Honest opinion/question no trolling or sarcasm please

ok well i'm new to this site but that's neither here nor there... i was just wondering can i have some HONEST opinions/guidance... before i get started i know that it would be wise of me to have a discussion like this with my parents not strangers on the internet but anyways im a 16 year old highschool student i dont have the best grades for college and i don't really like school im graduating next year and i was thinking about working for the mta (a transit pass the job pays and i get health benefits) and i want to be a t/o the only problem is i dont have the five years of work experience and i heard the only way you can become a t/o is by getting a promotion and i dont want to be a c/r can anyone preferably transit employees give me advice / opinions it would be greatly appreciated  :D 

Boy that is one lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggg sentence. Don't they teach you kids proper grammar in school anymore?  <_<

In all fairness, he did warn you.  :P

im a 16 year old highschool student i dont have the best grades for college and i don't really like school 

ok well i'm new to this site but that's neither here nor there... i was just wondering can i have some HONEST opinions/guidance... before i get started i know that it would be wise of me to have a discussion like this with my parents not strangers on the internet but anyways im a 16 year old highschool student i dont have the best grades for college and i don't really like school im graduating next year and i was thinking about working for the mta (a transit pass the job pays and i get health benefits) and i want to be a t/o the only problem is i dont have the five years of work experience and i heard the only way you can become a t/o is by getting a promotion and i dont want to be a c/r can anyone preferably transit employees give me advice / opinions it would be greatly appreciated  :D 

Well the current or former c/r's & t/o's on here can give you the best advice regarding that....

I understand college aint for everyone, so I feel where you're comin from with that (although I have a 2-year degree that I sometimes forget I even have!)..... FWIW, I hated my college years & was glad to have gotten the F' out when I did.....

But what I'm also gonna tell you is, don't go through life looking for shortcuts man... Especially when you don't have any chips on the table to bargain with (so to speak)... You have to look at it from the MTA's standpoint too - would you be an asset or a liability to them, coming fresh out of high school operating the city's subways.... That is a huge responsibility which quite frankly, I don't think anyone right out of HS is ready for.... Give yourself time to grow man.....

I'm not saying give up hope... What I'm saying is you have to go about doing things the right way.....

I sure as hell aint no success story, but there are plenty of things I've had to do when I was around your age, and beyond (such as public speaking... ughk) in order to get to where I am now.....

Otherwise, I like your attitude... Good grades & a degree helps, but it aint everything.

Well the current or former c/r's & t/o's on here can give you the best advice regarding that....

I understand college aint for everyone, so I feel where you're comin from with that (although I have a 2-year degree that I sometimes forget I even have!)..... FWIW, I hated my college years & was glad to have gotten the F' out when I did.....

But what I'm also gonna tell you is, don't go through life looking for shortcuts man... Especially when you don't have any chips on the table to bargain with (so to speak)... You have to look at it from the MTA's standpoint too - would you be an asset or a liability to them, coming fresh out of high school operating the city's subways.... That is a huge responsibility which quite frankly, I don't think anyone right out of HS is ready for.... Give yourself time to grow man.....

I'm not saying give up hope... What I'm saying is you have to go about doing things the right way.....

I sure as hell aint no success story, but there are plenty of things I've had to do when I was around your age, and beyond (such as public speaking... ughk) in order to get to where I am now.....

Otherwise, I like your attitude... Good grades & a degree helps, but it aint everything.

Good grades and a degree just gets you the hookup with others you can start a billion dollar business with similar to apple or microsoft. But If you just want to make money to take care of yourself school isn't everything it is what you make of it.

Honest opinion, I'd be surprised if the MTA even considers you with that monster of a sentence.

My opinion, you have to start somewhere, whether you like it or not.

LOL, if only you knew grammar isn't a priority here!

To the OP, as it was in the past you would have had to been a C/R, Tower Operator or Bus Operator (TA ONLY) in order to be eligible to take the promotional exam.  I am not sure if that will change now that they are hinting at only promoting T/O's from within.

I keep hearing that T/O is going to revert back to being a promotional-only title. While we have some excellent T/O's who came in off the street, it's been a hard learning curve for many of them, and it really is a title where it pays to have previous RTO experience.

Even C/R isn't going to be an entry-level position anymore. Over 10,000 people took the last exam, which shows that the MTA can afford to be more picky about who they hire now. Word is that the next open competitive C/R title is going to have a prerequisite of at least 2 years of solid customer service work experience.

Getting hired here is the easy part. Keeping your job is where you really need to have the skils and discipline. And if you don't like high school, odds are you are going to HATE this job.

After being hired, you have to take and pass tests. If you didn't like studying in high school, why do you think you'd do better in transit?

Boy that is one lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggg sentence. Don't they teach you kids proper grammar in school anymore?  

Honest opinion, I'd be surprised if the MTA even considers you with that monster of a sentence.

