Invoice for Fare Not Paid

C716

I received an 'Invoice for Fare Not Paid' with a value of $4.00 on May 16th.  I had bought an off-peak ticket to Baldwin from Penn Station because I was told by someone at the station it was off-peak time.  I don't take the LIRR often so I always try to ask before I buy my ticket.  The train was delayed that day by like a half hour, which was inconvenient because I had an event to attend that day, and my unlucky self was informed by a conductor that it was actually peak-time.  However, he was nice enough to not kick me off the train and gave me the invoice to pay the difference for the ticket.  In between finals week I misplaced my invoice and don't think I'll be finding it anytime soon. i intend to pay it but don't know how to go about it since I don't have the paper.  Does it matter if I have the invoice slip or not?  Do they have me on file at the ticket booth in Penn Station so I can pay there or will they send me a notice?  I believe the invoice said I had 14 days to pay the fare and the May 30th would be the last day for me to pay it.  I don't want any trouble or late fees.

Thanks in advance.

Do they have your name, address or anything?

If they do you can probably drop in and they can look you up, if they got all that information and you don't pay they might take it seriously, seriously as in MTA Police involvement, well probably not that seriously especially for a first-time offender but I honestly don't know what the procedure is. This is the MTA, and the MTA wants their money like the mob.

If they don't have your information you can probably just forget it and know better next time. Obviously there's no security cameras on LIRR trains so no one "has your picture" or anything like that.

You might want to call LIRR customer service so they can put you in contact with the proper department.  If the delay of the train made the difference of it being peak,  you should not have gotten charged for a step up.  Is there a chance that the person you asked at the station didn't know any better (a passenger as opposed to a LIRR employee)?

Chances are you are not on file at the ticket booth but at a back office accounting department.  If you went to the ticket window to pay, chances are you couldn't with out the invoice number as there is no guarantee it would be credited to you.

If you wait long enough they may send you correspondence in the mail based on the information given but in the mean time I would call customer service to take care of this in an expeditious fashion.

Archived