No. 1 resumes service after train derailed in Morningside Heights, stranding hundreds in sweltering

Harry

Good luck finding parking. Having a car in NYC is idiotic.

Having a car in NYC is not idiotic, having one is really useful in SI and certain parts of Queens.

Not to mention having a car is really useful for supermarket runs, if you live alone carrying loads of bags of food can be a bit much. No one wants to see some poor soul on the bus full of groceries during rush hour  :unsure: 

Also not everyone works in Manhattan, the subway is Manhattan centric and taking buses would be too long, its easier for these people to commute by car.

One of those damn transit versus auto debates again?

I get what you're saying and side with you 100%, but you need to have an approach that's less antagonistic, otherwise you're just going to get flamed for your beliefs.

This is not *entirely* true. Having a car in the outer boroughs can be extremely useful, especially if you happen to live in an area without subway service. What takes me an hour and a half in Queens by bus is a twenty minute car ride, assuming that there are no car accidents on the GCP, LIE, or Cross Island (sadly enough, this is almost never the case).

It's also extremely helpful when you want to buy lots of bulk items from a Costco or a Target, because I almost certainly would not do that and then bring my stuff home on a 2-bus ride involving the Q20B and the Q43. Not even a ride on low-floor arctics and on SBS routes would make that pleasant.

You do raise good points for owning a car in the outer boroughs, however when many are still commuting to work Manhattan or even Brooklyn it becomes less desirable. Combine that with the fact that Some don't even have off street parking at their residence and it's a tough sell.

And you also mention shopping while utilizing public transit. Personally I find it very possible after running errands using local buses for the last 15 years at least, but I admit that it does get tiring after a while.

Regardless that's the least of my worries. When compared to your standard bags of groceries I've brought way weirder item on transit, guitars, amps, and even a TV to name a few.

Having a car in NYC is not idiotic, having one is really useful in SI and certain parts of Queens.

Not to mention having a car is really useful for supermarket runs, if you live alone carrying loads of bags of food can be a bit much. No one wants to see some poor soul on the bus full of groceries during rush hour  :unsure:

Also not everyone works in Manhattan, the subway is Manhattan centric and taking buses would be too long, its easier for these people to commute by car.

Then I must be that poor soul, carrying at least 15 bags and a case of Poland Spring to top it off.

Honestly it just becomes routine.

Guest Charles

The painful thoughts of a youngster...you'll soon realize a car (even in NYC) is one of the best things to have.

And you also mention shopping while utilizing public transit. Personally I find it very possible after running errands using local buses for the last 15 years at least, but I admit that it does get tiring after a while.

Regardless that's the least of my worries. When compared to your standard bags of groceries I've brought way weirder item on transit, guitars, amps, and even a TV to name a few.

I've gone shopping both via car and public transportation, and the rule I go by is essentially if the store's in Manhattan, I'm taking the train. Otherwise I'm driving.

Then I must be that poor soul, carrying at least 15 bags and a case of Poland Spring to top it off.

Oh wow lol. That seems like a real PITA, then again in your location it says you live in Cali, maybe the buses are not as crowded out there as they are here in NY..? Not to mention the extended loading time it takes for you to get all your items on and off the bus.

I've gone shopping both via car and public transportation, and the rule I go by is essentially if the store's in Manhattan, I'm taking the train. Otherwise I'm driving.

Yeah, that seems like the routine with most people in this city.

Oh wow lol. That seems like a real PITA, then again in your location it says you live in Cali, maybe the buses are not as crowded out there as they are here in NY..? Not to mention the extended loading time it takes for you to get all your items on and off the bus.

Crowded buses, well it varies but usually only 90% of the seats are filled on a bus. My local route generally has on average 25 to 30 passengers on it per trip so not all that crowded.

Generally I can manage with my items as to not delay passengers, so not all that big of a deal.

Now, continuing on topic...

One of those damn transit versus auto debates again?

I get what you're saying and side with you 100%, but you need to have an approach that's less antagonistic, otherwise you're just going to get flamed for your beliefs.

You do raise good points for owning a car in the outer boroughs, however when many are still commuting to work Manhattan or even Brooklyn it becomes less desirable. Combine that with the fact that Some don't even have off street parking at their residence and it's a tough sell.

I mean (this is a particularly Queens-centric thing - I don't know how well it applies to the other boroughs) - when a store is surrounded by parking lots bigger than most big-box stores, and the bus route nearby comes every 30 minutes, a car looks more attractive. It looks even better when the neighborhood you live in is 100% residential and there's no easy way to get milk or perishables in a reasonable time without a car, especially in this summer heat.

It's all about the nature of the transit service. In a city like Bratislava, where there is a lot of service and a lot of duplication, I would opt for transit, every day. I lived in an apartment overlooking a loop where 3 frequent streetcar routes and at least 5 frequent bus routes terminated, so there was no need for a car.

In the suburbs, where service is very limited, a car is almost essential.

It's also extremely helpful when you want to buy lots of bulk items from a Costco or a Target, because I almost certainly would not do that and then bring my stuff home on a 2-bus ride involving the Q20B and the Q43. Not even a ride on low-floor arctics and on SBS routes would make that pleasant.

Certainly, but if the choice is between buying a car so you can drive to Costco or walking to a nearby supermarket or grocery store and paying a bit more, you're better off going to the nearby supermarket. That is, if you're buying a car simply to save money on groceries, you're probably paying a lot more for the car than you're saving on groceries.

Of course, in many neighborhoods, there are no grocery stores in walking distance. And that, I think, is quite unfortunate.

I mean (this is a particularly Queens-centric thing - I don't know how well it applies to the other boroughs) - when a store is surrounded by parking lots bigger than most big-box stores, and the bus route nearby comes every 30 minutes, a car looks more attractive. It looks even better when the neighborhood you live in is 100% residential and there's no easy way to get milk or perishables in a reasonable time without a car, especially in this summer heat.

Not Queens-centric at all - it's quite universal. And it's one of the arguments against mandated parking and in favor of mixed-use zoning.

It's funny - I lived in Fresh Meadows and life was impossible without a car. Granted I was commuting to Westchester. I move to Astoria, and all of a sudden I pretty much only drive to work. Then I get a job in Manhattan, and - well, does anyone want to buy an '03 G35? 5k or best offer.

I'm only half kidding. 

it either all the are defective in some ways or their geometry train need maintenance such as cleaning the lens and testing them to make sure it working correctly. My other notice was did they go up that way recently. the (MTA) should told the press how long ago the geometry train was up that way, since i heard on one of the tv show that they used it everyday. 

Archived