B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Well I'm afraid to keep it to myself and not to say anything about having my own business and it comes Back in my face later they find out than I will lose the MTA transit job and also I would lose my job as a school bus driver for the last 5 years

Honestly I really don't know what to do. so confused

Well, like you said, it's better to tell them up front about it rather than have them find out about it in which you could lose your job.

If I was you, send a private message (PM) to another member on this site who is an MTA employee, preferably a Bus Operator. Hopefully, by doing it this way, not only will this respect your privacy, but hopefully you'll have a clear idea as far as what to do and say in regards to this issue.

If you want my further opinion about this, even though I am not an MTA employee, send me a private message (PM) and I will be happy to elaborate on what I think is best for you.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm afraid to keep it to myself and not to say anything about having my own business and it comes Back in my face later they find out than I will lose the MTA transit job and also I would lose my job as a school bus driver for the last 5 years

Honestly I really don't know what to do. so confused

its best to disclose to MTA  about  your limo company , however MTA frowns upon  dual employment  be careful what you sign or how you plan on explaining this to them ....  

First I would like to thank you both for sharing that kind of information with me second how do you do private message @ YoungNYCSubwayFan.

and to@ ILLMATIC96SS how would you handle it if you're in my position or how would you explain it

if you got called for the MTA

First I would like to thank you both for sharing that kind of information with me second how do you do private message @ YoungNYCSubwayFan.

I just sent you a 'test' message - to retrieve it, go to the top right of the web page, underneath your profile name there should be a sealed envelope. Click on the envelope which will open your inbox. Click on my message and you should be good to go...

and to@ ILLMATIC96SS how would you handle it if you're in my position or how would you explain it

if you got called for the MTA

i would disclose it to the MTA asap  but i would explain that you are just the owner of the company !  as you may know or not  the MTA  pays for all of your DRIVER'S LICENSE RENEWALS!!!!  so basically as an unwritten rule the MTA  owns YOUR license while you are EMPLOYED by them ..... GOOD LUCK TO ALL 

@stepurgameup trust me very close my sister in law was 3000 4 months ago she got called and Here I am 4 months later I got called so they went through 2000 people so quick.

True, but keep in mind that most of those 2,000 people probably either changed their minds, failed the drug test, failed the medical exam and/or failed the training class.

Hey everyone, first post here.. Been following since the exam came out..

Quick question.. I was arrested for DWI and refusing to blow 2.5 years ago.. The case eventually got dismissed by the ADA because they couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I was DWI, I also won the refusal hearing at DMV court even after the officer testified.. I checked my drivers abstract recently and noticed that my suspension for refusing to blow is still showing on the abstract, but it says that suspension cleared 2 weeks after my DWI arrest, that's when I won the refusal hearing case.

I have court disposition showing case got dismissed..

I also have a suspension showing on drivers abstract for insurance lapse, but that got cleared 2 years ago.

Will these 2 suspension showing on my abstract, even though case got dismissed, affect me in the hiring process?

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about this and curious as to some of the more finer details of a BOs duties...how long is a typical bus route? Does the BO constantly keep doing the route over and over until the shift is done? Also whats the schedules/shifts look like?

I am one to really hit Overtime hard so I hope MTA does not limit me on that lol.

@MTAhopeful1

I have less than a year, but can answer your questions anyway. A typical bus route is 40-50 minutes, although some are shorter and some are longer. IN my depot, one of the routes is only 20-25 minnutes and one, which I do, is 60-80 minutes. Yes, the bus driver does the route over and over until it's done. Usually you do a few trips or so, then get your regular break, then do a few more trips OR transfer to do another route. So, some runs are a combo of two different routes. Your break btw is typically 40-50 minutes, although if your route is heavy, you may get back late and you're only given 20 minutes! That's been happening on my route the last few weeks. Hope that helps. As for OT, to each their own but it's wisely suggested to steer away from OT while on probabtion. Other than the natural OT that comes into play when your route is busy, I have never put in to work OT or on my day off. While on probabtion, the less you're out there, the better.

Hockeyplayer9, excellent helpful post thank you!!! Pretty much answered my questions! How are you liking your time on the job thus far? Finding it easy to do, stressful? Also is it a 5 days a week job and what do the shifts look like (8 to 4, 4 to 12 etc etc)....Thanks!!!

Cant wait to get results already.

Edited by MTAhopeful1

Glad I could help! Overall, I am liking it and finding it less stressful than I thought. That being said, I see co-workers with similar time on the job who seem to be more stressed. Guess it depends. I tend to be a high-strung person in generally stressful conditions, but I think for me, being older (40s) helps me be more calm than if it were 10 years or so ago. I generally have a smile when people get on which seems to help. Some guys just stare straight forward the whole time (thought that would be me). I guess, once again, it depends.

It is indeed 5 days a week, unless you decide to work on your day off. As mentioned in my previous post, not something I ever do since I'm on probabtion.

Shifts really vary. Not even possible to say. Also, it's not 8 hour shifts, but more like 9 or so when you factor in your lunch break and your layover time between trips (which usually are less because you generally run a few minutes late).

Good luck and any more questions, no problem!