No. 1 resumes service after train derailed in Morningside Heights, stranding hundreds in sweltering

Harry

post-5097-0-96857200-1370100066_thumb.jpg
The No. 1 train is back on track Thursday morning after hundreds of straphangers were stranded aboard sweltering subway cars during rush hour Wednesday after it derailed in Morningside Heights. Two wheels on the lead subway car jumped their track about 5:50 p.m., disabling the southbound train a few blocks south of the above-ground W. 125th St. station. Sources said the cause of the mishap was a broken running rail. “We heard a loud bang, like a bomb,” said Jessica Martinez, 24, a nanny from Washington Heights. “The train just stopped. I was so anxious I was light-headed. I avoid trains at all costs.”

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-96857200-1370100066_thumb.jpg

You don't hear about subway derailments all that often. For the most part, the trains seem to stay on the tracks (despite some of them feeling like their about to hop off every now and then!)

There's a video online that was taken by a passenger inside the train right after it derailed. From what it looks like the people remained remarkably calm throughout the whole situation.

I heard about this mess... The pluses and minuses of the subway...

Meaning what? Other than all the 12-9s of late (causing disruptions), there haven't been that many subway derailments to say the subways as a whole is bad. It's still a fairly quick way of getting thru the city.

Meaning what? Other than all the 12-9s of late (causing disruptions), there haven't been that many subway derailments to say the subways as a whole is bad. It's still a fairly quick way of getting thru the city.

The subway is so over hyped these days... Yes, it's generally quicker than taxis and buses but not by much these days... More and more delays and problems and on the weekends, you're better off taking the local bus with half of the lines knocked out.

The subway is so over hyped these days... Yes, it's generally quicker than taxis and buses but not by much these days... More and more delays and problems and on the weekends, you're better off taking the local bus with half of the lines knocked out.

These are exaggerations..

Far from... 

Out of all the days you use the subway in the year count the number of days you experience significant delays and I assure you that number won't come close to 15%. If it does then it's more of a reflection on you rather than the system. It would mean you are traveling and not allowing yourself extra time in case things don't work perfectly like missing a connection and calling your tardiness a delay.

Out of all the days you use the subway in the year count the number of days you experience significant delays and I assure you that number won't come close to 15%. If it does then it's more of a reflection on you rather than the system. It would mean you are traveling and not allowing yourself extra time in case things don't work perfectly like missing a connection and calling your tardiness a delay.

No one is talking about me being tardy to work because I don't use the subway to get to work.  I use the express bus or MetroNorth for that.  I use the subway on weekends and off hours during the week in the city and I find it extremely slow.  The idea of using the subway is to get somewhere quickly that a bus or taxi can't compete with in terms of speed.  Often times of late I find myself waiting for long periods of time for a train and it taking longer than it should to get to my destination. Even the (MTA) admits that train service has continued to deteriorate with more and more trains being delayed and late.

No one is talking about me being tardy to work because I don't use the subway to get to work. I use the express bus or MetroNorth for that. I use the subway on weekends and off hours during the week in the city and I find it extremely slow. The idea of using the subway is to get somewhere quickly that a bus or taxi can't compete with in terms of speed. Often times of late I find myself waiting for long periods of time for a train and it taking longer than it should to get to my destination. Even the (MTA) admits that train service has continued to deteriorate with more and more trains being delayed and late.

Its not that bad as you're making it out to be...

Well nothing is as bad as it is according to you when it comes to the (MTA) ... Not surprised you would say that...

That isn't true at all...there's a shitload of things I find wrong with the (MTA), but constantly b1tching and complaining about it isn't gonna make things any better.

You just have to make due with the hand you're dealt with

That isn't true at all...there's a shitload of things I find wrong with the (MTA), but constantly b1tching and complaining about it isn't gonna make things any better.

You just have to make due with the hand you're dealt with

So you're basically saying the train system isn't as problematic as I've stated even though the (MTA) admits by the own figures that service has become worse over the years with more trains delayed and late.... Uh huh... 

So you're basically saying the train system isn't as problematic as I've stated even though the (MTA) admits by the own figures that service has become worse over the years with more trains delayed and late.... Uh huh...

You're making it sound like every single time you step on the train, something goes wrong...

You're making it sound like every single time you step on the train, something goes wrong...

Not at all because I actually avoid using the subway as much as possible, but the funny thing is that when I do it's usually delayed, hence why I avoid trying to use it.  This is usually during the weekends, when you would expect things to run smoothly which is the disturbing part.

Yep.... good ol' NYC.... ^_^

Guest Lance

Not at all because I actually avoid using the subway as much as possible, but the funny thing is that when I do it's usually delayed, hence why I avoid trying to use it. This is usually during the weekends, when you would expect things to run smoothly which is the disturbing part.

I don't know how you figure that when most construction work takes place during the weekend hours. If you're saying that necessary maintenance shouldn't be done on the weekends, I'll ask you this: when should it be done?

As for your claim that taxi service is better than the subway, all I have to say to that is "no shit". Of course a cab is going to be faster and better than the subway. It's two entirely different services and to make that kind of statement is the epitomy of comparing apples to oranges.

Not at all because I actually avoid using the subway as much as possible, but the funny thing is that when I do it's usually delayed, hence why I avoid trying to use it.  This is usually during the weekends, when you would expect things to run smoothly which is the disturbing part.

Why would you expect the subway to run more smoothly on the weekends? I take 2 trains in the AM, 2 trains in the PM every weekday and I'd say at least 90% of the time each trip takes no more than 3 minutes over what's advertised. 

Rush hour service is gametime for the system: Generally speaking there are as many riders every weekday as every saturday and sunday combined. The M-F AM and PM commutes are the systems busiest time, and when everything needs to be running most smoothly. The smallest delay when trains are running that frequently will stack delays all the way down the line. 

As Lance mentioned, on the weekends, when ridership is lower, they use the opportunity for construction and maintenance. Therefore, service is not going to run quite as smoothly as a weekday morning rush. 

I don't know how you figure that when most construction work takes place during the weekend hours. If you're saying that necessary maintenance shouldn't be done on the weekends, I'll ask you this: when should it be done?

As for your claim that taxi service is better than the subway, all I have to say to that is "no shit". Of course a cab is going to be faster and better than the subway. It's two entirely different services and to make that kind of statement is the epitomy of comparing apples to oranges.

I wouldn't even claim taxi service to be better than the subway. Last week I had a livery cab driver ignore me and his GPS and take me from Newark Airport to Astoria by way of Holland Tunnel to Brooklyn Bridge, through downtown brooklyn to the BQE. The first leg of my flight was shorter than this taxi ride. If it wasn't already paid for - I wouldn't have paid for it. 

Bottom line is every mode of transportation has it's problems. Even walking in this city you'll face closed sidewalks and rampaging delivery bicycles.  

Why would you expect the subway to run more smoothly on the weekends? I take 2 trains in the AM, 2 trains in the PM every weekday and I'd say at least 90% of the time each trip takes no more than 3 minutes over what's advertised. 

Rush hour service is gametime for the system: Generally speaking there are as many riders every weekday as every saturday and sunday combined. The M-F AM and PM commutes are the systems busiest time, and when everything needs to be running most smoothly. The smallest delay when trains are running that frequently will stack delays all the way down the line. 

As Lance mentioned, on the weekends, when ridership is lower, they use the opportunity for construction and maintenance. Therefore, service is not going to run quite as smoothly as a weekday morning rush. 

I wouldn't even claim taxi service to be better than the subway. Last week I had a livery cab driver ignore me and his GPS and take me from Newark Airport to Astoria by way of Holland Tunnel to Brooklyn Bridge, through downtown brooklyn to the BQE. The first leg of my flight was shorter than this taxi ride. If it wasn't already paid for - I wouldn't have paid for it. 

Bottom line is every mode of transportation has it's problems. Even walking in this city you'll face closed sidewalks and rampaging delivery bicycles.  

Because if I'm using a line NOT affected by construction then I don't see why we should be moving as if it's rush hour.  If there's construction on the line, then that's a different story.

Read my response above... 

With regards as to when it should be done, it seems like they can't make up their mind.  You have track work at night during the week that's supposed to be the so called "blitz" of the system.  Either do it on the weekends OR do it at night and pick one, but not both.  The whole point of the night work is supposed to be that it is done quickly with minimal impact.  The (MTA) already acknowledged that more and more people need subway service on weekends and that they need to do more to ensure that there are fewer disruptions during the weekends, especially when you consider that the trains are packed like sardine cans on many lines as it is.

Now as for this "claim" that you're talking about, you need to re-read what I wrote because that's not what I stated.

Guest Lance

I'm not going to argue semantics because if I wanted to do that, I'd rather get paid for it. You know what you wrote and I know what you wrote. Let's leave it there.

As for construction work, some of it can be done during the overnight hours. Some of it can't, either because it's on an outside line or the work that needs to be done will take more than five or six hours, so it must be done on the weekends. And before you suggest FASTRACKing more lines, that's not the be-all, end-all solution. Some situations will require more than a few nights a week per quarter shutdown in order for the necessary work to be accomplished.

I'm not going to argue semantics because if I wanted to do that, I'd rather get paid for it. You know what you wrote and I know what you wrote. Let's leave it there.

As for construction work, some of it can be done during the overnight hours. Some of it can't, either because it's on an outside line or the work that needs to be done will take more than five or six hours, so it must be done on the weekends. And before you suggest FASTRACKing more lines, that's not the be-all, end-all solution. Some situations will require more than a few nights a week per quarter shutdown in order for the necessary work to be accomplished.

Actually I've stated before that I would shut down lines as long as they were needed rather than piece mealing it.  It's done in Europe and I think it works very well.  You give alternatives to riders and provide extra service where possible and call it a day.

To add to this, FASTRACK is used for small-ticket maintenance work, much of which in non-FASTRACK corridors is done under traffic. Virtually all weekend GO's are for larger capital jobs and other tasks that can't take place in a few hours.

Weekend GO's are far more productive. It takes about an hour to set up the GO and another hour to undo it, so a typical weekend 53-hour GO gives 51 hours of productive work time while a typical overnight 5-hour GO gives only 3 hours of productive time. In other words, one weekend is equivalent to 17 nights. Furthermore, some tasks simply can't be done in 3 hours - for instance, it takes a lot longer than 3 hours for concrete to cure, so concrete pours can only be done on weekends.

Guest Lance

Actually I've stated before that I would shut down lines as long as they were needed rather than piece mealing it.  It's done in Europe and I think it works very well.  You give alternatives to riders and provide extra service where possible and call it a day.

Good luck trying to get riders to swallow that horse pill.

Archived