B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My list number is in the 5000, how long you guys think it would take to reach in the 5000 mark.  I only got the cdl permit, if I end up trying to get the licence with mta, would they train to help you pass for road test?

57 minutes ago, Cruz said:

My list number is in the 5000, how long you guys think it would take to reach in the 5000 mark.  I only got the cdl permit, if I end up trying to get the licence with mta, would they train to help you pass for road test?

To be honest with you, its best to get your license on your own and at least out of the way with stress. The MTA training is not a CDL training school, its a training to see whether or not you can professionally and safely execute the job through the boroughs under mass traffic and execute defensive driving skills under pressure. The Supt Instructors has zero patience and will be directing you on how to do things but expects on the qualifing day you execute everything perfect to obtain the job. Its like walking into a training academy to get a position. 

Get your car before going to the mta training. As deuce said the mta training is no joke. It is very stressful. Worrying about qualifying then having to worry about the DMV road test is a lot to have on your mind.  A girl on my training bus qualified with the mta training day 7 which is the earliest day you can qualify.  Because she qualified before day 10 she had 2 chances to pass the DMV road test.  She failed both her attempts at the DMV road test and was forced to resign.  You don't want that added stress of having to worry about the DMV road test. Get the cdl. If you don't have the money try to burrow it from someone or ask to use someone credit card or something. Well worth it my friend. 

On 12/3/2017 at 5:05 AM, Invzo1019 said:

Get your car before going to the mta training. As deuce said the mta training is no joke. It is very stressful. Worrying about qualifying then having to worry about the DMV road test is a lot to have on your mind.  A girl on my training bus qualified with the mta training day 7 which is the earliest day you can qualify.  Because she qualified before day 10 she had 2 chances to pass the DMV road test.  She failed both her attempts at the DMV road test and was forced to resign.  You don't want that added stress of having to worry about the DMV road test. Get the cdl. If you don't have the money try to burrow it from someone or ask to use someone credit card or something. Well worth it my friend. 

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks 

On 12/2/2017 at 3:48 PM, DueceDrives said:

To be honest with you, its best to get your license on your own and at least out of the way with stress. The MTA training is not a CDL training school, its a training to see whether or not you can professionally and safely execute the job through the boroughs under mass traffic and execute defensive driving skills under pressure. The Supt Instructors has zero patience and will be directing you on how to do things but expects on the qualifing day you execute everything perfect to obtain the job. Its like walking into a training academy to get a position. 

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, Scott24 said:

How did your medical go today ? Do they give you information right there when you’re done or do you wait for another call or email ? 

Medical is the final process in order to move on the next stage which would be hiring process. After medical and the TA doctor clears you, the next step is finger printing, photo taken for your ID pass, and you sit with the hr manager going over some paper work and telling you a few instructions and what day you have to report to the School room “The Bronx”. All of this happens the same day after clearing medical 

Edited by DueceDrives

7 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

Medical is the final process in order to move on the next stage which would be hiring process. After medical and the TA doctor clears you, the next step is finger printing, photo taken for your ID pass, and you sit with the hr manager going over some paper work and telling you a few instructions and what day you have to report to the School room “The Bronx”. All of this happens the same day after clearing medical 

So it’s Safe to give in a resignation after the medical day?

31 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

Negative........ You still dont have the job until you pass the two weeks intense training. If you have vacation weeks from your current employer or short term absent, use it.  

Thanks for the info. I’ll have to weigh my available options. I don’t have enough time to cover 2 weeks. 

Congrats to all those who are about to start class. I just completed my medical today and will start class on the 26th. I only have my permit so taking lessons before then as much as i can. Ms. Richardson told me you could certify on day 6 and TA gives you 3 chances for the dmv.... how true is this? I heard its only one shot for the road test.