B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

In the meantime what can someone do to prepare for this job?

I would suggest two things. First, like someone else said, in going for your Class B CDL, I would highly recommend getting 'some' experience of driving a bus or small box truck with the front axle behind the driver's seat compared to in front of. Depending on how much time, money and energy you are willing to put into this, there should be at least one driving school within the tri-state area that offers this vehicle.

Second, I would suggest to memorize http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/?p=791650. When I was in my initial 7-Day training (which I failed), the instructor I had let us borrow 'booklets' with valuable information. I scanned the pages not only for myself as future reference, but to share with everyone else as well. (When the MTA starts calling people from this list, I will re-post them in this topic.)

We'll have to see what the update is for 2613 is this evening (hopefully someone will call ;) ) to estimate when the previous TA list from Exam 2613 finishes. 

I plan on calling and I will post something...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@youngnycsubwayfan,why did you fail? And do you know the peak blood pressure reading at the time of medical is it 140/90?

At the time of medical, I thought I heard the physician say to me that anything from 110/70 to 130/90 is acceptable. Keep in mind that this was in early 2014, so some things might have changed.

As far as why I failed, to make a long story very short, I had no experience driving any commercial vehicle. Like someone said, getting your CDL would be a huge benefit. If that's too expensive, which is understandable for some folks, if you go for at least one or two lessons, IMHO, it would definitely help you in the long run.

@youngnycsubwayfan. I was reading previous post you have written and I read you also had a conflict with a supervisor during training. Are these supervisor hard to deal with?

Well, think of it as having several teachers in high school and/or college: There are some that you are going to like, some that you have neutral feelings on, and some that you are not going to like. The Superintendent/Instructor I had was one that I did not like.

That's all I'm saying...

guys do not over think the process  get your CDL  asap  stay healthy and have all your paper work in order keep a clean license  , Don't worry about routes or about the superintendent not liking you .  when on the 7 to 10 day training  you need to Demonstrate control of the vehicle and be able to be Proactive on the road ... you need to be able to drive that Bus safely the routes you will learn them as you go along 

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL !!!!

word to the wise get a full medical check up prior to reporting for the medical  from your personal Doctor if  you have any issues get the attention you before hand so you will not be placed on medical hold .... they will pass your list # up if your placed on medical hold   STAY HEALTHY STAY HEALTHY STAY HEALTHY 

they will pass your list # up if your placed on medical hold

Not 100% true...once you get the medical hold taken care of, then you will be good to go. It's not like if you're placed on medical hold, you're permanently disqualified. Please be careful as far as what you post.

@illmatic96ss. I have high blood pressure I'm on meds will I be put on medical hold? Will I be disqualified? What can I do if I am?

My best advice is shortly after your first drug test, go to your physician and get a note stating that it is under control. Providing this documentation is good for your medical examination (which I believe is 3 months prior), you should be fine.

I'm going for my cdl permit next week and plan to take the road test before the end of the year. Can anyone explain the recent changes in regards to the medical report/certificate? Is it required to get the permit? What about to take lessons at a driving school or at the time of the road test? My current employment doesn't involve operating a commercial vehicle. I just want to get it ahead of time in preparation for the MTA and Sanitation. Going for general knowledge, air brakes, passenger, and tanker endorsements.

Edited by Ctrain24

@illmatic96ss. Do the recheck my blood pressure after I get the letter of clearance and if so what happens if it still high,but I submit the notice of clearance?

They will probably and most likely re-check it. As long as your note is valid, you should be fine.

I'm going for my cdl permit next week and plan to take the road test before the end of the year. Can anyone explain the recent changes in regards to the medical report/certificate? Is it required to get the permit? What about to take lessons at a driving school or at the time of the road test? My current employment doesn't involve operating a commercial vehicle. I just want to get it ahead of time in preparation for the MTA and Sanitation. Going for general knowledge, air brakes, passenger, and tanker endorsements.

Go to http://dmv.ny.gov/commercial-drivers/federal-requirement-commercial-drivers-national-registry-certified-medical for the full explanation. In a nutshell, if you do not have your certificate, you will receive an A3 restriction. As far as taking lessons at a driving school, just do some research - there are schools located throughout the tri-state area.

Also, IMHO, if you're getting your CDL just for the MTA or Sanitation, I would wait until close to the time you're called. For the sanitation exam (go to http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/sanitation_worker_exam_5001_results.shtml for more information), that list consists of over 68,000 candidates. I got a score of 97.857% and my list number for Sanitation is 17,3**. Therefore, in reality, I would be 100% shocked if I get called for that position.

They will probably and most likely re-check it. As long as your note is valid, you should be fine.

