B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very happy to hear that after a long wait we are getting called but i have a situation that could use some insight i am list #3xx and have not recieved a letter but i would assume im in the next batch but i am not going to be in the city the weekend of the 25th my question is do they call ppl weekly and if so is it only on fridays to come down for certifications? TIA

Very happy to hear that after a long wait we are getting called but i have a situation that could use some insight i am list #3xx and have not recieved a letter but i would assume im in the next batch but i am not going to be in the city the weekend of the 25th my question is do they call ppl weekly and if so is it only on fridays to come down for certifications?

I would call them up and explain the situation to them...worse comes to worse, if you find that you got a letter when you get back, just make every effort to go down the first chance you can...and no, they call people down every day (except holidays).

I only have the permit with air brakes and passenger. I am scheduled to take my cdl road test in May. If mta calls me first and I pass the mta training, how many chances do I get to pass the DMV portion of the road test? Is it only one try ?

From my reading in the 2613 Exam thread you get two chances up to day nine, if you go to a Day 10 you get one. (Edit: I thought I saw somewhere they were giving folks two tries even at Day 10 but I cannot locate that post.)

I am 21x. No letter yet.

Looks like the top 200 got letters or so it seems

Did anyone below 200, not receive a letter? 

In any event I am going to have to postpone because I do not want to call out and get in trouble with my current employer. I also want to give my employer two weeks notice as I don't want to burn bridges. Passing MTA training with or without CDL's is not a guarantee.

Edited by 161passenger

161passenger. I am referring to the DMV cdl part. I thought if you didn't have the cdl and only had the permit that you had to pass the mta training and then pass a cdl road test thru the DMV. Am I wrong or right?

If you are going through the MTA to get the CDL, it is as follows:

1) Get CDL Permit (prior to drug test)

2) Pass MTA 10-Day Qualification Period

3) Take NYS DMV CDL Road/Skills Test using a MTA bus.

4) Pass road/skill test you get hired by MTA, fail twice (once if you qualify on Day 10) you get terminated.

If you can get the CDL on your own, you go into RTS/line training once you pass the 10-Day qualification period.

161 passanger do you know the protocal of postponing and if so do you get pushed to the back of the list?

Please see: How long does it take to have your name reinstated to a civil service exam list

Keep in mind what is written in this post: Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions

I'll let everyone know exactly what to do, if it comes to it.

Hopefully a letter is in the mail, even the dreaded "Considered, but not selected" notice. I have to disclose a minor mistake I recently made, (not on a police report) and see if that affects my candidacy. 

Edited by 161passenger

UPDATE: My list number is 4.On Friday 11 March, 2016 I received a letter from The City of New York, Department of Citywide Administrative Services, Human Capital/Investigations Unit, 1 Centre Street, New York, NY 10007. The letter reads as follows: Please report to the 21st floor, room 2180 at the date and time shown above (4/25/2016 09:30). This letter was sent to me in order to verify my Veteran status with me supplying the appropriate documentation.

then...

On Saturday March 12, 2016 I received a letter from MTA New York City Transit, 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201. The letter reads as follows: MTA New York City Transit (NYCT) is considering you for a permanent position as a Bus Operator at the salary specified above (22.6992 / Hour) and invites you to our facility at 180 Livingston Street, 5th floor, Brooklyn, NY on March 15, 2016 at 07:30 AM to begin the pre-employment process.

There appears to be a great deal of unknowns about the hiring process here with a huge amount of well meaning albeit fragmented answers.I am sharing this with the community with the hope that this detailed information may add some clarity to the timeline for those like myself who are prospects for the MTA NYCT Bus Operator position. I intend to provide future updates as I progress through the hiring process. Good Luck to All!

To the guy with the expired passport and no birth certificate. Were you born in NY? You can order a birth certificate online. They have an option where if you pay an extra 15 bucks or 20 bucks you can get it shipped via 2day mail. Might be next day mail I forget. Google how to get birth certificate online. It's going to be on a website called vital records, Or something like that forget the name of the website. I got mine a few weeks ago via this method

I would advise anyone without cdl permit and a processing date in the next 7 days to go tomorrow/asap. You will need to be medically certified by a doctor within the registry of doctors before u can obtain the permit. This may back you up a day or two so do not wait. (Like i did)

I would advise anyone without cdl permit and a processing date in the next 7 days to go tomorrow/asap. You will need to be medically certified by a doctor within the registry of doctors before u can obtain the permit. This may back you up a day or two so do not wait. (Like i did)

What? So Transit does not accept the A3 restriction?

Does anyone know if you have to reside in NYC once you're on the job? Can you live in NJ for example?

There is no NYC residency requirements for MTA NYCT Bus Operators. As noted on the "Bus Operator Notice of Examination Exam # 4600: Residency: New York City residency is not required for this positions." This is a direct quote from the exam announcement that I have in my possession. Be forewarned that the MTA NYCT is a system that operates on a very stringent time table. You must be on time for work...All the time every day. If you live far from the operational area of the NYC transit system and rely on other modes of transportation and you can't arrive in time to prepare for your pull out your job and your career will be in jeopardy. 

Edited by Spanky215

Hello all, my list # is 10XX. I have more then 4 points on my drivers abstract will they let me take my name off the list & reinstate it once my record has cleared up or, once they check my record I'm removed without further consideration?

From my experience, once you initially get the letter, you should go down to 180 Livingston Street. Once they run your license, and see the number of points you have, they will tell you to come back when the points disappear. By going down, you are telling Transit that you are still interested in the position, compared to mailing the form back which tells them that you are not interested in the position.

Then, once the points disappear and your license is clean, you can go back down, take the drug test, etc.

I didn't know about the A3 Restriction. If I already have my permit and want to change that, what do I have to do? I hope I can do this before I recieve my letter

Once you receive your medical certificate, run off a copy of this, go to the CDL counter at DMV, give it to them, along with a fee of $17.50, and you will be good to go.