B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

@NycGamer18,

It wasn't too difficult overall. It really depends on a few things. One, if you have a photographic memory (I don't). Also, how many routes are there in the depot. My depot doesn't have many (less than 10). Some depots have 20 or more. In the end, you just write down the turns (your depot should have "turn sheets") and keep it with you when you are out on your own. Mistakes can happen. It does to almost everyone. You make a wrong turn and either figure it out on your own or ask the passengers. Just give them the old "this isn't my usual route". Oh, and naother factor is how much the senior operator let's you drive through the run (as oppsed to just sitting and watching). Some don't want to be late, so will drive most of the time. Some want the overtime, so will be more than happy to let you drive most of the time. MOst importantly, just drive how you were taught and don't let them entice you into driving faster. I didn't have that experience with anyone, but heard that happens sometimes.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm curious if you stay with the route you are assigned everyday? Obviously somedays youll have to take on different routes, but the majority of the time do you stay with you 1 assigned route most of your career?

I remember riding the bus to school as a teenager, id see the same Bus Operators consistantly everyday.

You pick what's open in the beginning you'll only be able to get a work run or extra list which is something different everyday but with a work run you'll know what your doing everyday with the extra list you'll find out what your doing the day before

As far as learning the routes you get plenty of time to learn the routes during line training

Anybody planning on coming to staten island

You pick what's open in the beginning you'll only be able to get a work run or extra list which is something different everyday but with a work run you'll know what your doing everyday with the extra list you'll find out what your doing the day before

As far as learning the routes you get plenty of time to learn the routes during line training

Anybody planning on coming to staten island

Yup, I'm coming to Staten Island as soon as this list is established and they reach my list number. I'm OA not TA right now, so nothing I can do but wait. Not a big deal, I'm content where I am and I know it shouldn't be any more than another year give or take. My main concern right now is not getting bumped out of my current Brooklyn depot with this upcoming system pick. Traveling to Brooklyn isn't that bad, but going to Manhattan or the Bronx would suck. I should be safe since I came in at the beginning of the year and there were lots of new people that came in even after I did.

Edited by hockeyplayer9

Hey Everyone. Hope all is doing well. Still waiting very patiently for the scores for test 4600 and trying to keep my nose clean.

Unfortunately today I ended up getting a speeding ticket. This is my first ticket in a very long time. I'm really worried that this is going to affect me getting into the MTA. I've tried so hard to not have any infractions under my belt but I guess I screwed this one up.

So questions. Does this ruin my chances of getting into the MTA?

Is it worth fighting the ticket or just bite the bullet pay the fee and take the class to get rid of the points? I was thinking about going down and talking to the judge but I don't know how much that would help. I was in the wrong so I can't fight it on that end. I just don't want to ruin my chances because of this one mistake.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys

Hey Everyone. Hope all is doing well. Still waiting very patiently for the scores for test 4600 and trying to keep my nose clean.

Unfortunately today I ended up getting a speeding ticket. This is my first ticket in a very long time. I'm really worried that this is going to affect me getting into the MTA. I've tried so hard to not have any infractions under my belt but I guess I screwed this one up.

So questions. Does this ruin my chances of getting into the MTA?

Is it worth fighting the ticket or just bite the bullet pay the fee and take the class to get rid of the points? I was thinking about going down and talking to the judge but I don't know how much that would help. I was in the wrong so I can't fight it on that end. I just don't want to ruin my chances because of this one mistake.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys

It depends on the points. You can have up to four points on your license. It is up to you if you want to go to kangaroo court (Staten Island) and try to fight it (and probably lose). Was this in New York or New Jersey? If New Jersey, you can probably plead down but prepare say goodbye to $478+ .

Defensive driving course does not reduce your points for MTA purposes.

Make copies of the ticket and when it is settled, you'll need to get a copy of the disposition as it will be needed when you get called.

Just follow all traffic laws to the letter. Screw everyone else. ;)

Either u can plead guilty n take the points reduction class or hire a traffic court lawyer to fight the ticket which will take awhile cause the postponement. As long as u don't have too many points taken off u be ok. When I apply for the exam I had too many points taken off so when MTA call me, they have to put me on the hold until my points come down. Good luck !

Hey 161

Thank you so much for the response. This was done in New York. If I can have up to 4 then I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and just pay the ticket. I think for this ticket I'm going to get 4 points so I think from here on out I'm going to drive like grandma.

I rather not pay a lot more money to go to court and loose.

Thank you again for the information I really do appreciate it

Edited by Domvolpe427

Hey Guys been following for a while now. I just did my passenger and air brakes endorsement a month ago for my CDL permit. Just wanted to know how long are the endorsements good for before i have to retake them again. 

Generally speaking, the permit is good for one [1] calendar year.

After that, you have to take all of the written tests all over again...

Hey Guys been following for a while now. I just did my passenger and air brakes endorsement a month ago for my CDL permit. Just wanted to know how long are the endorsements good for before i have to retake them again. 

its good one year and then you can renew it only one time 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've been reading that a lot if not all of us got a call in March stating that it would be 9 months before a list was made. Isn't this the 9th month? I hope they don't push it off because working for greyhound is killing me.

Well, I remember getting an email this past June, which was June of 2015, in which the list would be produced in nine [9] months. If you figure it out, 9 months from June of 2015 would be March of 2016.

I personally don't remember getting the call, but I definitely got an e-mail stating this...

FYI   as of  MONDAY  12/7/15  candidates were still being called for final processing  from EXAM 2613   so 4600 is still on pause  also the MTA seems to be HIRING  more OA operators  there is a class training now out of several DEPOTS   i spoke to a few  some were OA  some were MTA BUS  i was told the total class # was of 80 candidates  GOOD LUCK TO ALL