Go to http://dmv.ny.gov/commercial-drivers/federal-requirement-commercial-drivers-national-registry-certified-medical for the full explanation. In a nutshell, if you do not have your certificate, you will receive an A3 restriction. As far as taking lessons at a driving school, just do some research - there are schools located throughout the tri-state area.

Also, IMHO, if you're getting your CDL just for the MTA or Sanitation, I would wait until close to the time you're called. For the sanitation exam (go to http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/sanitation_worker_exam_5001_results.shtml for more information), that list consists of over 68,000 candidates. I got a score of 97.857% and my list number for Sanitation is 17,3**. Therefore, in reality, I would be 100% shocked if I get called for that position.

Thanks Young. I thought the DOT medical was a requirement with the new changes. I have two wrong on exam 4600 and a list number in the 3600's on the Sanitation exam. I've been meaning to go for the cdl for a while now waiting for the 4600 list. I have a decent shot in a few years with sanitation with that list number as well. Too much waiting. I just want to get something done while we continue to wait and that something is the CDL. Thanks again.

Not 100% true...once you get the medical hold taken care of, then you will be good to go. It's not like if you're placed on medical hold, you're permanently disqualified. Please be careful as far as what you post.

My best advice is shortly after your first drug test, go to your physician and get a note stating that it is under control. Providing this documentation is good for your medical examination (which I believe is 3 months prior), you should be fine.

guys if you get placed on a medical hold and cant get it taken care of  asap  your list # can and will be passed up , it does not mean you will be disqualified  but it does mean that if you do hired later you will be lower on the list and  have less seniority if you never got placed on medical hold everything on this job is about seniority  again and again stay healthy 

@illmatic96ss. Do the recheck my blood pressure after I get the letter of clearance and if so what happens if it still high,but I submit the notice of clearance?

not too sure on this one  try to have under control and bring the letter with you MAC   if you do in fact get HIRED  they will call you down every 6 months for a re check to make sure its under control 

guys if you get placed on a medical hold and cant get it taken care of  asap  your list # can and will be passed up , it does not mean you will be disqualified  but it does mean that if you do hired later you will be lower on the list and  have less seniority if you never got placed on medical hold everything on this job is about seniority  again and again stay healthy 

not too sure on this one  try to have under control and bring the letter with you MAC   if you do in fact get HIRED  they will call you down every 6 months for a re check to make sure its under control 

I co-sign with @ILLMATIC96SS, You can still be hired with any medical conditions. As long its under control and doesn't effect safety of operating the Bus and DOT standards. If you're hired, they will probably have you on a medical watch just like @ILLMATIC96SS stated. Every 6 months or year ((Depending on the situation)) to return back to MAC.

The purpose for these medical check is to avoid liability and future lawsuits if god forbid something hazardous occurred while operating the Bus. By DOT anyone operating a Commercial vehicle will be medical check before obtaining the license or the job.

Edited by DueceDrives

Apply for greyhound they are hiring n they will train you for your CDL if you have your permit. I already had mines. You can get your experience on how to handle a coach bus. So when mta calls you you wont be so nervous at training. Good luck

I applied a week ago, still no call yet.

Hello everyone can you Work a second job while you're working for the MTA

I know you won't be able to do a second driving job. But you would have to report it to transit if you have a second job. Remember you need to be well rested when it comes to driving with transit.

Greyhound isn't hiring anymore. They had last interviews this past weekend and luckily i got in. I start training this Sunday. They said they start hiring again in February.

Congrats. I guess I applied too late.

Thanks Young. I thought the DOT medical was a requirement with the new changes. I have two wrong on exam 4600 and a list number in the 3600's on the Sanitation exam. I've been meaning to go for the cdl for a while now waiting for the 4600 list. I have a decent shot in a few years with sanitation with that list number as well. Too much waiting. I just want to get something done while we continue to wait and that something is the CDL. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

By DOT anyone operating a Commercial vehicle will be medical check before obtaining the license or the job.

This is NOT just for the Department of Buses. If you get any driving job which includes passengers and/or safety sensitive areas, you will have to go for a medical examination.

What happen if you own limousine company and someone is working for you and u only drive one day or none

My educated guess is that you're going to have to make a choice between one or the either. Now, if you're successful with NYC Transit, after the one year probation period, you can fill out a dual employment form to inquire about possibly owning and operating the business, but I wouldn't give them any hints as far as being a limousine driver...again, this is just my educated guess (or opinion).

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Well I'm afraid to keep it to myself and not to say anything about having my own business and it comes Back in my face later they find out than I will lose the MTA transit job and also I would lose my job as a school bus driver for the last 5 years

Honestly I really don't know what to do. so confused