Let's Talk Subway and Bus Signage

BrooklynBus

Well it seems that signage has always never been perfect. There are many stop in New York City that have the wrong route there like on Jamaica ave near 101st the sign list Q56 and QM3. Jewel Ave and Parsons Blvd list the QM24 and so on. And 80% of MTA bus routes still have the old bus stop sign which I wonder when they are going to be replaced because it does not tell you where the bus terminates at.

I find the signage good enough. And after reading Helvetica and the NYC Subway, I find it needs no changing at all. Signs in the subway used to post approximate times that certain lines would run. But since delays and service changes always have a chance of occurring, that was kind of useless. But that was from 1966-the Mid-80s. Even surviving the sign color inversion.

Well even with subway signage the MTA doesn't thinks things like that is important and would rather spend their money on others things.

I tend to disagree but as far as bus street signage is concerned, I shoud have stated that DOT didn't finish the job, not the MTA.

I find the signage good enough. And after reading Helvetica and the NYC Subway, I find it needs no changing at all. Signs in the subway used to post approximate times that certain lines would run. But since delays and service changes always have a chance of occurring, that was kind of useless. But that was from 1966-the Mid-80s. Even surviving the sign color inversion.

I agree the signage is pretty good and the MTA also recently revamped the temporary signage. But there are still places where signs referring to evenings or nights are not specific enough.

Bus stop signage information is provided by the MTA. It is than implemented, and supposed to be updated by DOT. As far as subway signage is concerned, that's %100 on MTA to maintain and update.

Archived