MTA Does a Terrible Job of Informing People about the Existence of Emergency Intercoms on NTTs

BrooklynIRT

In my experience working the NTT's, plenty of passengers know where the PEI's are, and most of them know how to properly. 9 out of 10 times, when the PEI gets activated it's because somebody hit it accidentally when the train is crowded - and when I say "Car 9000, what is the emergency?" EVERYBODY at that end of the car now knows what and where it is. The 10th time it's usually a sick customer, and once in a blue moon I'll get somebody screaming about the f**kin Yankees on it after a game. VERY VERY rarely do I ever get people hitting it to ask for directions.

And in case you didn't notice, there ARE signs on the train pointing it out. I don't get why you think this is a problem. *DANCING LOCK ICON!!!!!*

I'm with you 100% on this one Snowblock. Before I put my papers in I had 2 regular riders who were sightless (BLIND) and they knew where the PEIs were located. Their service dogs probably knew where the PEI was located. I remember an oldtimer told me to never underestimate the stupidity of my fellow New Yorkers because they would prove me wrong every time. I'd bet that tourists could figure out where and what the PEI is and how to use it. It's topics like this that leave me shaking my head. There is NO excuse for a person to be unaware of his/her surroundings. Carry on.

In all honesty it really doesn't matter if a small same size of people you know personally have no idea that the PEIs exist. It only matters that at least 1 person in that car at the time they are riding knows it's there and there is always at least one person who knows of it in a car full of 60 people.

In all honesty it really doesn't matter if a small same size of people you know personally have no idea that the PEIs exist. It only matters that at least 1 person in that car at the time they are riding knows it's there and there is always at least one person who knows of it in a car full of 60 people.

if the train is crowded and the person/people who know/s it exists cannot see/hear about the emergency occurring in his/her/their car, that person/those people cannot report it.

the real motivation behind this thread was a certain third-rail topic (not about the real third rail, no pun intended)..

..I was wondering if the under-reporting of sexual misconduct had anything to do with people not knowing about the intercoms.

disclaimer: I did say that the thread title "MTA does a terrible job doing so and so" may have been too accusatory.

I would think that since more trains have intercoms now, more of these incidents would be reported. that is not the case, according to at least several news sources.

Chances are that if the train you're on is crowded enough to be groped on, it's also too crowded to shuffle over and use the PEIs.

It'd also be better to go to an actual police officer, and not to a PEI, since it's not like a motorman or conductor can restrain and arrest a molestor (and by the time the cops they'll call actually get there, the guy is probably long gone, and NYPD will not really care either way.)

It'd also be better to go to an actual police officer, and not to a PEI, since it's not like a motorman or conductor can restrain and arrest a molestor (and by the time the cops they'll call actually get there, the guy is probably long gone, and NYPD will not really care either way.)

?

in response to the part that is not in bold, I would like to know what the actual procedure is if this stuff is reported through the PEI..

disclaimer: I am not looking for some laborious or outlandish procedure that would never be followed and would not make sense..unless it happens to be an MTA rule that is never followed and does not make sense. I seek the procedure that should be followed according to MTA rules.

Archived