Nostalgia train tomorrow!

Abba

So this one is not public your saying? Would be nice to ride with those guys.ill have to see if i would go on the other one.

The article said 10:30.ill have to see

Can I go to the ribbon cutting or that also if for elected officials only?

I'm hearing that there will be a 10 AM run to Rock Park from Howard Beach for dignitaries only. After the whole ribbon cutting and whatever, there will be a public run from Rock Park to 168th. Not sure about it being local/express or anything like that.

This is all correct, except that it will arrive at Howard beach at 1030. The first run will be for invitees only, and then after the ribbon cutting there will be a PUBLIC run out of Rock Park - The R9 out of Rock Park will be the FIRST revenue service train to run in the Rockaways, after which regular (A) & (S) service will be given the clear to begin making stops in the Rockaways (so around noon?). The R9 will make all stops from Rock Park to Howard Beach, then Euclid, and then express stops to 168.

The (MTA) posted these on their Facebook page:

A ceremonial Nostalgia Train passes Hammels Wye on its way uptown on Thursday, May 30, 2013, marking the return of regular passenger service to the Rockaways after Hurricane Sandy.

969050_10151483200944091_1388041929_n.jp

7195_10151483200829091_166157581_n.jpg

There are more here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151483200054091.1073741837.250313209090&type=3

Ah, somebody in Planning must have had a good time with that banner. If anybody doesn't recognize it, that's a throwback to the first run to the Rockaways...

history_img_75688.jpg

nycsubway.org photo

Btw, that train must have been out there a while today, cause I caught it northbound at 145th (totally by accident) at around 2:05...

The train was late. I waited a long time at High Street. I hopped on at Fulton, and I asked someone if it left late. Apparently, it left at 12:26 and was flagged down the way. It was a nice ride, though, especially from Columbus Circle to 125th Street.

I didn't bother.  The MTA clearly intended for this train to be ridden by people from the Rockaways as an inaugural-type thing.  Having it start out of Rock Park instead of 168th Street was clearly a move designed to minimize the amount of foamers on that run.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I even agree with this sort of strategy, except that it makes things a PITA for ordinary folks such as myself who just so happen to be interested in transportation.  Moral of the story- one does not simply have time for the Q35.

I didn't bother.  The MTA clearly intended for this train to be ridden by people from the Rockaways as an inaugural-type thing.  Having it start out of Rock Park instead of 168th Street was clearly a move designed to minimize the amount of foamers on that run.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I even agree with this sort of strategy, except that it makes things a PITA for ordinary folks such as myself who just so happen to be interested in transportation.  Moral of the story- one does not simply have time for the Q35.

I don't think it was an anti-foamer thing, I think it was just to make it more ceremonial in the Rockaways. Empty train that they can send off with ribbon-cutting, pomp and pride, etc. The first sentence was right: it was a celebration of Rockaway service, so it began in the Rockaways.

I don't think it was an anti-foamer thing, I think it was just to make it more ceremonial in the Rockaways. Empty train that they can send off with ribbon-cutting, pomp and pride, etc. The first sentence was right: it was a celebration of Rockaway service, so it began in the Rockaways.

And, in particular, it began at Rockaway Park, which has been closed for 7 months.

Were there two museum trains? They didn't run the R16 and R1 in the same train, right? (totally different braking systems).

R16? You mean the R16 in the photo from 1956? No, that didn't run today. I don't think the museum has an operable R16.

Not every nostalgia train is intended for foamers. And this one definitely wasn't.

That's precisely what I was getting at.  They knew few people would be willing to make the trip by bus out there, thus ensuring that the 'clientele' was limited to regular Rockaway commuters (once the bureaucrats had taken their own inaugaral trip, of course).

R16? You mean the R16 in the photo from 1956? No, that didn't run today. I don't think the museum has an operable R16.

Oh, OK. The picture looked new (the tracks looked newly rebuilt, so I assumed this was from yesterday), but I guess that was when they were first built, then.

Oh, OK. The picture looked new (the tracks looked newly rebuilt, so I assumed this was from yesterday), but I guess that was when they were first built, then.

Yeah, that was why I linked it. It was a bit of an inside joke the MTA did with the sign, putting the same sign on the R1-9 set they ran Thursday as they did on the R16s when the line first opened.

That's precisely what I was getting at.  They knew few people would be willing to make the trip by bus out there, thus ensuring that the 'clientele' was limited to regular Rockaway commuters (once the bureaucrats had taken their own inaugaral trip, of course).

No, they didn't care how many foamers showed up. The point of the train was to celebrate the reopening of the Flats and of Rockaway Park. It ran following the reopening ceremony of Rockaway Park. The Rockaway Park reopening ceremony was, naturally, at Rockaway Park. So the train ran out of Rockaway Park.

Anybody who didn't want to make the trip to Rockaway Park by bus could have boarded at Beach 90th or at Howard Beach.

Archived