E near Queens Plaza Manhattan Bound delaying

alekr

What up with the (E) when I ride the Manhattan Bound (E) on the weekdays I noticed that it was going fast from Roosevelt Ave then it just stops short from Queens Plaza. I could see the red signal. But it was so close to the Queens Plaza Station I could also see the platform right there and the announcements blaring "This is Queens Plaza" but all I see is the tunnel.

Why cannot the (E) train pulls in the station and wait in there for the other (E) / (M) trains to clear up then can proceed?

And let's say there is a big problem up ahead.The train just sits there? Or they let it halfway in and discharge?

Well based on my past two experiences, if that happens, the first car will go into the station enough for them to key the first door open and passengers would exit that way.

What's the potential problem?

Potential problem? Idiots crying "Goodbye cruel world" and jumping on to the tracks

I guess the question is, how does preventing the train from having to stop at a red signal halfway down the platform improve safety? To me, the practice does make sense, however from a logical standpoint it would seem that stopping partway down the platform would cause the train to be operating slower, which could theoretically improve safety as stopping time would be lowered. 

I speculate that this is to prevent a hypothetical passenger on a train stopped halfway into the station from becoming frustrated with the delay, and attempting to exit the train from in between cars, climbing over the gates. A non-issue on 75 foot cars with locked doors, but for much of the fleet I could see this being a potential problem. Again - pure speculation. 

• 1 month later...

Actually, it's to prevent C/R's from mistakenly thinking the train has made a full station stop and opening the doors, with half the train out in the tunnel, passengers possibly, and most likely, falling onto the tracks.

Yes, I know they're suppose to point at the C/R board, but that rule is supposed to be for the ONE time a C/R doesn't, looks up, sees the station and pops the doors open with half the train in the hole.

It's actually for both what you mentioned and the fact that people would try to climb on or off in between cars as has been tried in the past and most recently in May when a young DJ did it to retrieve a phone dropped on the tracks in the Bronx.

As per rule trains are not to proceed into stations unless the signal at the middle of the platform is clear. This is for the safety of passengers.

There must be an invisible signal that I don't know about by Mosholu then. When there are two trains at Woodlawn and another train before the switch by Woodlawn, the train coming into Mosholu waits short of the station at a yellow, even though there's no signal mid-platform on track 4 AFAIK.

Before, the train used to take the yellow before the station, pull in to Mosholu and sit at the station until the signal after the station changes from danger to yellow or green.

I would think the new way at Mosholu would be more dangerous if it wasnt for those door enablers, a C/R not paying attention could just pop the doors open and have the passengers take a  5 foot drop to the track level then a 20-30 foot drop to the street.

It's actually for both what you mentioned and the fact that people would try to climb on or off in between cars as has been tried in the past and most recently in May when a young DJ did it to retrieve a phone dropped on the tracks in the Bronx.

You are correct, that it is both. I've seen people climb onto the train via the car ends, between cars, when they just missed the train, mostly on the R32's and older, not so much on the 75ft cars or the NTT's.

And I remember hearing about that DJ, climbed down between the cars at 241st, got electrocuted and then run over when the train pulled out.

Archived