B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok i have an A3 restriction on my cdl permit and just scheduled an appointment with my doc who is registered under dot for a medical certificate on saturday. Hes charging $100 cash. After that I can take it to the dmv monday and pay $17.50 without taking the test over right? I just want to make sure i complete everything right before i have to appear. Thanx guys for all the he

lol 100, there is a place in jfk airport charges 50. from what i understand about a3 is that u cant operate CMV out of state how ever the government agency r exempt from this restriction. so mta r fine?

I don't get it. Don't you get your medical certificate through MTA during the hiring process? I have my CDL B license with A3 restriction. Selected "Excepted Interstate" when I went to the DMV to ammend my drivers license to a class B cdl.

When you go through the hiring process, one of the TA physicians will check you out for a bunch of other things besides what they do for the medical certificate...in the end, if you're good, you don't get anything, which is good. If you do get a "medical hold," then that's something else, which is not good...

Youngnycsubwayfan thank you...but how do i get a medical certificate?

If you're getting it for this, don't worry about it. If you're still curious, send me a PM (Private Message) and I'll elaborate there.

My friend who went through the hiring process said the A3 restriction was fine...

can someone confirm this?

Yes, it's fine...

Yeah it's true I had a3 restriction on my cdl permit too when I did my medical back in January

Thank you!!

The A3 restriction just means you have to drive within the NY state so a DOT Medical is not required. Now if you have the DOT medical then you can choose the option to drive in any state. But you have to renew your medical every 2 years. The A3 restriction is not a problem.

Thank you!!

So just to be clear the A3 restriction is ok when they call you or send you the employment letter. I was gonna take a day off to go get a physical to remove it.

Yes! Don't worry about it!

Non exempted interstate is the one you should get. You must get a dot physical first from a dot qualifying doctor. It's like 75 bucks for the physical. If you do not get the dot physical before getting the permit u will have an A3 restriction which will prevent you from getting the mta job.

For all the people who received the employment paperwork in the mail..... Did you guys also receive a phone call from the mta letting u know they sent you the paperwork and also of the date you are to go down to Livingston st

I finally received my letter, however, I cannot take off from work as I am needed and can get in trouble for doing so. I will call and see if I can reschedule and whether or not a specific situation I had gotten into means I have to wait three years.

No phone call was received.

Ive got a question guys. I'm filling out the motor vehicle license information and it asks if I have any serious moving violations, it doesn't give a time frame (within 3 years etc). Now I know Ive had moving violations a very long time ago but don't remember the dates or years. I pulled my driving abstract online and it shows nothing? what do I write down here? It states that we will be "thoroughly investigated" and that if we lie we will be disqualified. I don't have any need to lie but I don't remember a speeding violation from 12 years ago?

I was looking at past posts but cant seem to find it. Someone here posted a driving typ of cheat sheet for mta buses. I believe it had the heights limits on it...can someone repost that? Thank you. I believe it would be helpful info for those who are getting called

I have a question. I know the MTA requires you to have a license for at least 3 years. Im 28 and have had my permit and driving since a teenager but finally got my license once I was car shopping (had no need to have a drivers license before then) right now i've had a full drivers license for a year and a half....could i be disqualified for not have my full license for 3 years? My license number is the same as my permit so will that cound as having a drivong record

By the way i found the page with that cheat sheet. http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-421?do=findComment&comment=791650

I have a question. I know the MTA requires you to have a license for at least 3 years. Im 28 and have had my permit and driving since a teenager but finally got my license once I was car shopping (had no need to have a drivers license before then) right now i've had a full drivers license for a year and a half....could i be disqualified for not have my full license for 3 years? My license number is the same as my permit so will that cound as having a drivong record

By the way i found the page with that cheat sheet. http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-421?do=findComment&comment=791650

First, you posted the link for the cheat sheets without giving me credit whatsoever? That's nice. I do plan on posting those 'cheat sheets' in this topic/thread, I just need to play around with a new concept in order not to make the webpage as big.

As far as the answer to your question: Yes, you can initially be disqualified. Like I said to someone else, the best is to initially go down there to tell them that you are interested, and, in another year and a half, you can go down there again to take the drug test and to start the process. I would not simply mail them the letter back, because if you do, that means that you are not interested in the position, which is not the case.

Lol sorry bro yes it was your post. Totally didnt look at the name sorry about that

Apology accepted. Like I said, give me time with posting those "cheat sheets" on this thread/topic.

Does anyone know the vision requirement? 

Do you need to have a certain uncorrected vision in order to get the job?

20/40, whether you wear glasses or not.

Young NYC subway fan. Would an entry level separation from the military dq someone? It's not a dishonorable discharge. He was in the military for only 2 weeks. Again it's not a dishonorable discharge that he has just an entry level separation which is basically equivalent to not even being in the military

hey youngnycfan, maybe you can help me out with a previous question I posted,

. I'm filling out the motor vehicle license information and it asks if I have any serious moving violations, it doesn't give a time frame (within 3 years etc). Now I know Ive had moving violations a very long time ago but don't remember the dates or years. I pulled my driving abstract online and it shows nothing? what do I write down here? It states that we will be "thoroughly investigated" and that if we lie we will be disqualified. I don't have any need to lie but I don't remember a speeding violation from 12 years ago?

Maybe you can help me out with a question from earlier: