B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guy/gals I've been watching this thread for a long time but now I've decided to post because I'm getting anxious b/c I'm list number 2xx and soon will be called.. I have 2 questions one should be easy for anybody who went through the process and it's Is the drug test and medical the same thing? and the second is for someone in the first 200 that was called which is Did they give yall any time frame on when the training will start? or is there another process you have to go through I know they gave yall the medical and had to fill out the paperwork but what's next after that? just trying to get a time frame in my head on when I'll be working providing I pass the training...Thanks in advance

Hey guy/gals I've been watching this thread for a long time but now I've decided to post because I'm getting anxious b/c I'm list number 2xx and soon will be called.. I have 2 questions one should be easy for anybody who went through the process and it's Is the drug test and medical the same thing? and the second is for someone in the first 200 that was called which is Did they give yall any time frame on when the training will start? or is there another process you have to go through I know they gave yall the medical and had to fill out the paperwork but what's next after that? just trying to get a time frame in my head on when I'll be working providing I pass the training...Thanks in advance

From my experience in late 2013 & early 2014 with B/O 2613 (and failed the 10-day session), here is my response:

The definition of a "drug test" is when you urinate in a cup and it gets sent to test for illegal drugs, such as heroin, cocaine, etc. Simple as that.

The definition of "medical" is, after filling out a questionnaire on a computer, which will later be printed, a physician will have a brief interview, followed by you (the candidate) changing into a gown for the physician to examine you. If you go through one of these threads, there is specific information on what the Physician does look for. (When I do find the link, I'll post it...it's just going to take some time.) After you pass medical, especially if you were placed on medical hold for something, comes final processing.

Final processing is when they look over your paperwork, enter you into their computer for payroll purposes, swear you in, take your fingerprints, and give you a date of when to report to Zerega for training. This could vary from a couple of days, to a week or two, depending upon when final processing is, if the class is already filled or not, etc.

Hopefully this answers your question. From looking over this thread here and there, it's the same procedure that I went through in late 2013 and early 2014.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Also Youngnycsubway, I'm sorry to hear you failed the 10-day test, do you actually work for the MTA yet? I see you post on the Conductor thread also, did you take your test yet? if not good luck.. I just took mine on the 9th seems pretty easy. And the way you answer these questions you would think you're at least a 10 year vet on the job

Thanks Youngnycsubway you answered my questions. You're the man, you help everybody with their questions.

You're welcome.

Also Youngnycsubway, I'm sorry to hear you failed the 10-day test, do you actually work for the MTA yet? I see you post on the Conductor thread also, did you take your test yet? if not good luck.. I just took mine on the 9th seems pretty easy. And the way you answer these questions you would think you're at least a 10 year vet on the job

It's okay...besides that, I do not work for the MTA yet. I am supposed to take the Conductor test on April 23rd in the afternoon. As far as being a "10 year vet"..I appreciate the comment.

Nycsubway. When you took the training for the bus. Which part would you say is the easiest and which part would you say is the hardest?

From what I recall, the hardest in general was Manhattan, especially with all of the taxicabs, trucks double parked, etc. The easiest was the highway driving, except watching the entrance ramps for cars. Also, keep in mind that at the time, I only had a Class A Permit with Passenger Endorsement and no prior experience in a commercial vehicle. Now, with me having a road test in a tractor trailer and a bus behind me, in addition to having experience in a big bus (which is what I currently do), my 10-day intense training session would have been a lot different.

In addition, the instructor I had gave us these handouts on Day 3 or 4 to look over, which, from my perspective, was not a lot of time to not only memorize, but also be familiar with as well. Therefore, if you familiarize yourself with these, especially the last two, you'll be ahead of the pack. Just note that the pre-trip checkoff list is for the 2008/2009 Daimler buses, which can be seen here and here.

Referring back to post #s 2435 and 2436  (see above), if you look at this post in the Track Worker thread, this post, this post, and this page (posts 4884 and 4886), this should give you an idea of what to expect in medical.

Hopefully this helps.

I heard driving in the city can be a bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely! I did quite a bit of express my first few months. I'm telling you, there's an accident waiting to happen constantly. Between the taxis (with Uber now etc. they are everywhere!), pedestrians, and bicyclists, you need to be aware every single second. You're driving a 40,000 lb vehicle and they simply don't care. I think the bicyclists are the worst. They dart out right in front of your bus without a care in the world. The taxis you can see fairly easy, the pedestrians are slow moving, but the bicyclists are smaller than a taxi and faster than a pedestrian, so for me personally, they are the biggest hazard for us. That being said, as pointed out in the beginning of my posts, they're all a potential accident. For those that make it and start line training, don't let your fellow operator (during line training) push you into driving more aggressively than you're comfortable with. That will come slowly with time. You do need to be aggressive to make your way around better, but better to wait until you're more skilled and seasoned. Hope I'm making sense for everyone.

Absolutely! I did quite a bit of express my first few months. I'm telling you, there's an accident waiting to happen constantly. Between the taxis (with Uber now etc. they are everywhere!), pedestrians, and bicyclists, you need to be aware every single second. You're driving a 40,000 lb vehicle and they simply don't care. I think the bicyclists are the worst. They dart out right in front of your bus without a care in the world. The taxis you can see fairly easy, the pedestrians are slow moving, but the bicyclists are smaller than a taxi and faster than a pedestrian, so for me personally, they are the biggest hazard for us. That being said, as pointed out in the beginning of my posts, they're all a potential accident. For those that make it and start line training, don't let your fellow operator (during line training) push you into driving more aggressively than you're comfortable with. That will come slowly with time. You do need to be aggressive to make your way around better, but better to wait until you're more skilled and seasoned. Hope I'm making sense for everyone.

These cabs and bicyclists are crazy the way the move. I mean just driving a car in Manhattan can be crazy. I always just take my time but, you see potential problems everywhere. Cabs runs right light as if it's nothing and, cutting you off to get a fare and not even using turn signals. If you can drive in Manhattan in rush hour you can drive anywhere no doubt about it.

Mother Clara Hale depot in Manhattan is the only TA depot in the Bronx or manhatt

So if someone gets hired under TA if they gona work kn manhattan it can only be in that depot or u can go to any depot it doesnt matter if ur TA? And thanks for the reply just want to get that clarify

I have been tryin to send private messages for a long time now and i dont get the option is it because im new to the page and i have to wait some time or is that option no longer available?

Mother Clara Hale depot in Manhattan is the only TA depot in the Bronx or manhatt

Mother Clara Hale is a depot the serves Manhattan and the Bronx.

So if someone gets hired under TA if they gona work kn manhattan it can only be in that depot or u can go to any depot it doesnt matter if ur TA? And thanks for the reply just want to get that clarify

I have been tryin to send private messages for a long time now and i dont get the option is it because im new to the page and i have to wait some time or is that option no longer available?

I would assume they would place you where they need you but I could be wrong.

Mother Clara Hale is a depot the serves Manhattan and the Bronx.

I would assume they would place you where they need you but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the reply..

How about sendin private messages is that option no longer available on the site i have been subscribed for 1 month now and still can send private messages or add friends any idea why?

MCH depot is a OA depot. The only TA depot in Manhattan was 126 St. Which is currently closed. TA operators can pick at Brooklyn , Staten Island, Manhattan and Bronx. Sometimes depending on hiring needs, you can be forced to go to any depot that needs operators without you even having a choice to pick.

MCH depot is a OA depot. The only TA depot in Manhattan was 126 St. Which is currently closed. TA operators can pick at Brooklyn , Staten Island, Manhattan and Bronx. Sometimes depending on hiring needs, you can be forced to go to any depot that needs operators without you even having a choice to pick.

Ok kool so TA can work in manhattan and bronx that was my concern thanks for the reply

How about sendin private messages is that option no longer available on the site i have been subscribed for 1 month now and still can send private messages or add friends any idea why?

I'll look into this...give me a few days.

There's no TA depot in Queens?

First, I will say that it is ultimately up to the hiring needs. I did hear from a few people, who passed the 10-day training session, compared to me, that at first, they had to pick whichever depot had vacancies for drivers, however, he/she were able to eventually transfer to either a Queens or Staten Island Depot, based on where they lived, their commute, etc.

Now, as far as TA/OA, from my perspective:

MaBSTOA = Manhattan and The Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority, which is any depot in Manhattan & The Bronx, respectively.

TA = NYC Transit, which is any depot within the 5 boroughs, including Queens. In addition, from my understanding, once you pick into a Queens or Staten Island Depot, that is it!! In other words, you cannot transfer out, or transfer to another depot for whatever reason as a Bus Operator. Now, as a Bus Operator, if you get promoted to Train Operator, Superintendent of the Dept. of Buses, then that's a different story.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Ta is the best gives you the option to work anywhere in New York city once a there's opening but queens and Staten Island are separate division. Plus ta basically means your a city worker and you recieve city pensions if your is your consider state work and recidve state pensions. From my understanding ta pension are slightly better

If your oa is state pensions

First, I will say that it is ultimately up to the hiring needs. I did hear from a few people, who passed the 10-day training session, compared to me, that at first, they had to pick whichever depot had vacancies for drivers, however, he/she were able to eventually transfer to either a Queens or Staten Island Depot, based on where they lived, their commute, etc.

MaBSTOA = Manhattan and The Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority, which is any depot in Manhattan & The Bronx, respectively.

TA = NYC Transit, which is any depot within the 5 boroughs, including Queens. In addition, from my understanding, once you pick into a Queens or Staten Island Depot, that is it!! In other words, you cannot transfer out, or transfer to another depot for whatever reason as a Bus Operator. Now, as a Bus Operator, if you get promoted to Train Operator, Superintendent of the Dept. of Buses, then that's a different story.

Nice thanks for the respond...

Ta is the best gives you the option to work anywhere in New York city once a there's opening but queens and Staten Island are separate division. Plus ta basically means your a city worker and you recieve city pensions if your is your consider state work and recidve state pensions. From my understanding ta pension are slightly better If your oa is state pensions

Defenitly good to know thanks alot .

The only TA depot in Queens are Jamaica , Queens Village and Casey Stengel.

In order to be promoted to Superintendent in any division, You must first become a Dispatcher (Supervisor).  If you will like to stay within the Dept of Buses you will get promoted for either  "Big Buses" Division, or Paratransit Division "Access A Ride". 

Ta is the best gives you the option to work anywhere in New York city once a there's opening but queens and Staten Island are separate division. Plus ta basically means your a city worker and you recieve city pensions if your is your consider state work and recidve state pensions. From my understanding ta pension are slightly better

If your oa is state pensions

TA is better overall. OA currently is the biggies Agency when it comes to Bus operators in the field compare to TA. With TA like Youngnyc mention above, You can actually transfer to become a Train Operator easily.