B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, CONGRATS TO ALL WHO MADE IT! :D  :D  :D 

I'm in the 10##, how long would they take to call? On average how many do they call annually? 100? 1000?

I'm not rushing it, I just want to know so I can make certain decisions at my current job.

I also got my CDL recently, though i have an A not a B. So I want to know how long to determine whether to go get the B done now or do I have time as money is a huge concern for me at this point. 

I'm in the 10##, how long would they take to call? On average how many do they call annually? 100? 1000?

I'm not rushing it, I just want to know so I can make certain decisions at my current job.

I also got my CDL recently, though i have an A not a B. So I want to know how long to determine whether to go get the B done now or do I have time as money is a huge concern for me at this point. 

Well, they are still on the previous bus operator exam so, maybe by this summer people should be called from 4600 bus operator list. I believe they call a new group of people every two weeks. 

A CDL Class A license includes buses, however you must have Passenger endorsement as well as air brakes to operate buses. (For example, my CDL Class B license would enable me to operate tow trucks, if I had the tow truck endorsement - if I want to drive a tow truck, I have to do the road test again with a tow truck.) If you don't have Passenger endorsement, you have to take the road test again to get that endorsement.  Taking the road test on a school bus should be sufficient and you shouldn't lose your Class A status. Double check with DMV.

So i spoke to this guy today from my job who also took 4600 and he told me that he has a friend whos in the 100s and recently received the pre employment package in the mail. Know i doubt is true but thats what he said. Any chance of it being true????

My list number is less than 150 and haven't received anything.. I am also not on outstanding certification per DCAS. I am not ready lol... 

That would be fast, just got a letter telling me my score that's it.

I haven't received anything.

Edited by 161passenger

I remember seeing youngnyc post stating there was 2821 appointed n 3621 certified on exam 2613. I dont think there are 800 canidents left to be called because out of 3621 certified includes the disqualified. So I believe they will call 4600 sooner than later. Just my thoughts n I can be wrong.

Edited by Teegrid67

So i spoke to this guy today from my job who also took 4600 and he told me that he has a friend whos in the 100s and recently received the pre employment package in the mail. Know i doubt is true but thats what he said. Any chance of it being true????

There is a slight possibility if they are pretty much  finishing up the 2613 list with the exception of a few stragglers here and there for whatever reason.

Thank you, same to you. To answer your question, from my perspective, it depends on the hiring needs of the Dept. of Buses. If we look back at the 2613 list, they called approximately 1,800 people per year, which means about 150 people a month.

A CDL Class A license includes buses, however you must have Passenger endorsement as well as air brakes to operate buses. (For example, my CDL Class B license would enable me to operate tow trucks, if I had the tow truck endorsement - if I want to drive a tow truck, I have to do the road test again with a tow truck.) If you don't have Passenger endorsement, you have to take the road test again to get that endorsement.  Taking the road test on a school bus 

I honestly thought you just had to take the written test to get the tow truck endorsement...my apologies on being rude, however where did you find this out from? In addition, when I took my CDL road tests in Maspeth, how come I just saw school buses and tractor trailers?

How many people will they call a month? Got mine today. My list number is 200

It depends on the hiring needs...see above.

I have heard from a few people that they received a congrats letter. So I'm guessing the letter indicate your list number and etc. 4600 is still not ready to be called until 2613 is completely over.

Again, my apologies about being rude, however, where did this come from if other people already received their pre-employment package?

I remember seeing youngnyc post stating there was 2821 appointed n 3621 certified on exam 2613. I dont think there are 800 canidents left to be called because out of 3621 certified includes the disqualified. So I believe they will call 4600 sooner than later. Just my thoughts n I can be wrong.

This is according to DCAS and not NYC Transit...two different sources folks...

Just got my letter...list number 31××...is this good enough guys? Says I scored a 93.3...good enough to get called??

Definitely, just give it time and keep your license as clean as possible.

Thank you for the reply Young, have people in past BO exams been hired with list numbers in the 3000s aswell? I am not sure how far MTA usually goes into lists, I know DSNY is highly competitive and they usually call about 4000...

I guess I am not completely confident in my list number of 31xx...I should definitely expect to be called or am I in a "wait and see" crowd?

I honestly thought you just had to take the written test to get the tow truck endorsement...my apologies on being rude, however where did you find this out from? In addition, when I took my CDL road tests in Maspeth, how come I just saw school buses and tractor trailers?

My apologies, bad example. You need only a written test for tow truck if you already have a CDL. As for the CDL A including buses and having to need to take the road test if you don't have passenger endorsement, this I know is true as a co-worker of mine had to and we drive buses for a PBL (private bus line) in New Jersey (we're both NY residents).

Edited by 161passenger

Didnt say NYC said anythg. I put nyc as part of your users name. Sorry for the confusion.

That's okay. You are forgiven.

Thank you for the reply Young, have people in past BO exams been hired with list numbers in the 3000s aswell? I am not sure how far MTA usually goes into lists, I know DSNY is highly competitive and they usually call about 4000...

I guess I am not completely confident in my list number of 31xx...I should definitely expect to be called or am I in a "wait and see" crowd?

Yes they have. If we look at the 2613 list, which consisted of about 3,617 or 3,621 candidates, they hired about 150 candidates a month, so it only took them a year and eight months before they got into the 3,000 range. (150 times 20 equals 3,000, right?)

My apologies, bad example. You need only a written test for tow truck if you already have a CDL. As for the CDL A including buses and having to need to take the road test if you don't have passenger endorsement, this I know is true as a co-worker of mine had to and we drive buses for a PBL (private bus line) in New Jersey (we're both NY residents).

That's what I thought...

2613 list came out in October of 2013 my list number was 11*9 I recieved my first letter in March of 2014 but couldn't accept it because I had points on my license. I expect 4600 to go Alittle quicker because I assume a lot of people who took 2613 Also took 4600 like myself. Because I scored a 82 I didn't even expect a call let alone one in the first year

Goodluck to all you, things are finally starting to move for 4600.

so just to reiterate, while we wait to be called it would be wise to gather any documents needed to start the hiring process. Since this is my first time dealing with the civil service hiring process, what kind of documents will be needed?

Also, starting my CDL process now, will probably choose Ferrari school in RedHook...

Goodluck all!

[ congrats number 4 quote name="Spanky215" post="86

Congratulations to all my fellow would be MTA NYC Bus Operators. I received my letter on 13 Jan 2016 it was dated 7 Jan 2016. My list number is 4. Good luck to all!!!

Edited by Teegrid67

so just to reiterate, while we wait to be called it would be wise to gather any documents needed to start the hiring process. Since this is my first time dealing with the civil service hiring process, what kind of documents will be needed?

If you wish to do this, from my experience, the biggest thing they are going to ask you to do is to fill out a Comprehensive Personnel Document (CPD-B). The guidelines for this can be found here. The bulk of this document contains your prior work history, dating back to high school.

When I went for processing for the B/O 2613 examination, some of the other people around me said that one of the things that helped them with this the most was going to the Social Security Office to obtain their history of their on-the-books jobs. Also, from what I remember, Transit is not 100% crazy about the actual dates - the month and the year of when you started a job, changed jobs and/or resigned from a previous job will do just fine.

The other documents needed to start the hiring process are minor - Social Security Card, passport, etc. 

Well I for another city government agency and it's always best to have your birth certificate high school diploma or GED all in order. You don't want anything to slow your process down. People who haven't gotten a CDL permit should work on the ASAP especially those with very low list numbers. You don't want to rush at the last minute.

Well I for another city government agency and it's always best to have your birth certificate high school diploma or GED all in order. You don't want anything to slow your process down. People who haven't gotten a CDL permit should work on the ASAP especially those with very low list numbers. You don't want to rush at the last minute.

I agree 100%, but not to argue, providing you put these items in a safe place within your home, the amount of time needed to find and obtain these items should be minimal. No need to run off any copies of anything - the H.R. Department will do that at Livingston Street.

However, in my opinion, as stated earlier, obtaining your full work history dating back to high school might be the most challenging part...

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
Typographical error...