B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Humbleguy38 said:

today the first day on the road in queens it feels good to be in my home town where i grew up have the q85 and q3 today

Nice, Made it on day 9.. Omg what a day at Harlem.. day 10 is to report at Jamaica depo to learn other buses.... 

Today I was on the B3 going to KP(Kings Plaza) and the B/O was flying. The operator blew through yellows. I think the operator was late, but if your late stay late. I never complain but the way the operator was braking was horrible. I felt like it was a Nascar race lol...... I wonder how that operator made it qualifying during the training. 

1 hour ago, FutureBOtoTO said:

Today I was on the B3 going to KP(Kings Plaza) and the B/O was flying. The operator blew through yellows. I think the operator was late, but if your late stay late. I never complain but the way the operator was braking was horrible. I felt like it was a Nascar race lol...... I wonder how that operator made it qualifying during the training. 

Lol very simple he qualified during training. During training you are trying to get the job so you will only do the safest procedures as possible. The more time you have on the job, is the more bad habits you start to develop. Thats one of the reasons you get random check rides by management to insure you are doing what you suppose to do and every birthday year you have to get 19a recertification to make sure you still practice good defensive driving skills.

Some routes or run is not worth getting a late slip. For instance if you are scheduled for a 40 minute break or more, but you ended up blowing your entire break because you were so late within the schedule, you will only get a lost meal time of 20 mins which sucks compares to your normal 40 to an hour break. That operator on the B3 did a non excuse action especially with that weather climate.

On 10/29/2017 at 6:33 PM, DueceDrives said:

Some routes or run is not worth getting a late slip. For instance if you are scheduled for a 40 minute break or more, but you ended up blowing your entire break because you were so late within the schedule, you will only get a lost meal time of 20 mins which sucks compares to your normal 40 to an hour break. That operator on the B3 did a non excuse action especially with that weather climate.

You are allowed 30 minutes if you blow your swing with the new contract.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:59 PM, DueceDrives said:

Yes but it seems like yoir instructor is doing things a bit in a hurry. Usually the 19a is on day 7 

I see where you're coming from but its Ok......if he wants you to speed the bus just follow his instructions and don't try to over rule his demands. But always keep in mind the postal speed limits. Call it out and try to act up on it unless hes instructing you to put a little notch on the pedal.

Yes as long you setup your turn and ready to move when its safe, he really should not hold it against you unless you're still stuck in place and the other traffic cars that had the red light turns green starts to move in. If you dont start to move before the other vehicles make action and you end up stuck, that becomes poor judgement and unsafe. So soon its clear start to make your action where the other traffic vehicles will have to wait till you clear.

Sorry if I dont get to reply quickly. I do the hawk schedule (1am -10am) so im like 💤 lol but  from the way it sounds like your instructor is a bit the difficult one and wants actions which is not bad. He wants you to move that bus like a "Bus Operator" meaning to operate that bus in action without being stuck during traffic or making slow maneuvers to get you caught up. Word of advise is to do as he say or tought you. Every Supt is different 

While yes and no. If you go too fast through those pillars and hit it will be your job. The supt will still have a job.

But the ones that was on top of me saying drive the bus, I felt more comfortable with, not being too scared and cautious when I was going too slow. 

When your on  the  streets and you're alone ZEREGA and MTA will pull every camera and the black box to see what was happening, how fast etc you was operating the bus. As long as you follow protocol you will be okay.

Hi all, 

My apologies for all these questions, just wanna get everything covered.

I had moved out of state in DEC 2015 and forgot to change my address, I just found out 2 weeks ago that I was called to come in back in OCT 2016 and my listing # was low 1200's. I spoke to Mrs Chestnut and she advised to go down to Center Street and place myself back on the list (Took me like 150 calls to get through to her; however, she was very pleasant and helpful) but I havent been able to get her back to ask additional questions.

I just placed myself back on the listing and got my CDL permit. Do you know if you are offered options of training dates or you just have to take what's offered? I really would like to get my full CDL before I go in, plus I have to work out NY living arrangments and give my current job notice. Do you know if there are any training dates in DEC? Any Idea If all goes well how long it takes from being called in to training? I'm kinda hoping for sometime in JAN so I can get things together.

Thanks for your time and assistance.