B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

I'm very excited right now, Listed at #82x. Just came back from DMV, passed written test general with air brakes, passenger, and school bus with NI ($90 for DOT medical). Also included Tank since I'm on list for sanitation. Road test prep here I come. Thanks to everyone who has posted their exprince so far, it's been real helpful.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very excited right now, Listed at #82x. Just came back from DMV, passed written test general with air brakes, passenger, and school bus with NI ($90 for DOT medical). Also included Tank since I'm on list for sanitation. Road test prep here I come. Thanks to everyone who has posted their exprince so far, it's been real helpful.

Great job now thats the way you do it @dac9050

Thanks guys! It was pretty easy. I had a fair DMV inspector. I got 15 points taken off. Forgot something on the pre trip. The part where u ask him to help you check if your signals, master light and brake light are working, where he is outside while you do the brake, signal and master light test. other then that was smooth sailing. I did mess up a tiny bit on my parallel park as I parked a tiny bit too far from the curb, all tho I did that on purpose as I would rather have been to far then hitting the curb. He asked me if I wanted to do it again I said sure ( make sure u again secure the vehicle, take the key and physically inspect outside again, even tho I was doing the parallel park again from the same spot you still have to re check outside the back of the bus). 2nd parallel park was right on point. There was no railroad to go over in red hook so he just asked me if this corner was a railroad what would you do, i did not have to actually do it as he just wanted to make sure I knew what I was supposed to do. All in all he was a good and fair inspector. I did use a school, a place called NYC CDL Auto Club, it's out of Sheepshead Bay Bk. I am from Queens but I used them cause they were able to get me a road test date in 12 days from he date I called them which was awesome.

....There was no railroad to go over in red hook so he just asked me if this corner was a railroad what would you do, i did not have to actually do it as he just wanted to make sure I knew what I was supposed to do....

I did hear that Red Hook is an easier obstacle course compared to Maspeth. I just had to go to Maspeth twice since the first road test was in a tractor-trailer, and for the second road test, my lessons were out of Ferrari's Long Island City location since I wanted to take the test in a manual transmission bus, just to be on the safe side.

@youngnycsubwayfan. In your opinion my list # is 58* when do you think I might get called?

Stepurgameup your defetnely getting called this year barring a huge hiring freeze. Educated guess would be in 2-5 months. It all Depends on their hiring needs

Off the top of my mind, I would say within 18 months....over the upcoming weekend, I'll do some mathematical computations, make an educated guess based on this & I'll get back to you.

youngnycsubway. Yea I heard Red Hook was easier then Maspeth as well. The funny thing is I grew up in Maspeth and my mother still lives there lol. To be honest tho I really think it's all about the inspector, no matter where you take it. If you get an inspector that's fair or an inspector in a good mood you have a better shot then if you get one on a bad mood, no mater where you take it. I honestly feel for the most part that the inspectors can tell within 60 seconds of the person driving if they are going to pass them or fail them.

I had a fender bender on 12/20/2015 where no police report was filed so Geico paid for my damages as well as the other party's.  I ran by abstract and it showed up.  Does this disqualify my from the position.  I was told by Geico that it wouldn't appear on the abstract since there was no report.  Is there a way to have it removed?

BTW I did work as an operator for two year with MABSTOA back in 99-2000 and resigned with no violations or incidents.

youngnycsubway. Yea I heard Red Hook was easier then Maspeth as well. The funny thing is I grew up in Maspeth and my mother still lives there lol. To be honest tho I really think it's all about the inspector, no matter where you take it. If you get an inspector that's fair or an inspector in a good mood you have a better shot then if you get one on a bad mood, no mater where you take it. I honestly feel for the most part that the inspectors can tell within 60 seconds of the person driving if they are going to pass them or fail them.

I agree, but not necessarily. The reason why is because, in Maspeth, there are two [2] railroad crossings, and if you screw up on one of them, including forgetting to stop, you automatically fail.

I had a fender bender on 12/20/2015 where no police report was filed so Geico paid for my damages as well as the other party's.  I ran by abstract and it showed up.  Does this disqualify my from the position.  I was told by Geico that it wouldn't appear on the abstract since there was no report.  Is there a way to have it removed?

BTW I did work as an operator for two year with MABSTOA back in 99-2000 and resigned with no violations or incidents.

Unfortunately, from my perspective/understanding, it does disqualify you temporarily. However, it also depends on your list number too. As of now, if I am correct, if your license stays clean, you will be good to go in December of 2018. Now, depending on the TA's hiring needs, if your list number comes up in December of 2018, then you are good to go.

I honestly don't think there is any way to get it removed...sorry.

I know ive stated this before , but ill repeat it since its relevant. I was hired exactly 1 year after i had an AT FAULT accident with 0 injuries and minimal damage , around 1500$.

Just specify with paperwork exactly what happened and do not lie and you will be fine.

You can try & plead your case by calling DMV and speaking with Driver Improvement Unit, 518-474-0774..

If successful they should be able to get it removed.. If not, then it will still show on your abstract.

Accidents do not disqualify I was told the same thing had me thinking I wasn't going to get the job but I got hired. I had a accident on feb 14 2013 got hired in Spring 2015

If you call the mta hr and ask them if accidents automatically disqualify for there going to tell you no that's what I did

I agree, but not necessarily. The reason why is because, in Maspeth, there are two [2] railroad crossings, and if you screw up on one of them, including forgetting to stop, you automatically fail.

Unfortunately, from my perspective/understanding, it does disqualify you temporarily. However, it also depends on your list number too. As of now, if I am correct, if your license stays clean, you will be good to go in December of 2018. Now, depending on the TA's hiring needs, if your list number comes up in December of 2018, then you are good to go.

I honestly don't think there is any way to get it removed...sorry.

I messed up on the railroad crossing at Maspeth and the examiner didn't fail me however she deducted 15 points. I didn't even realiz that i stopped pass the gate until she called it out. She was really nice i agree it depends on the examiner because any other examiner probably would've failed me.

Yep I agree. I think it's has to do with a combo of both the examiner you have and also the way the examiner feels about your driving skills. I really think the examiner can tell within 30 seconds if you can drive or not. If you mess up a little on the railroad crossing but the examiner feels you can drive maybe that's why they only took 15 off instead of auto fail. I don't know just my analogy, I could be mistaken lol.

Thanks guys! It was pretty easy. I had a fair DMV inspector. I got 15 points taken off. Forgot something on the pre trip. The part where u ask him to help you check if your signals, master light and brake light are working, where he is outside while you do the brake, signal and master light test. other then that was smooth sailing. I did mess up a tiny bit on my parallel park as I parked a tiny bit too far from the curb, all tho I did that on purpose as I would rather have been to far then hitting the curb. He asked me if I wanted to do it again I said sure ( make sure u again secure the vehicle, take the key and physically inspect outside again, even tho I was doing the parallel park again from the same spot you still have to re check outside the back of the bus). 2nd parallel park was right on point. There was no railroad to go over in red hook so he just asked me if this corner was a railroad what would you do, i did not have to actually do it as he just wanted to make sure I knew what I was supposed to do. All in all he was a good and fair inspector. I did use a school, a place called NYC CDL Auto Club, it's out of Sheepshead Bay Bk. I am from Queens but I used them cause they were able to get me a road test date in 12 days from he date I called them which was awesome.

Follow up on the training school. What kind of package deal did you get? Affordable?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk