .....

We'll have to see what the update is for 2613 is this evening (hopefully someone will call ;) ) to estimate when the previous TA list from Exam 2613 finishes. There has been near zero movement for the past few months. From what I understand the winter system pick is going on, which according to another member slows things down some. 

I would like to draw parallels between the 5001 Sanitation Exam, which like the TA Exam 4600 attracted a lot of candidates. There are 68,720 candidates on the Sanitation list, for the TA Bus Operator list, my estimate is that 12,000 or so people took the test. Out of the 68,720 scores on the Sanitation list:

278 Candidates (Scoring above 105.00) had received veteran, legacy, residency and other credits.

There are only 569 candidates that received perfect scores (100 + 5 Residency Credit Points = 105). There is no residency credit for bus operator exam.

The Sanitation exam like the Bus Operator exam were both easy though a question on the Sanitation exam apparently threw people off (something about a Snowman). I didn't take the exam FYI.

My prediction is that there won't be that many candidates who received multiple credits and the perfect score team may be smaller, but as the scores get lower to a certain point, you'll have bigger groupings of those folks. It's statistics and bell curves. The Sanitation exam is perfect for those comparisons due to the overall population demographics (entry level job and folks from all over the city).

Edited by 161passenger

thanks all and goodluck to 4600!!!!!

The take home pay, may be a little on the low side, but is not totally off the mark.

Yes, your chances look good, I would almost say solid. Though you will probably have to wait a longer (maybe 1.5 - 2 years). However we won't know anything until we get list numbers. If your list number is at least 3,000 you should be fine.

Don't worry about memorizing bus lines, they change every so often (Staten Island may see major changes in the next year or so). It might be helpful to learn major roads in the city.

What ILLMATIC96SS, said, maintain your health and get a physical done. I have an issue with blood pressure (you need less than 140/90) and vision (20/40 in both eyes - I have 20/50 in one eye). If you (or anyone) has a weight issue, you will need a sleep study if your BMI is greater than 30 (or so), If you have diabetes, get that under control. And drugs are bad mmmmkay?

As for your CDL, don't go for the permit until you are ready for lessons, or can get hired by a bus/trucking company who will train you with a permit, or are going to wait until the TA as the state changed up the permit and license processes for the CDL.

Thanks for the reply guys!!! Happy that Ill be considered for appointment as early as 2016, thought I wouldve had a decent wait with 4 wrong...

something thats been on my mind though is bus routes...I am relatively new to NYC (moved from LI) and I am by NO MEANS a expert with navigating around the city. I literally only know 1 or 2 bus routes in NYC..will this be a problem coming in? I doubt the MTA will just throw you into a route without training for it? How does it work? Id hate to get lost with a bus full of people trying to get to work... 

Thanks for the reply guys!!! Happy that Ill be considered for appointment as early as 2016, thought I wouldve had a decent wait with 4 wrong...

something thats been on my mind though is bus routes...I am relatively new to NYC (moved from LI) and I am by NO MEANS a expert with navigating around the city. I literally only know 1 or 2 bus routes in NYC..will this be a problem coming in? I doubt the MTA will just throw you into a route without training for it? How does it work? Id hate to get lost with a bus full of people trying to get to work... 

No one is an expert when its their first time doing or learning something. You will learn the lines for which ever depot you will work for. After the 7 -10 day qualification training, those who qualified will pick a depot where He/She will work and you will learn all the lines in that depot by doing line training with an experience Bus operator. So don't worry about  not knowing the roads and etc. You'll do good once you get in.

No one is an expert when its time doing or learning something. You will learn the lines for which ever depot you will work for. After the 7 -10 day qualification training, those who qualified will pick a depot where He/She will work and you will learn all the lines in that depot by doing line training with an experience Bus operator. So don't worry about  not knowing the roads and etc. You'll do good once you get in.

DueceDrives thanks a ton for putting my mind at ease with it! This forum has really been informative and you guys have been great with helping us hopefuls get on the job someday! Thanks again.