My opinion, you have to start somewhere, whether you like it or not.

Big thanks i agree and i'm taking everything you said into consideration.

Do you need Any degrees to get C/R job? Can you just show up perhaps bring a resume and get the job?

If I recall you only have to take a test...no degree, no 60 credits and such.  Even after you take the test, you have to wait to be called for another psych test I presume and more.

--

Another note, I know getting a degree means almost nothing in this day in age but it's always nice to have a back-up plan if something doesn't fall through.

• 7 months later...

This june right around the time you would be graduation a filing period is opening for the bus company as a stock worker. With what you said in this post you might want to consider applying for this job hopefully they don't require an crazy requirements. I want to be a C/R so i found a job to get started on my two years in case they do require it. I tell you to consider this stock worker job because this an entrance that many of us can use. The MTA is a large job FEAST. You just have to look at it other ways. Since we don't like school etc etc ( Dropped out my second semester of college ) apply for the stock worker job in june. If you get it you'll automatically be able to take promotion exams. Exams that you wouldn't be able to qualify for if you were coming from off the streets. Work as a stock worker for a few years because it's a city job chances are you'll be making more than minimum wage.Then when the motorman test comes take the promotion exam. You'll have an edge in points cause you'll be a vet in the mta. Then BAM you're somewhat high on the calling list. It may seem like forever, but if this job is what you want then you'll do everything you can to better qualify for it. Always remember work smarter, not harder.

Get a job with TA - any title that you are eligible for which has promotional lines to T/O.

Then follow promotional lines to get to T/O, or take the open competitive exam for T/O (if there is one) as a TA employee so that you build up the 5 years work experience while also building your pension. Also towards the 5 years - college - if you go, 30 credits = 1 year, up to a maximum of 4. Thus a 120 credit degree + 1 year work experience and you meet the eligibility for the test (assuming it doesn't change). If you work while attending college, that counts toward the 1 year as well. Part time work counts too, it's just prorated. So that job you have while studying in college that works 20 hours a week? Do that for 2 years and you got the 1 year of work experience, assuming you finish a 120 credit degree.

I will say that T/O is not for everyone. You need to be the kind of person that, when focused, can do something 100% accurate, be reliable, and responsible. To be a GOOD T/O You also need to be smart in a common sense way (NOT just book smart), have a mechanically inclined brain, and the ability to have a feel for something you are operating in motion.

A lot of people think they have these things, but they're not as easy as you might think from the outside.

And of course: you need to be friendly. Sure, as a t/o you're not getting as much in touch with people as, say, a b/o but your colleagues (or other transit personell you'll come in contact with) won't like it if you're unfriendly :)

My one concern is that this kid is going to lose his hearing too young by being around trains for long periods of time for purposes other than traveling. Does anyone working in the MTA want to comment on "hearing loss"? Is it even a serious concern?

My one concern is that this kid is going to lose his hearing too young by being around trains for long periods of time for purposes other than traveling. Does anyone working in the MTA want to comment on "hearing loss"? Is it even a serious concern?

Don't a lot of them wear those noise-cancelling headphones?

note, I know getting a degree means almost nothing in this day in age but it's always nice to have a back-up plan if something doesn't fall through.

I'm quoting you from a post over the summer I didn't know existed, I know....

But I agree with this. Younger ones needs to weigh out all their options as far as what is projected in terms of job growth. A college degree (in the correct field) I think is critical combined with work experience to make a successful and stable career. We don't know what may actually happen with the T/O open competitive exams to come in the near future. So it may be better long term to have that plan B and C if it comes down to it.

Wow I really thought this thread was dead, thank you to everyone who contributed with advice I really appreciate it +1s for all of you lol :P ... I'm DEFINITELY taking everything you guys said into consideration along with Two timers thread which has been very helpful I wish he would've made his sooner ah well. Once again thanks Everyone.

My question is why do you want to work for the MTA? Is it that you like trains or you just like the security and the pension. If its only the latter, I don't know if that would be enough to keep you happy there. There are other options also to enter the MTA to get the same benefits, by entering as an office worker. You don't have to have an operating position if that's not your thing. I can't understand why you want to be a train operator but don't want to be a C/R first.

A lot of MTA employees start as interns. Have you looked into what is available? It may be easier to get in with some college. Are you sure you want to dismiss it entirely. Since it is not that easy to get an operating position, I hope you have a back up plan. If you definitely don't want college, my advice would be to try and get a job doing something you enjoy.

My advice is to NOT go with NYCT if you want to work for the MTA.  I'd hire on Metro North or the LIRR.  They pay better, are Federally Certified, and have better benefits and work rules.  But before you do that, since you don't want to go to college, I suggest you join the military.  It'll give you the discipline and self confidence you need if you want a successful career in any part of the MTA.

Archived