B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey nycsubway. Was just curious how long it usually takes to memorize the pre trip inspection stuff and the air brakes tests. As far as how many lessons it usually takes for it to sink in.

I took my CDL road test in January of this year.  If you're trying to pass your road test with as few lessons as possible, I recommend you ask your driving instructor if you can record all the pre trip and air brake stuff with your cell phone.  That is what I did on my third lesson when I was overwhelmed with the pre trip and I just practiced everything at home.  Doing it that way I showed up to my lesson everyday focused on driving rather than having the added pressure of learning all that stuff with my road test looming. I passed my road test with eight lessons. 

Yea. I meant like how many driving lessons. Studying outside of the driving lessons I have been doing as well

Again, it depends on the individual. If you call up some of the local driving schools, they have several packages depending on the number of hours you want, and for Ferrari Driving School, where I went, it includes the road test scheduling, fee, and everything related to it.

Nice idea with the cell phone. I have a 'prepaid' cell, therefore I wasn't able to record anything. If you want a big hint as far as what this includes/consists of, check out

and
video, especially the second one for the bus.

hey people are u all able to send private messages if not please inform us because for some reason im not able to do it... thank you

Some of the new members may not be able to...I am in contact with the other moderators to get this rectified for the three [3] of you who I quoted in post # 2304 (see above).

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

I took my CDL road test in January of this year. If you're trying to pass your road test with as few lessons as possible, I recommend you ask your driving instructor if you can record all the pre trip and air brake stuff with your cell phone. That is what I did on my third lesson when I was overwhelmed with the pre trip and I just practiced everything at home. Doing it that way I showed up to my lesson everyday focused on driving rather than having the added pressure of learning all that stuff with my road test looming. I passed my road test with eight lessons.

Did you pass on your first try? I signed up for 6 one hour lessons. U think that's enough? The YouTube videos that psyhcoles and nycsubwayfan showed us really help. I have been watching them like 5-10 times a day. I am going for my 3rd and 4th lesson Saturday and 5th and 6th lesson Sunday. Hopefully that will be enough, my road test is on the 30th

Did you pass on your first try? I signed up for 6 one hour lessons. U think that's enough? The YouTube videos that psyhcoles and nycsubwayfan showed us really help. I have been watching them like 5-10 times a day. I am going for my 3rd and 4th lesson Saturday and 5th and 6th lesson Sunday. Hopefully that will be enough, my road test is on the 30th

I had a problem with the examiner on my first try.  She was on her cellphone multiple times throughout the road test.  I actually had to wait until she finished her conversation for about three minutes after completing my parking and straight backing until she got back on the bus.  I told her she was being unprofessional and what she was doing was very distracting.  After completing the road test and knowing I passed, she told me I failed with 60 points.  I called the DMV right there and filed a complaint against her and got my road test rescheduled for a week later.  Passed with 10 points on my second go.  

Whether or not 6 lessons is enough depends on how you feel about your driving ability.  If you're not confident after your 6th lesson and can afford more lessons, consider booking one or two more.  Maybe do one on the day of the road test if you have enough time.  The extra lessons you take might actually be cheaper than having to rent the bus for the road test and paying the dmv fees again if you don't pass.

Where are you having your road test?

Have you considered two hour lessons? Not only will they be more beneficial (from my experience), but the instructors will have more time with you to do more things and go further places, such as the highway...

Red hook Brooklyn. I live in maspeth but this school in Brooklyn was able to get me the fastest road test so I went with them.

From my experience, all schools say that. Providing you paid the $40.00 road test fee, you can actually book your road test yourself by clicking here. Just make sure that you have a bus available, either through the school, a friend, etc. When I booked my road test online, I called the school immediately after to make sure that a vehicle and instructor were available.

Also, I spoke to one of the other moderators and for "lnvzo1019", "Physcoles" and "bonilla1987", your PM features have been activated.

I had a problem with the examiner on my first try.  She was on her cellphone multiple times throughout the road test.  I actually had to wait until she finished her conversation for about three minutes after completing my parking and straight backing until she got back on the bus.  I told her she was being unprofessional and what she was doing was very distracting.  After completing the road test and knowing I passed, she told me I failed with 60 points.  I called the DMV right there and filed a complaint against her and got my road test rescheduled for a week later.  Passed with 10 points on my second go.  

Whether or not 6 lessons is enough depends on how you feel about your driving ability.  If you're not confident after your 6th lesson and can afford more lessons, consider booking one or two more.  Maybe do one on the day of the road test if you have enough time.  The extra lessons you take might actually be cheaper than having to rent the bus for the road test and paying the dmv fees again if you don't pass.

I had a guy instructor, mean too. The guy that trained me told me he doesn't pass ppl so I was scared to death. I only had 4 lessons, and pass the road test on my first try. Took it in Masepth pretty simple. The pre trip is the hardest part but with practice is easy. Thinking about getting my class A license this summer? If you already have a class b and you're trying to get a class A license do you have to take the road test again?

Red hook Brooklyn. I live in maspeth but this school in Brooklyn was able to get me the fastest road test so I went with them.

I did mines in Maspeth. Here are some tips I can give you,

Make sure you call every hazard, from every overpass, vehicles double parked, cars cutting you off etc.

When getting off the highway make sure you slow down. Don't just look straight, keep observing you surroundings & mirrors

Your driving school probably told you this, but before reversing the bus to park, turn bus off, take keys with you & let the inspector know that you're going to do a physical check of the rear of the bus. I was told if you don't do that that's an automatic failure.

Nice. Good job yo0910. I live in Maspeth lol. I am taking my road test in Red Hook, Brooklyn tho. Your 4 lessons were they 1 hour each lesson or 1 and a half hours?

It was an hour, but the guy gave me 20 extra minutes. I made it seem like I knew how to drive a bus I was scared my first try lol but that's the thing once you knock the nervousness it's pretty easy, my second lesson I was whipping it lol. The pre trip is the hardest part cause you have to memorize when checking the outside, master lights, grill, bumper, headlights, check for leaks, check underneath, the thread of the tires, u-bolts and springs breaks, lug nuts are tight etc. And when you're backing up, you have to get out the back and check if the back is clear. So safe to say the driving part is the easiest part lol. Now driving a school bus

Yea same thing with me. First lesson I was nervous and getting used to the big steering wheel and the air brakes. The 2nd lesson was cake and driving was a breeze. The part that has me worried is the stuff you mentioned, the pre trip inspection stuff, and the air brakes test, all tho that is a bit easier to remember then the pre trip inspection. Hopefully I'll get it down pat, have 2 two hour lessons Saturday and Sunday. Thanks for the advice man.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT DMV TOAD TEST:::

When doing your air brakes test there are 6 steps. Some of the dmv instructors will stop you after your 2nd or 3rd and say OK now parallel park. DO NOT PROCEED until you have completed ALL air brake tests. I promise you this will happen and i know people who have failed because of this. Something to keep in mind for those of you going soon.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT DMV TOAD TEST:::

When doing your air brakes test there are 6 steps. Some of the dmv instructors will stop you after your 2nd or 3rd and say OK now parallel park. DO NOT PROCEED until you have completed ALL air brake tests. I promise you this will happen and i know people who have failed because of this. Something to keep in mind for those of you going soon.

I have heard of that too